Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So I'm reading from this post is that when(if) Adobe releases an update, Archos will release firmware updates for the A5/7 IMTs? This will be the first firm answer on this question since it was first asked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:14 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

The latest on the Apple / Nokia / Opera, Adobe Battle
There may be hope yet.

May 28, 2010 8:03 AM PDT
Nokia, Opera side with Adobe on Flash
Nokia and Opera Software have taken sides in the Adobe-Apple battle over Flash multimedia support: They are in the Flash camp.

On Thursday executives from Nokia, the world's largest maker of cell phones, and Opera Software, the maker of a leading mobile browser, said they'd support the new Flash 10.1 software that is coming out. Opera's co-founder Jon von Tetzchner was quoted as saying "It is the only proprietary part of the Web we support."

Getting these two companies on board, as well as Google's Android, which also supports the software, is a big win for Adobe Systems in its battle against Apple. Last month Apple CEO Steve Jobs knocked the Adobe Flash multimedia software, which is used in most Web video and games, for being proprietary, sapping battery power, not supporting multitouch interfaces, posing security risks, and being unstable. "Flash is the No. 1 reason Macs crash," Jobs said in his open letter detailing the many reasons that Apple doesn't support the software.

Flash-based video and games are found on many Internet sites. And the technology is supported on most smartphones and mobile devices. But Apple does not allow Flash on any the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.

Adobe has accused Apple of simply trying to control the market. The battle has heated up over recent months with a war of words and with players in the industry are starting to take sides.

Nokia and Opera are just the latest companies to side with Adobe. Earlier this week it was reported that Time Warner and NBC Universal have told Apple they won't spend the time and money to rework their Flash-friendly video libraries to make them compatible with the iPad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I thought I would post this for everyone I have been in discussions with the Trading Standards and Advertising Standards Authority and Archos for over a month now.

Archos has been told by both Agencies that the fact that they continue to advertise the product as Full Web Browser and Support of youtube when it clearly does not work is in violation of UK Law.

They have also been advised that the product was sold as compatible with YouTube and since it is no longer it falls foull of the Sale of Goods act 1979 and they will have to offer refunds.

I am waiting on someone calling me from Archos Legal within the next week to discuss this matter but Trading Standards are looking to bring charges against Archos over this issue.

I will update when/if Archos get back to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

SAS wrote:
I thought I would post this for everyone I have been in discussions with the Trading Standards and Advertising Standards Authority and Archos for over a month now.

Archos has been told by both Agencies that the fact that they continue to advertise the product as Full Web Browser and Support of youtube when it clearly does not work is in violation of UK Law.

They have also been advised that the product was sold as compatible with YouTube and since it is no longer it falls foull of the Sale of Goods act 1979 and they will have to offer refunds.

I am waiting on someone calling me from Archos Legal within the next week to discuss this matter but Trading Standards are looking to bring charges against Archos over this issue.

I will update when/if Archos get back to me.

I believe this will go no where but I wish you the best of luck. Archos is expensive garbage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
I think it is likely that Archos will add Flash 10.1 to the old generations as possible as well. Especially if Adobe designs it so that it is relatively easy to just pull out the old Flash Lite and put in the new one. Making interoperability easy is the job of Adobe and I would expect that Adobe is working on this.

So I would expect it to actually be easy for Archos to update Flash.

No guarantees though.

Anyways, complaining about no Flash 10.1 support at the moment is simply misguided because no product in the world has that support until Adobe releases it in the next few months.

Why it is misguided? I just go an response back from Archos technical support telling me Archos is not certain if an update is to be released on flash 10.1. If playing youtube video is a major functionality and Archos advertised as such. Archos should provide an update. It is Archos choice to make the OS closed (no one can update or install anything). It is Archos's choice to choose flash player. IPOD can play youtube without flash player. If archos is not updating firmware to support youtube, I will join any lawsuit against archos.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:02 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Honestly ppl give it a rest and calm down..
Gen6 devices are older devices -- amazing in their time, being fully functional web devices and all [and still are for all intents and purposes] -- but obviously not the focus of archos' forward momentum. Yeah, its kind of a bum deal that they haven't released an update -- thats not to say that it may or may not happen in the future -- but to start crying 'lawsuit' is absolutely ridiculous for so many reasons, most importantly being that using a little common sense (perhaps doing research on how old the device you are buying is, compared to technical advances in web programming and design) would tell you that these devices are older and will naturally encounter problems with modern internet advances..
Get over yourselves and save up for a newer model, or go buy a precious ipod (which Im sure as ipod releases newer and newer devices in the future, the same problem will occur as in archos gen6)...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What you are suggesting is that we save money to buy product from a company with most crappy service. I do research or not has no bearing on Archos support of most advertised feature.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

petersun21 wrote:
What you are suggesting is that we save money to buy product from a company with most crappy service.

You seem to have not paid attention to anything I wrote in my previous post.
What I am stating is that Gen6 is an old device, and old web devices will most definitely run into problems with modern web advances. Its common sense.

What I am suggesting is that people do their research before purchasing an old device and expect it to perform flawlessly with all modern technology... Think about it -- also common sense.

A side-long suggestion is to perhaps save up for a newer generation model to catch up with the times. You Do this in all facets of life -- with your car, your computer, your cell phones, tv's and dvd players. Seems only logical to do the same with your portable media devices, no?

petersun21 wrote:
(whether or not) I do research or not has no bearing on Archos support of most advertised feature.

Actually it does. If you did your research before purchasing, you would see that most sites have upgraded to flash10. Further research would tell you that this old device does not have support for flash10 yet (clearly stating on archos.com that it supports flash9), resulting in double-thought about purchasing this device and maybe buying a newer model?

All these points are valid, and logical. Just do your research, and/or catch up with the times -- simple as that. Crying will get you no where.

[/end]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

my02vr6 wrote:
I have a 7, but seeing as this forum gets more traffic than mine, I'm posting this here. Ther practically the same anyway...

I just found this with a quick search for it: Flash 10

Anybody heard anything new about it? Looks like they were a little behind...

I just read this. Looks like its out, but not fully released yet.

Adobe wrote:
When is Flash Player 10.1 expected to be generally available?
General availability is expected for the first half of 2010.

I am not sure which world you are living in. Users should be happy when they have to wait for a year to have one major functionality working according to you post.

This should quiet a few folks that keep questioning why Youtube and other video sites aren't working anymore and why Archos isn't releasing an update yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

nz wrote:
siddys wrote:
my02vr6 wrote:
As I said above, Adobe has not released mobile support for Flash 10 yet, so as Youtube upgrades their system to Flash 10, some videos will still be in F9 while all the new ones are in F10.

An easy fix for some people has been to open the video in a new window. That seems to work most of the time.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers my02vr6

Opening it in another windows works a treat, top tip

Thanks again

Use a simple logic, if it works opening another window, it is not flash problem. Why ARCHOS is blaming flash players all this time?

try also http://www.youtube.com/xl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

petersun21 wrote:
I am not sure which world you are living in. Users should be happy when they have to wait for a year to have one major functionality working according to you post.

This should quiet a few folks that keep questioning why Youtube and other video sites aren't working anymore and why Archos isn't releasing an update yet.

Im living in a world of logic, rationality and common sense.
Its an old device -- flat out. Logic
The chances of them keeping up support for an old device such as this are slim. Rationality
Users should think about upgrading instead of crying about a pointless lawsuit that can't be won. Common sense..

http://www.youtube.com/xl is a good alternative -- I've had a lot of luck with it (but more luck with just installing linux)

Take my suggestions or leave them. Whatever. This is all Im going to say on this subject. I don't want to insight a flame fest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey guys!! Try google video, it works much better than youtube xl.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Spz0 wrote:
petersun21 wrote:

Im living in a world of logic, rationality and common sense.
Its an old device -- flat out. Logic
The chances of them keeping up support for an old device such as this are slim. Rationality
Users should think about upgrading instead of crying about a pointless lawsuit that can't be won. Common sense..

http://www.youtube.com/xl is a good alternative -- I've had a lot of luck with it (but more luck with just installing linux)

Take my suggestions or leave them. Whatever. This is all Im going to say on this subject. I don't want to insight a flame fest.

there's nothing rational or common sense about putting up with poor product support and customer service. the a5 has been a partially functioning unit since release. i'm amongst many loyal to the brand and whom have to continually shell out for hardware upgrades and aggressive cyclic upselling for the same old peripherals and functionality that should come out of the box.

i checked back today in the hope of some movement on the flash and mkv issue, and nothing. there are now suitable rivals and archos just lost another customer. hope they go under.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:57 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
[quote="Synesthesia]i checked back today in the hope of some movement on the flash and mkv issue, and nothing. there are now suitable rivals and archos just lost another customer. hope they go under.[/quote]

Yes, it has become painfully apparent that we have a better chance of meeting up with the tooth fairy than we do of getting flash 10 and mkv support. *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Funny nobody is complaining about Opera. Flash will be handled in the browser in most cases and Opera has released newer versions of the browser on the desktop. To fully utilize this would mean tweaking the browsers. I have a gen 7 and a gen 6 and I can tell you the Chrome browsers in the gen 7 is way nicer, but the new desktop Opera is much improved.

I just replaced the 250 GB drive in my unit with a 500 GB drive and installed dual boot SDE. We'll see how it goes. I'm copying media files now into that spacious new drive. Meanwhile I'm thinking of installing Meego in the multi boot menu.Hey, why should Archos and Opera fiddle with something they will no longer be selling. Anyway I tried a Flash plugin for Android 2.1 on a Samsung Galaxy S and it brought it to it's knees. It needs optimizations. I'm going out on a limb and saying that Flash 10.1 will not likely ever be a very satisfactory experience on gen 6, but thankfully Archos made it so some bored hacker with way more time than money can for sure do it if they want.

As for me I'd like to see gen 8 or perhaps a dual core 1.5 GHz Snapdragon core. Moores law says gen 6 is a good media player and hacking toy and the last thing I want for cutting edge processor heavy applications.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

They seem to be blaming Adobe I sent them a kinda of mean but understanding message about Flash not working on a lot of things. They replied with this for my Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Donut 1.6

"The reason that you are getting this error is because a lot of sites, such as
YouTube, have upgraded to Flash 10 and this unit utilizes Flash 9 Lite. Adobe has
not updated Flash Lite beyond what is available already on your unit in quite some
time and because of this we are unable to provide an updated version of Flash to
broaden the online video playback of the device. When Adobe releases an updated
version of Flash lite we can adapt this to a firmware update for the unit which
can be installed from our website or through the wifi connection on your device.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you,
Brian D
Archos Technical Support "

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:16 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Okay, I know this is an ANCIENT thread, and clearly the posters who "mostly" dominated this thread were sort of clueless about some issues... I don't want to dredge any of that up again. We all know that when Archos released this product, Flash9 was the latest version, and that the release of Flash10 by Adobe, and the subsequent adoption of this before it was available on many devices (including this one) subsequently reduced the utility of this device on Flash-based sites and applets. No need to worry any of that again.

What I AM curious about is this... has anyone ever found a way to get Flash10 running on this device? I know that Archos has walked away from this product, which is (in their product plan, at least) at "end of life." So I'm not asking about a potential upgrade from Archos.. we all know that's not gonna happen.

But we also know that Flash10 is now able to be obtained in "code" form, and has been ported to other platforms, including various "nix" OS's. And since the A5IMT is, in essence, a "nix" OS... I imagine that SOMEONE might have come up with a way to do this.

Likely not, but I may have missed it, and if I did, I'd sure like to know about it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:26 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

In theory, you should be able to, at least on Angstrom, but I haven't tried it. You may be able to if you can modify the firmware enough to push an installer, but it could also break other functions. If you want to try, go for it, but I wouldn't know where to start with this.