Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Has anyone tried upgrading their Archos 5 with a Hitachi Travelstar 750Gb drive? I upgraded to 500Gb last year and have already filled it with music and video!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:43 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

as long as it's smaller than 2 TB, you should be fine upgrading to the hard disk. Since .75TB < 2 TB, you'll be fine with it. Fust make sure you format from archos and you'll get what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mediate wrote:
as long as it's smaller than 2 TB, you should be fine upgrading to the hard disk. Since .75TB < 2 TB, you'll be fine with it. Fust make sure you format from archos and you'll get what you want.
I dont think it will fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
Junior wrote:
mediate wrote:

Physically? It would be the same thickness as his 500GB drive already in there. 9.5mm, right? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:38 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

SHADO wrote:
Junior wrote:

Physically? It would be the same thickness as his 500GB drive already in there. 9.5mm, right? :)

Right. 2.5" SATA Hard drive. Just because a 2 TB 2.5" SATA drive doesn't exist yet doesn't make a difference :p Theoretically, if it did exist, THAT is your maximum capacity hard drive, and any larger and your FAT goes haywire.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Huh, ok I guess they made them even smaller. I know when the 640gb and 750Gb first came out they were slightly thicker than the 500gb.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
Junior wrote:
Huh, ok I guess they made them even smaller. I know when the 640gb and 750Gb first came out they were slightly thicker than the 500gb.

There are even 1TB drives that are 9.5mm thick now. Samsung and Western Digital are selling them. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

SHADO wrote:
Junior wrote:

There are even 1TB drives that are 9.5mm thick now. Samsung and Western Digital are selling them. :)

Wow. I wonder what compatibility is like with the Archos 5. Had anyone here tried a 1Tb upgrade yet???

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Pardon me, but I thought Archos 5 HD's were encoded with a unique serial and could not upgraded. I certainly would love to upgrade mine, especially since my 250 gb just died tonight =(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sum wrote:
Pardon me, but I thought Archos 5 HD's were encoded with a unique serial and could not upgraded. I certainly would love to upgrade mine, especially since my 250 gb just died tonight =(

Cheers!

See the link in post number 3 of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=35725&start=0&hilit=replacing+hard+drive

Or maybe read here:

http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

I have read the procedures in the past, but am fairly computer illiterate, so they might as well be written in Chinese. If you don't want to replace the drive yourself, if you look at posts above yours, you will see ones by forum user "Junior". Junior can provide replacement drives for you to install yourself, or you can send your unit to him and he will install one for you. I won't post a link to his website, as I am not sure if it is allowed here. I will send you the link in a PM (private message).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:03 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

SHADO wrote:
sum wrote:

Cheers!

Or maybe read here:

I have read the procedures in the past, but am fairly computer illiterate, so they might as well be written in Chinese. If you don't want to replace the drive yourself, if you look at posts above yours, you will see ones by forum user "Junior". Junior can provide replacement drives for you to install yourself, or you can send your unit to him and he will install one for you. I won't post a link to his website, as I am not sure if it is allowed here. I will send you the link in a PM (private message).
No, I cant upgrade these. As of the last couple of firmware, the hard drives have been locked to model number, serial number, and lba number. Which means no upgrade. Not through me anyway but you can still hack the thing and get it to work like that. I know at first you could exchange the hard drive with any model as long as it was the same size.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:48 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I can confirm that I was able to upgrade my Archos 5, which is running firmware 1.6.53, with a 500Gb Hitachi Travelstar. I'm just dying to know if one of the new 1Tb drives will work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

itm wrote:
I can confirm that I was able to upgrade my Archos 5, which is running firmware 1.6.53, with a 500Gb Hitachi Travelstar. I'm just dying to know if one of the new 1Tb drives will work.

That is one of the older firmware versions (and the best), so any reason why a 1TB drive might not work?

Last edited by SHADO on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Junior wrote:
SHADO wrote:
sum wrote:

Cheers!

Or maybe read here:

No, I cant upgrade these. As of the last couple of firmware, the hard drives have been locked to model number, serial number, and lba number. Which means no upgrade. Not through me anyway but you can still hack the thing and get it to work like that. I know at first you could exchange the hard drive with any model as long as it was the same size.

When I sent a PM to "sum" containing a link to your website, I explained to him that you can't install a larger capacity drive for him, but only the same size he already has. I should have mentioned it here as well. Sorry. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

itm wrote:
If you were able to upgrade it then I dont see why you couldnt put any hard drive in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:31 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Junior wrote:
itm wrote:
If you were able to upgrade it then I dont see why you couldnt put any hard drive in there.

I'm sure I've read other posts that certain 2.5" drives hadn't been compatible with the Archos when people had tried to install them. I went for the Hitachi last time because the original drive in the Archos was a Travelstar.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

itm wrote:
Junior wrote:
itm wrote:

I'm sure I've read other posts that certain 2.5" drives hadn't been compatible with the Archos when people had tried to install them. I went for the Hitachi last time because the original drive in the Archos was a Travelstar.

With about a dozen or so A5 I personally installed tried every brand and model number out there and non worked except the original with the right serrial number.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:11 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Junior wrote:
With about a dozen or so A5 I personally installed tried every brand and model number out there and non worked except the original with the right serrial number.

Try patched firmware ;) It should remove that check at boot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mediate wrote:
Junior wrote:

Try patched firmware ;) It should remove that check at boot.

Well, yes, "I" know that. But the people I sell the hard drives too dont want to deal with that. I do tell them its possible to upgrade if they want to try it themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, hope you dont mind me resurrecting such an old post, i was just wondering if its still possible to replace the hdd. i dropped it a few months after i bought it on ebay in 09 or 2010 (was brand new, but archos would not accept warranty for it as i did not have original receipt, only one from ebay)