Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:32 am 

it may well do if its embedded art your trying to sort out, it wont have any bearing on any art that is in a folder though, run the program on just a couple of files you have but leave the option on tagging in the prefrances unticked and see how it goes, let us know how you get on. ive not personally embedded art for a long while but it would be nice to see if this proggie can fix it
roy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

roylovelock wrote:
it may well do if its embedded art your trying to sort out, it wont have any bearing on any art that is in a folder though, run the program on just a couple of files you have but leave the option on tagging in the prefrances unticked and see how it goes, let us know how you get on. ive not personally embedded art for a long while but it would be nice to see if this proggie can fix it
roy

My art is embedded (those which are not showing) and after running a folder of tracks (about 200 or so songs) with the program you suggested they still do not appear on the 5 after syncing and clearing the cache. Nice try anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:35 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks Roy, will try the program, it seems like what we've looking for. Will post results later. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:37 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Roy,

I have already run a variety of MP3 "fixer" apps against my library and have found no correlation between the odd file that has minor issues (but still plays correctly) and tracks that don't appear in my ARCLib. I can't remember which ones I have tried off the top of the head, but there were about 3 or 4 different apps...

Either way, there is something far too "sensitive" about the Archos' media library software routines, as I have never had so many issues with an MP3 player missing files out.

If the MP3 file format is prone to introducing minor errors in headers etc, this surely is catered for by 99% of other manufacturers! Why is the Archos so picky? I should not have to run multiple apps to scan, clean, re-tag, re-encode a library that works 100% in WMP, MediaMonkey, my Creative MP3 players etc etc...

Hugely frustrated...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:12 am 
Archos User
Archos User

OK, just finished fixing all my mp3s, it actually picked up on the ones that weren't showing up! Now it's syncing, I will post again to report on the results.

Last edited by WarofArt on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

First, thanks for all the hard work Roy, WE APPRECIATE IT!!! =D>

Does this program work for wma files as well, or only mp3?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If the files are corrupted no telling what might happen. I not sure what version of MP3 tags Archos supports but might try removing the older types or keep the older types and remove the new versions. Having both might be an opening to problems.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:54 am 

hi thanks
as for wma i dont use that horrible codec so am not sure on that.
it took me about 3 hrs to check 40gb of audiobooks and christ they were in a mess, they would cause my player to crash all over the place, most of them were badly synced.
the arclib is too sensitve imho, i still have the player re boot for no reason when im in shuffle mode and screen is locked - i press the power button and hit ok and thats it - reboot time but this dosnet occur when im just playing albums normally, also the stutter appears to be back occasionally when in shuffle mode - can any one else comferm this?. i think this is also a arc lib problem.
But not is all lost, the 04 range had horrible crashes when bookmarks were used, archos eventually fixed this so i would imagine this will eventually be fixed. in the mean time ALL my MP3 files are now in my arclib, it took a couple of manual arc lib updates and now they are all there and searchable. hopefully this will be a good temp fix until the firmware is updated.
roy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:56 am 
Archos User
Archos User

EDIT 2: I re-downloaded the album again and LO AND BEHOLD!! IT WORKS, I can see all my music like Archos intended.

Artwork shows in all songs.

I did notice it gave me a weird corrupted file error when I tried to shuffle.

Last edited by WarofArt on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

kramer28 wrote:
roylovelock wrote:
nope i use no sync or management programs just drag and drop for me, i like things simple, i assume as mp3 is a lossy codec the errors occur every time you copy them and this is where the arch lib falls foul. this program just re writes the file headers as so many have garbage or trunacations on the files. i still have to run the audiobooks though the program - but thats 40gb so i will do that at a later stage - i know many many of them will be problematic.
roy

I have a problem with my 5 picking up album art - would running this software help, you think Roy?

You might have done this, but have you updated the arc lib?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:45 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

WarofArt wrote:
kramer28 wrote:
roylovelock wrote:
nope i use no sync or management programs just drag and drop for me, i like things simple, i assume as mp3 is a lossy codec the errors occur every time you copy them and this is where the arch lib falls foul. this program just re writes the file headers as so many have garbage or trunacations on the files. i still have to run the audiobooks though the program - but thats 40gb so i will do that at a later stage - i know many many of them will be problematic.
roy

I have a problem with my 5 picking up album art - would running this software help, you think Roy?

You might have done this, but have you updated the arc lib?

Yes, I have ran a manual arc library update.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm giving it it a run right now, to see if I can pick up my missing 600 files.

Edit: Ran the program, which says it rebuilt quite a few of my MP3 files. I deleted the cache on the Archos and it rebuilt the archlib. I gained about 15 tracks, still missing around 600.

Last edited by kawiultraman on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:24 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Ran the program to "fix" my 3,600 MP3s and cleared the cache three times. I only gained about five songs. A thousand songs still don't show. As noted by someone else here, "info" doesn't show any id3 details, but when playing the song, Archos shows the tags.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have this problem too. On the mp3 where the tag doesn't seem to show up on the Archos 5 (thus keeping it from being added to the library), it shows up jsut fine on my Archos TV. I'm thinking there is something picky about the Archos 5. I have also tried a bunch of mp3 and tag fixing programs to no avail. If I redump the CD with WMP it is recognized and added to the library.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Roy,

I just tested your MP3val program. It gave me a fixed state for many (~50%) of the 1762 MP3s on the device. I disconnected properly, crossed my fingers and ran arclib - almost no change. A few of my missing music files appeared but the majority remain MIA. They appear on the hard drive listing, but the info option on the menu shows no MP3 tag information. When I browse the device in wmp or file explorer all of the tag info is present; on the Archos info option nothing shows.

Do you have any other suggestions? I am starting to get a little frustrated, I bought the device to play my music files as my CD collection is unmanageable in my shelf unit. I never know if I will have the music I want without checking each song. :(

John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:26 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I think Archos may have fixed or are on their way to fixing the ArcLib problem. Since the last update (1.5.08) I've been updating solely by the Auto ArcLib update and it's been working fine (so far).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have a theory, the mp3s that are being affected, the ones that apparently can't be fixed by any means may have some sort of error. I had this very stubborn album, and even after all my files were showing in the artist view, this one album would still only show one song, I decided to re-rip it from my CD and voila! It's fine now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:59 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

WarofArt wrote:
I have a theory, the mp3s that are being affected, the ones that apparently can't be fixed by any means may have some sort of error. I had this very stubborn album, and even after all my files were showing in the artist view, this one album would still only show one song, I decided to re-rip it from my CD and voila! It's fine now.

This may indeed help in a lot of cases. However I have one album that I have ripped on different PCs / applications, retagged etc etc and it still won't appear!
I suppose that there could be something wrong with the CD, but the tracks rip fine and are indexed and play fine through all my PC media apps and also on my Creative Zen Vision:M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:56 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I guess we can say that the Archos is the finicky one. Hopefully an update will come out that resolves this issue once and for all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, today i ripped some CDs and only one Song of each album shows up. I scanned all of them with the programme you provided but no errors were found...
These are the first mp3s not showing up :(

I deleted all Tag informations with a programme (deletes certain frames in front of the Song) and retagged them but the same probleme...

Update: Reencoding them with Lame solved the problem. All Songs now showing up correctly. :D