Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Car Audio Receiver
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:12 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I am looking to by a in dash car audio receiver that you can hook a usb harddrive to. Has anyone tried to hook the A5 to a car harddrive receiver? Since the A5 can act like a harddrive, one would think that the receiver could in essence fully control the harddrive/ music. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Post subject: Re: Car Audio Receiver
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I would assume it can work, next time I see my brother I could ask to try it on his head unit. He has a Kenwood single-DIN unit with a USB input that he leaves a 4GB flash drive connected to. He did say though that the method of navigating through folders is slow and would probably be a pain with more than 4GB of space.

I once listened to some music on my PC streaming the files via USB off my Archos, and the Archos seemed to get much warmer than usual. I don't know if the hard drive never spins down when using USB or what, but might be something to check first.

There is also the option of just getting a head unit with an aux in and streaming the music from the headphone port.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
I would assume it can work, next time I see my brother I could ask to try it on his head unit. He has a Kenwood single-DIN unit with a USB input that he leaves a 4GB flash drive connected to. He did say though that the method of navigating through folders is slow and would probably be a pain with more than 4GB of space.

I once listened to some music on my PC streaming the files via USB off my Archos, and the Archos seemed to get much warmer than usual. I don't know if the hard drive never spins down when using USB or what, but might be something to check first.

There is also the option of just getting a head unit with an aux in and streaming the music from the headphone port.

I would appreciate if you did that.
That would suck if it got too warm while playing that way. Something to think about.
I have a aux in now, the sound isn't bad but could be better. Maybe I could use a dock instead. i just thought it would be easier to use the stereo instead of looking down at the A5 every time I need to change a song or what not. I know there is the FM/Remote option so I don't have to do that, but a rf/ir remote would be nicer. I don't want to get the DVR dock just to have a remote in the car.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:34 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

brdystyls wrote:
I am looking to by a in dash car audio receiver that you can hook a usb harddrive to. Has anyone tried to hook the A5 to a car harddrive receiver? Since the A5 can act like a harddrive, one would think that the receiver could in essence fully control the harddrive/ music. Am I wrong in this assumption?

If I'm not mistaken, there's an In Car Audio Remote plug in for this coming soon...

Seriously though, I think the chances of you being able to control the 5 with your car's audio controls are less than zero.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i have the jvc kd-pdr80 in my suv. it has a usb port in the face. the 5 works fine with it (as far as playing music and sounding fine), but the first time you plug it in, it takes FOREVER to index the music (i have about 4000 songs) -- once it's been indexed, it doesn't take long the next time you plug it in. also, while it will read and display the tags, it only is sortable by things like genre or artist if you have an ipod (shocker). it just sorts it out in the order of the album folders on your 5. basically, i've found it to be unwieldly, and i have opted to either use the aux in jack instead (also on the face of the head unit).

it's stuff like this that, despite my irrational dislike for apple, makes me wish for a 64gb ipod touch.

anyway, yes, you can use the head unit controls to skip songs, scroll through your folders, etc. or you can use the jvc remote that comes with the head unit.

edited to turn "7000 songs" into "4000 songs." :(

Last edited by nova on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

carheex316 wrote:
Seriously though, I think the chances of you being able to control the 5 with your car's audio controls are less than zero.

It wouldn't really be controlling the 5, just using it as a hard drive and controlling what file is played off of it.

I use my Archos in Hard Drive mode usually anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. The main reason I am looking at going the carputer route instead of a Navigation head unit though is the lack of voice control for anything but Ipods from what I can find.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

i have sony deck with usb and my archos 120 doesnt work with it. it just sits on a 'reading' screen. how long did it take for yours to index files?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

varunaX wrote:
i have sony deck with usb and my archos 120 doesnt work with it. it just sits on a 'reading' screen. how long did it take for yours to index files?

i'll time it for you. i've since installed the hd radio and bluetooth modules, and disconnected the battery to do so. so it will have to reindex. i'll let you know (along with how many songs and how much it is in GB).

ok, it took about 1 minute 10 seconds to index. the music folder on my 5 is 23.9 GB -- it's 4047 songs (sheesh, i thought i had a lot more than that).

anyway, make sure you go into tools/settings/storage, and set it to "PC Hard Drive." when you connect to your head unit, select "enable USB" on the archos. at least, that's what works with my JVC.

like i said, on the JVC, the browsing function on the head unit is pretty rudimentary, since the head unit is made with the ipod in mind. but you can do it, if that's your bag.

Last edited by nova on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You great nova!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 am 
Archos User
Archos User

didnt work for me. 3 mins and it was still reading. i guess some decks work and somedont

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Have any other hard drives worked with your unit?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ive only tried a 1 and 8 gig flash drive and they work

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Possible it is a HDD vs flash problem. Or maybe there is a limit on the size of the volume your head unit will read.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

well i waited 10 mins and it finally was able to read the archos. guess i just have a ton of music!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

just curious, to those with an AUX on their deck, when you have your archos connected to USB in 'charge only' and try to play music via AUX, do you get a real high pitched feedback in the speakers that gets louder when you step on the gas? what could be causing that for me?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

DC Noise. You'll need a DC noise filter which can be picked up at any car toys store.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

is it easy to install? how do you install it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Depends on how handy you are. I have never had to install one myself. I will ask my friend though.