Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Version 1.7.02 - October 21st, 2009

New:

* Video: VOB subtitles are now supported
* Video: Now recognize subtitle filenames with the language added between the movie name and the extension

Bug fixes:

Video Subtitles: Player was hanging when there was an empty .SSA file

Video: Some MP4 files containing MP3 audio didn't play well

Video: Some MPEG-4 files didn't play well

Video: Some FLV files didn't play well

Video: Animated thumbnails didn't loop correctly

Music: Artist name containing "/" were not displayed correctly in the tab of the Music Browser

Music: Device could reboot when cleaning the Playlist while in shuffle mode

Music: Device could freeze when toggling from FM radio to Music Player in queue mode

TV: There was some OSD display glitches while playing some video files in 720p mode

Web: Allow to play local video files from the Web Browser

Home Shortcuts: some shortcuts had truncated names

Home Shortcuts: There was issues in the shortcut manager when more than 50 shorcuts had been created

System: There was some issue with the download manager when the hard drive was full

Virtual keyboard: There was issues when writing an e-mail with a non-latin language selected

GUI: Update Arabic, Bulgarian, Hebrew, Italian and Spanish translations

GUI: Bulgarian virtual keyboard had a duplicated letter and one missing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:04 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

NICE FIND!

Thanks a lot archos...glad to know that we haven't been forgotten.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:13 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

vl4doman wrote:

New:

* Video: VOB subtitles are now supported
* Video: Now recognize subtitle filenames with the language added between the movie name and the extension

Bug fixes:

WOW, this will make a massive difference to so many people. I'm glad to see that archos are sticking to form by NOT fixing anything worthwhile. They know the issues and once again have chosen to ignore them. :( :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Full detail:

New:

Video: VOB subtitles are now supported

Video: Now recognize subtitle filenames with the language added between the movie name and the extension

Bug fixes:

Video Subtitles: Player was hanging when there was an empty .SSA file

Video: Some MP4 files containing MP3 audio didn't play well

Video: Some MPEG-4 files didn't play well

Video: Some FLV files didn't play well

Video: Animated thumbnails didn't loop correctly

Music: Artist name containing "/" were not displayed correctly in the tab of the Music Browser

Music: Device could reboot when cleaning the Playlist while in shuffle mode

Music: Device could freeze when toggling from FM radio to Music Player in queue mode

TV: There was some OSD display glitches while playing some video files in 720p mode

Web: Allow to play local video files from the Web Browser

Home Shortcuts: some shortcuts had truncated names

Home Shortcuts: There was issues in the shortcut manager when more than 50 shorcuts had been created

System: There was some issue with the download manager when the hard drive was full

Virtual keyboard: There was issues when writing an e-mail with a non-latin language selected

GUI: Update Arabic, Bulgarian, Hebrew, Italian and Spanish translations

GUI: Bulgarian virtual keyboard had a duplicated letter and one missing

I am very pleasantly surprised that an update has been released, so applause to Archos for releasing something, but there's no mention of the network SMB share access problem and no mention of ARCLib optimisations / fixes (I still have to perform a full "clear temp files and cache" to add any new music to the ARCLib; a simple reindex does not work).

Anyone loaded this yet and got anything to report? I am at work currently, so cannot upload the firmware to my Archos...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Can a moderator please sticky this new thread and unsticky the previous firmware thread?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The network/SMB problem is still not resolved.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mtech wrote:
The network/SMB problem is still not resolved.

Damn... :-(

This one does amaze me a bit... They had it working, broke it and have failed to fix it... They definitely know about this issue, as I have raised tickets (as have many others people) with them on a couple of occasions...

Bizarre...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

First time poster here.
By network/SMB do you mean accessing a shared network drive? If so, well, I just successfully installed 1.7.02 on my archos 5. I restarted it then went to files, network etc, and my shared drive appeared there! I am presently streaming music files wirelessly from my PC through router to the archos as in days of old :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

grnxf wrote:
First time poster here.
By network/SMB do you mean accessing a shared network drive? If so, well, I just successfully installed 1.7.02 on my archos 5. I restarted it then went to files, network etc, and my shared drive appeared there! I am presently streaming music files wirelessly from my PC through router to the archos as in days of old :)

Interesting... How is your share configured? What OS are you using? Are you using "simple" security? Is there local or domain security on it?

Also, was this working for you prior to this upgrade?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm amazed at this update!
That would mean that maybe Archos will take care of use previous gen owners!!! (or maybe they figured that with all the problems on the a5a, they would also fix the a5 also and keep some of the population happy!!)

Keep it up Archos!

(still, I wont update until I see more owner reports cause I'm not sure if we can rollback FW versions on these players!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yes, well first off, this feature has NOT worked for me since updating to firmware 1.6.54 i believe. It WAS working with whatever was on the A5 when I bought it in July.
Anyway, my 7 yr old PC is running Windows XP, and I have a single folder shared on our windows home network (ie under the folder's properties 'share this folder on the network' is checked) that was setup by windows home network wizard long ago. Sorry i dont know what you mean by simple security. As for local or domain security are you asking about the router setup? i believe we're using wep/wireless mac filtering here...
I'm really glad this is working once again. Its still inconvenient that the share must be accessed through the 'file' command on the 5, rather than as a UPNP share under the music button.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I agree with eagle1.....

I think I'll also wait a while before thinking about upgrading. I had loads of problems with 1.6.54 and had to send my first Archos 5 back. My new one is running 1.6.04 (which curiously isn't listed in the updates history) and I haven't experienced any problems yet... I've had it a week today!

Also, does anyone know why these upgrades can't be downgraded after installation?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've installed this update today. After a few hours, I'm not seeing any horrible issues with my normal functions - video player, music player, web browser (basic).

The video does seem to be a bit more washed out than the .53 firmware- required some tweaking of backlight, contrast and brightness.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

grnxf wrote:
yes, well first off, this feature has NOT worked for me since updating to firmware 1.6.54 i believe. It WAS working with whatever was on the A5 when I bought it in July.
Anyway, my 7 yr old PC is running Windows XP, and I have a single folder shared on our windows home network (ie under the folder's properties 'share this folder on the network' is checked) that was setup by windows home network wizard long ago. Sorry i dont know what you mean by simple security. As for local or domain security are you asking about the router setup? i believe we're using wep/wireless mac filtering here...
I'm really glad this is working once again. Its still inconvenient that the share must be accessed through the 'file' command on the 5, rather than as a UPNP share under the music button.

Thanks for sharing your findings...

It is very interesting to hear that it defiitely wasn't working for you prior to this latest firmware and makes me feel optimistic.

Your OS and security sound standard for a standalone XP installation. By domain security, I mean security controlled by a Windows 2003 Active Directory Domain Controller server. I use this method, which is used in company networks, rather than the more simple model provided in a standalone installation. This does involve extra complication, such as more granular permissions and also other levels of authentication (such as Kerberos). Don't worry about all that, as it works for you "as is"!

uPnP sharing is not performed using this method; instead you can set this up using either Windows Media Player (go to "Library", "Media Sharing" and enable it in there) or using a third party application, such as TVersity. I personally use TVersity to share my media files and use the networking access that we are discussing here for other types of file on my network.

Try the Windows Media Player method and see if it meets your needs...

Anyway, I am now quite tempted to install this new firmware and give it a go...

Thanks again...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, I have updated and it's still not working... :(

I can browse the network, it picks up my domain and then my server. Opening the server object shows an empty list of shares (there should be loads).

I have tried entering my login data at the screens showing the domain and the server name, but this does not work at either point in multiple formats:

domain\username
domain/username
username

I have even tried creating a new share with no permission (Everyone has Full Control) and this still hasn't worked.

Disappointed...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yeah, before the 'empty' bug, it kept prompting me to enter 'login data and password' or something even though i dont have a password for my windows account. I could never see my shared folders as a result. I wonder if your setup is like mine with a single computer, no home network, but able to right click folders and say 'share'?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

btw, whats this fix about "when toggling from FM radio to Music Player in queue mode". my 5 doesnt have a fm radio mode, does it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:07 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Just updated, running smooth.
Let's see what Archilles can do about this update. You know, his November 5 stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A few days ago i wrote to Archos because i can┬┤t choose an alarm-file for the daily alarm clock. There┬┤s just not an option or anything else to choose a file. So i wrote them and yesterday i got this mail with it┬┤s only message to update my firmware, nothing else. So i updated my firmware and there┬┤s still no option for me to choose an file for the alarm clock, so what Archos??? [-X

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Someone PLEASE HELP ME!!! I downloaded and installed this new firmware update today, but right after charging on my archos was a bit iffy, I was charging via my tv snap on and I never have problems. after a while it just stopped charging completely. And right now now the battery is so low it wont turn on, and it wont charge, even via usb cable. does anybody know what to do? please help me.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next