Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Now i know this has been asked before but Okay so i was sitting on my couch about to leave for the day when i turned on my archos stood up and then dropped it.
When i picked it up though the screen just turned off, and then turned immediately back on. then it turned off, and repaeted itself about 3 times and then stayed off.

I tried turning it back on to find that my power button was broken and wouldn't come up, it just stayed stuck on the bottom. Then whenever i accidentally touch the button it turns on and off again. I also hear the hard drive click about 3 times and then it either just waits for a few seconds and shuts off or immediately shuts off.

I've tried pulling up the power button but it seems as if a spring or whatever kept it up is just broken and it wont stay up.

The clicking im afraid is a broken hd, any opinions? could this just the fact the the power button won't move?
The button is broken, had the hd not started making sounds i'd be all for sending in an rma, but if the hd is broken i'm afraid of being charged for pretty much the cost of a new archos.

What should i do, take it apart and see if i can repair this myself, send it in, or is my archos just as good as trash now?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have an Archos 5 160gb, and I had the same hd problem, the same noise, but without having dropped it.

Did you solve your problem in any way? I am going to return it to the shop for the warranty assistance the next week in any case, but I'd like to know if you managed through the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Crocen wrote:
Now i know this has been asked before but Okay so i was sitting on my couch about to leave for the day when i turned on my archos stood up and then dropped it.
When i picked it up though the screen just turned off, and then turned immediately back on. then it turned off, and repaeted itself about 3 times and then stayed off.

I tried turning it back on to find that my power button was broken and wouldn't come up, it just stayed stuck on the bottom. Then whenever i accidentally touch the button it turns on and off again. I also hear the hard drive click about 3 times and then it either just waits for a few seconds and shuts off or immediately shuts off.

I've tried pulling up the power button but it seems as if a spring or whatever kept it up is just broken and it wont stay up.

The clicking im afraid is a broken hd, any opinions? could this just the fact the the power button won't move?
The button is broken, had the hd not started making sounds i'd be all for sending in an rma, but if the hd is broken i'm afraid of being charged for pretty much the cost of a new archos.

What should i do, take it apart and see if i can repair this myself, send it in, or is my archos just as good as trash now?
It could be just the power button that's stuck. Open it up and just reseat it properly. The sata connection for the hard drive could also loose. That too is an easy fix. Its just a small ribbon cable that can get loose.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

MetalMan_The_Great wrote:
I have an Archos 5 160gb, and I had the same hd problem, the same noise, but without having dropped it.

Did you solve your problem in any way? I am going to return it to the shop for the warranty assistance the next week in any case, but I'd like to know if you managed through the problem.
If you hear a clicking noise from your Archos then its pretty much toast so just send it back to them and have it fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

if you don't care about warranty you can get a new drive and install the developer firmware, then the dual-boot setup and copy a real firmware over to it. As for the button see if it's stuck, broke, or needs to be resoldered.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I dropped mines, and it sounds like the same thing.. You could mistake it for a hard drive problem, but I think its just the switch (or is at least with mines). I turn mines on, about 10 seconds later, it powers off. Its because the switch is getting stuck on the pressed position, and thus doing a reset eventually and switching itself off...

I opened mines, found the little switch, but reseating made no difference... Any idea if this is an easily replacable component? It looks like something you might get from Maplins/Radio Shack, though I'm not a hardware expert...

Smid