Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:19 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, recently the touch functionality on my A5 120GB's screen failed. This was a replacement fitted by Archos a couple of years ago after the touch function failed under warranty. There wasn't then and isn't currently any visible damage to the screen which displays perfectly.
However I've found I can get the touch to work if I hold the Archos with my hand behind it, squeezing the base with my thumb and the top with my fingers. With this pressure applied the touch sensitivity works perfectly and sometimes for a while after I remove the pressure.
Does this offer any clues as to what's wrong and if it does, is there a fix?
many thanks
Ade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:34 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

No, no, you got it right. Your touch digitizer is in fact dying. The pressure you're applying may help some contact points, which have worn out, start working again. It needs to be replaced. You can send it to Archos again (if still under warranty) or purchase a replacement touch digitizer or full screen assembly from ebay and replace it yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Is this what I need?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Lcd-touch-screen-digitizer-for-Archos-5-LMS480KC01-/390308851835?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item5ae038707b#ht_2401wt_689
thanks again
Ade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:28 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

You're looking for part number "LMJ048T001A"

Source: http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php/Archos_5_Hardware

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi I managed to source a new digitiser on eBay however when I took the A5 for repair locally they refused to repair it as they said that separating the broken digitiser from the original (working) screen would likely break the screen. Has anyone had experience of this? Do I also need a new screen and then somehow attach the new digitiser to it?
Or has purchasing a digitiser on its own been a mistake?
Thanks
Ade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:17 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ACGArchos wrote:
Hi I managed to source a new digitiser on eBay however when I took the A5 for repair locally they refused to repair it as they said that separating the broken digitiser from the original (working) screen would likely break the screen. Has anyone had experience of this? Do I also need a new screen and then somehow attach the new digitiser to it?
Or has purchasing a digitiser on its own been a mistake?
Thanks
Ade

This is true, separating it can very easily break the screen. You need patience and care to do so. If you're afraid to do so, or are weary about breaking your screen, then you should purchase the full set; LCD + digitizer, which is what I did when it came time to replace mine (and, just for shits-'n'-giggles, I tried to separate it after, VERY easy to break). If you are fine with a crack, can still use the screen if cracked, still have an image after, you can just replace the digitizer. Note that the best way to do so is to solder wires from the new digitizer to the old digitizer ribbon which you can cut (see here for idea). I'd say you can still do it, if you're careful. Do it in a quiet place, so that you can hear any crunching or cracking that may or may not occur. If you hear any crunching or cracking, STOP. You will break the screen, it's not coming off easily. If you don't, keep peeling away.

mediate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. As I have a new digitiser now, is it an option to purchase a screen and attach the new digitiser? It would seem that it would only be worthwhile to do this if it enabled the use of a better screen, or is it the case that the screen itself is custom in which case I'd be as well buying the combined screen/digitiser?
Thanks again
Ade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:03 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ACGArchos wrote:
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. As I have a new digitiser now, is it an option to purchase a screen and attach the new digitiser? It would seem that it would only be worthwhile to do this if it enabled the use of a better screen, or is it the case that the screen itself is custom in which case I'd be as well buying the combined screen/digitiser?
Thanks again
Ade

In theory, you should be able to find it. Unfortunately, I haven't found any. They sell either digitizer or LCD + digitizer as one screen. However, most sellers do allow for returns due to wrong part (they ask for 2 way shipping to be paid). You could contact the seller (check the listing again, they specify how long you have. This one, for instance, states that you have 7 days from receiving it), and since the part itself is quite small (the box I received fit through the doorway mail dropper) you can prolly ship it with your local post office for quite cheap. Sorry it happened to you though ... :( and sorry because this will take a while to ship back.