Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:34 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Since I couldn't get a hold of pbt (no repsponse) as to why his google maps app didnt work, I decided to fiddle with it myself and get it working.
Voila!
*edit:: updated file as of Jan 28 2010. Please read the latest post for current version updates.

DOWNLOAD HERE
http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt/a5-a7-widgets/google-maps

I've improved a bit on it by adding "Terrain" to the list of views. I'm still error trapping it (haven't been able to produce an error as of yet), so if anyone finds any errors please help me out by sending me a PM with the error. :)
Im also working on scripting "Street View" now. Its turning out to be a pain, and may not be compatible with flash 9 lite, but I won't know til I get the code working on the A5.

There is only one bug so far that I've found, that sometimes clicking the "show search" doesn't pop up the search box (usually only on the first attempt). Just Hide the search, and "Show" again, and it'll pop up for ya. I'll be working to fix this soon.

I'll keep this post updated as to my progress.

In the meantime, heres some screensshots.

Thanks and props to pbt for the initial code, ofc. ;)

Last edited by Spz0 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Been working on the street view script. I have managed to get the overlay going (the blue lines on the street), as well as enabling the user to 'click' a street to view it. All of this tested on a PC browser (FireFox). In opera, everything works, except for loading the streetview API.
I have not however, figured out a way to unload the street view, since the api version doesn't have a "close" button, and the API code is very shady in the area of removing or unloading streetview..

Im also left figuring out how to enable flash content in this widget on the A5.
As of now, the streetview overlay works on the A5, but the streetview flash api will not load (Opera compatibility issue Im sure.).
<commence scratching head>...

Last edited by Spz0 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Shouldn't this be posted in the Android forum instead?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This is a widget thats been re-designed for the A5 IMT, not the IT.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

My bad. So you're using the hack?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:28 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Spz0 wrote:
Been working on the street view script. I have managed to get the overlay going (the blue lines on the street), as well as enabling the user to 'click' a street to view it. All of this tested on a PC browser (FireFox). In opera, everything works, except for loading the streetview API.
I have not however, figured out a way to unload the street view, since the api version doesn't have a "close" button, and the API code is very shady in the area of removing or unloading streetview..

Im also left figuring out how to enable flash content in this widget on the A5.
As of now, the streetview overlay works on the A5, but the streetview flash api will not load (Opera compatibility issue Im sure.).
<commence scratching head>...

*update...
Got the streetview API to load in Opera -- just had a tweak a couple z-index values -- but,, it still won't load in the A5.
Now Im really lost. lol
Solve one, make 2 more...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:03 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've created a slide out box for the streetview API to load in and that seems to be working in Opera now (onclick:street).
LoL. But with all the troubleshooting Im doing, Im beginning to think that the A5's opera browser and flash9lite are incompatible with this API...
Could just be tired too...
As always, I welcome any/all input. :)

cheers.

Last edited by Spz0 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:07 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

munkytown71 wrote:
My bad. So you're using the hack?

Nope, works on my unhacked A7, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yeah, it should work on both hacked/unhacked.

Well, I pretty much have it finished up now. You can call on the "Show Street" button, and it will resize the map to 1/2 the screen, throw the streetview overlay onto the map, and populate the other half of the screen with the streetview API.
To remove the API, just click the "Hide Street" button, and the streetview overlay will unload from the map, the streetview API will unload, then the map will resize back to full screen.

Now the only problem is, to get the streetview flash API working on the A5. Everything up to and after enabling the API works, it just wont enable that flash view.... On the PC in the Opera browser, it all works fine.

Does anyone have any experience working with flash through javascript?
I'd like to pick brains with some ppl who have some java/flash experience.
Who knows... It could be that the streetview API isn't compatible with flash9 lite, or it is using flash 10 by default? Theres really no way to tell. I don't get any flash 9 errors on the A5,, the API side of the screen just stays blank. I've tried to set up a JS error function that will return an error msg if the flash module isn't supported, and I got no return error. So either the error function was incorrect (which I don't think is the case -- it worked fine in the Opera browser (PC) ), or the API is using flash9 and somethings just not jiving...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nice changes. I think flash ability is disabled for widgets altogether.

pbt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hey thanks m8. Thank you for providing the initial code. :)

Quote:
I think flash ability is disabled for widgets altogether.

LoL Well doesn't that just suck. hehe. =\
Ahh well, at least I got a nice widget for my desktop then huh?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
I think flash ability is disabled for widgets altogether.

This document seems to imply that it may be possible to enable flash plugins for widgets:
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/opera-widgets-security-model/#opera9

I intended to add some offline capability, like the ability to save directions so I could reference them later, but never got around to it. :) You've piqued my interest again; think I'll dive back into the code. Interested in teaming up for some further development?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I found it very helpful to test with Opera 9.02 on my desktop which I found here
http://www.oldapps.com/opera.php?old_opera=54
It's the same version as on the Archos 5. Especially with javascript errors as the JS engine is kinda old in this version.

pbt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sure thing m8. Love to pair up and get those changes made. I was also thinking of adding a "Save Directions" and callback option. Would be handy if say, you got lost, went to a starbucks and hopped on the wifi and got directions. You could save the directions to a remote file and call on them in an offline environment. :)
Send me a PM with your most used email account and I'll forward off what I've got so far (with streetview). Gmail acct would be great if you got one (for gmail chat).
My A5 is currently trudging along in the RMA process (broken headphone jack), so I won't be able to test that security protocol for the xml file on the archos for at least another month, so let me know how that works out once you receive the files.
I'll discuss more in email (bugs I've found, etc...).
Lookin forward to workin with you.

~Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:04 pm 

Thanks; this is pretty friggin amazing. Comes up in a weird mode claiming no map available and to unzoom (which doesn't help), but some further pokeing around gives great pix.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

What poking around? I had the same issue and didn't poke the right things apparently ....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It's a problem to do with the client.locator function in the map API. We're currently working on it (actually going to get rid of it I think).
Here is what the function is suppose to do:
The map API has a function to locate the clients IP address and translate that into a physical location. Meaning, when a user starts up the widget, the map locates their IP, translates that to an address, and starts the map zoomed in on the users IP address (physical address is approximate).

Here is where the problem lies:
Users who have firewalls set up that google does not have access to: the map will default to centralised United States.
Users who have no firewall, or have allowed google to access it openly: this script will run. (and turns out that it runs in-effectively).

So, we're going to remove this function and just call on the map to centralise on the continental USA. Should solve the problem.
Look for this solution here sometime tomorrow. I will update this post, as well as the download link when I have finished.

In the meantime, I have gotten around this by changing map styles. It seems to have worked. Also try typing in a set of directions, or using the "show search" function...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:19 am 

I think I got around it by changing map styles. Then if recognized where I am, so there was no original problem there. Maybe just a time delay in finding the location. I would hate to lose this feature because I mostly would use it traveling, as in overseas.

However I may have to update to your new version because I cannot bring up any menu for search location (only the from-to screen will let me change location). Otherwise this is so cool because I just returned an ipod touch whose only advantages were maps and skype (any chance in making a skype or truphone widget that works with archos fm microphone option?)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does this require the GPS add-on for the Archos 5 IMT?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nope, Just an Archos 5/7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Heres an updated file.
I was going to get rid of the client locator feature, but I have tried to reduce the zoom setting on it instead.
Since my unit is in RMA at the moment, I cannot test this. Can someone please test this file for me to see if the zoom feature is fixed?
Preferably someone who knows the locator feature works on their unit (ie. no firewall, and/or router allows google maps open access).

Thanks so much. :)

**link removed

Last edited by Spz0 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.