Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just received a refurbed A5IMT. Trying to download music files from my PC. If I try to click-'n-drag "too" many at one time the A5 refuses to accept any more, I can't get on the internet, I can't delete the bad file, and "Drive needs to be checked....." I thought I had found a work-around by just dragging four or five folders which was going OK until one of the folders contained 387MB. The A5 went into the "balk" mode. I emptied the temporary files and cache to no avail. I've searched most of the posts on this topic. The only solution seems to be to do a scandisk. However, when I connect to my PC, I see the A5 on My Computer but when I right click on it and its Properties, there's no option to scan disk. I just wakened the A5 and I've got the "Fat is corrupted" message. Any suggestions, please?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

In your A5 settings, set the A5 to USB hard drive mode, then connect to your PC -- right click->Properties->"Tools" tab->Error Checking. If your unit is set to a Windows Media Device you won't have the option to run scan utilities.
With the error msg you are getting (FAT corrupt), I would recommend formatting the HDD, rather than running scan disk.
If your not able to boot up due to a corrupt FAT, then boot into recovery mode (hold power+Vol.Up), and format the drive. That will erase and re-make the partition table, and should boot up fine -- unless there is something wrong with the HD.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

once you have it fixed, leave it in hard drive "auto arch lib" mode and drag and drop directly to the music, video, etc folders and you shouldn't have a problem with too many files or their size.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

To Spz0 - thanks for the detailed procedure. Windows was "unable to complete the disk check." I then reformatted and it failed on my first attempt to drag 'n drop a file (350mb) to it. I smell an RMA coming on after less than 24 hours in my possession.

To Screwyluie: Thanks for the advice. I've been all over the A5 and I couldn't find anyplace to specify an "auto arch lib" mode nor did I see that as a choice on my PC when I attempted to do a drag 'n drop. Am I missing seeing something?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You can try running scan disk through a DOS window.
Hit "Start->Run"
type "cmd"
Hit enter.
A command window will pop up.
**Take note of what drive letter is assigned to your Archos unit when its connected to ur PC**
type the following command:
CHKDSK/F/R X:
*replace "X" with whatever drive letter is assigned to your Archos -- dont forget the colon after the drive letter.
This will run an indepth scan on your hard drive and attempt to recover any bad sectors that are on the disk. It could take a while, so be patient.

If that is unsuccessful:
You can also try a format through windows.
Right click the drive in My Computer, and choose Format. Keep the settings where they are (it should list "FAT32" under File System).
Im wondering if the recovery menu format on the A5 just does a "quick format" of the drive -- which means that it doesn't actually erase the FAT, just the data on it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

In regards to the dos window scandisk:
if it is still unsuccessful, try typing "chkdsk/F/X/R Z:" (with "Z" being your archos drive letter)
Remember that there is a space between the "R" and "Z"

What the "X" parameter does is forces the drive to unmount before it checks it (which could be the problem if it doesn't run successfully).

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks, Spz0. The CHKDSK/F/R X: found 171GB in bad sectors!?!?!. So, tomorrow begins the "Get The RMA process". There are other issues. The battery has not taken a charge. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Thank you very much for your concern and suggestions. Where would we be without this forum? I hope someone is as kind and helpful to you as you have been to me in this instance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ouch... 171Gb in bad sectors huh? Print out the report (if you got one), and send it in with the unit.
I would kindly ask them if they can put you on a rush list or something (if they even have such a thing), with all that you've been through, its the least they can do.
I found from reading other posts) that if your bitchy to the tech support, they have a way of making you pay in wait time. o.0

No updates on my unit as of yet. Day 7 and waiting patiently. With all the repairs they have to do, Im accepting in the fact that it will take a month or so to see results.
Im wondering if they'll be able to fix the headphone jack, or if I'll be getting a replacement. I honestly don't want a replacement, being that I know my unit is in A1 condition, asides from that jack -- I don't really want to risk getting a nerfed refurb..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I hear you but, could it really get worse? They got my money; the money worked; the Archos didn't....three times.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

well since the drive is borked, not too useful, but the auto arc lib is on the archos, settings > storage > usb preference > PC Hard Drive (auto-ARCLib)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
Screwyluie wrote:
well since the drive is borked, not too useful, but the auto arc lib is on the archos, settings > storage > usb preference > PC Hard Drive (auto-ARCLib)

Tools > settings > storage > usb preference > PC Hard Drive (auto-ARCLib). :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks. If I ever have a working unit I'll use that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well the other thing you can do is install the patche firmware and replace the harddisk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK. It seems to be working all right. This morning both my PC and Archos reported all hard drive space available so I proceeded to download my music OK. What caused CHKDSK to report 172GB of bad sectors? I think it was an intermittent USB socket. Full, boring details in my February 5th post in "Tech Support and Repair Inadequacy."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

unionpac2004 wrote:
Screwyluie wrote:

Tools > settings > storage > usb preference > PC Hard Drive (auto-ARCLib). :)

good call, thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, to all you guys having problem with the "dntbc(RO)" problem, last time I got this annoying error by trying to defragment my archos 5 hard drive with the utilities of winxp, then I trashed it, when that message pop out, the hard drive is in read only mode, so that's why it's unable to save any setting or have access to the cache or swap space it need to launch the web browser, but you still can make a backup of your contents, before taking the last resort, because the disk repair function in the recovery doesn't help, I had to format with the recovery menu and then copy a recent version of the firmware and reinstall it, thereafter I moved back my backup content, still the first time I tried to run the browser still get once the aforementioned "dntbc(RO)", so again another drive check by recovery menu, after all that oddisey, the archos 5 get to function properly, just all the settings and bookmarks from the browser was missing because it's seems that the low level format affected also the hidden partition. For some reason never scandisk or defragment your archos 5 with windows because it has some limitation dealing with fat32 and partitions larger than 32gb.

Hope my long explanation have given you insight :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

thanks for the insight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Spz0 wrote:
You can try running scan disk through a DOS window.
Hit "Start->Run"
type "cmd"
Hit enter.
A command window will pop up.
**Take note of what drive letter is assigned to your Archos unit when its connected to ur PC**
type the following command:
CHKDSK/F/R X:
*replace "X" with whatever drive letter is assigned to your Archos -- dont forget the colon after the drive letter.
This will run an indepth scan on your hard drive and attempt to recover any bad sectors that are on the disk. It could take a while, so be patient.

If that is unsuccessful:
You can also try a format through windows.
Right click the drive in My Computer, and choose Format. Keep the settings where they are (it should list "FAT32" under File System).
Im wondering if the recovery menu format on the A5 just does a "quick format" of the drive -- which means that it doesn't actually erase the FAT, just the data on it.

Lovely approach, I am both new to Archos hacks and Ubuntu and am wondering if there's a way to take this same tactic in Ubuntu (9.10)?