Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Archos announced and demonstrated together with Alcatel Lucent and ICO, one of the worlds first solutions for the DVB-SH reception. It'll be available as a Dock and a software plugin within the next few months, in those regions that are going to launch the DVB-SH mobile TV broadcasting standard.

The DVB-SH standard mixes HSDPA-like cell phone towers that transmit the DVB-H mobile TV signal in densely populated areas, while EUTELSAT and SES Astra are launching a new satellite that will cover most of Europe with a mobile TV signal in less populated areas. You can watch a video Interview I did with an Alcatel-Lucent representative about the DVB-SH technology at http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/alcatel-lucent-dvb-sh/

As we are still waiting for the following promised features in firmware upgrades:

- HD 720p video codecs support through the HD plugin

- HSDPA USB dongle support on USB host of Battery, Mini Dock or DVR Station

- DVB-T Tuner Dock

- FM Remote Control

- Full in-car GPS Dock support

- USB1 and USB2 keyboard and mouse support with USB hub

So you can hopefully look forward to all these awesome promised features being added in the coming weeks and months to the current Archos 5 and Archos 7 series.

Sources: http://techradar.com/news/internet/arch ... -tv-513262

http://archoslounge.net/Archos-une-nouv ... ,8710.html (french)

I posted this story at http://archosfans.com/2009/01/23/dvb-sh ... -released/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:46 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

1. Will this new dock work with the Archos 5?
2. Will DVB-SH be available in Ireland and the UK?

Great news about the promised features possibly being added in the coming weeks and months. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Interesting quote on the techradar story:

"Via an accessory and a software plug in (purchased separately), the latest range, which includes the Archos 5, 7 and new Archos 10 Mini-laptop, will be compatible with the service."

I have highlighted the interesting bit... So you buy the snap-on and then buy a plug-in to get it to actually work for more money? Hmmm...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup it will work with the Archos 5 and Archos 7 according to the press release.

I think it might still be under considerations by the different European governments. But as far as I know, it's pretty much confirmed that all of the European countries will support DVB-H, and when they launch DVB-H, it basically does mean that they are being DVB-SH compatible as well. Since DVB-SH covers the whole of Europe with one satellite.

You will only be able to receive the channels from the satellite if you have a direct line of sight to the satellite. That's why they will use DVB-H signals for when you are inside of lage buildings for example when you are in densely populated city centers.

I believe that the DVB-SH standard can cover hundreds of channels at 256kbit/s each.

I prefer HSDPA, WiFi, Mobile WiMax, 700mhz Internet on White Spaces and all that. But also having some mobile TV channels, why not. DVB-SH is meant to be more reliable for mobile use than the DVB-T standard. Although the DVB-T signals are of higher quality at full DVD resolution Mpeg2 or Mpeg4, it's also even in HD resolution. Archos does master the mobile DVB-T reception better than anyone else. So the release of the DVB-T Dock is going to be very cool as well.

The DVB-SH reception antenna is going to be much smaller than the DVB-T Snap-On Dock obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have no interest in this functionality, but the press release was interesting to me nonetheless. This seems to indicate that the Archos 5 will be receiving updates and new features to the end of 2009 at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Archos does master the mobile DVB-T reception better than anyone else.

You lost me on this one. How exactly does Archos master DVB-T reception? I didn't realize they had any DVB-T products released.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kawiultraman wrote:
Charbax wrote:

You lost me on this one. How exactly does Archos master DVB-T reception? I didn't realize they had any DVB-T products released.

Archos has released PMPs with portable DVB-T technology since 2006. Archos masters it in a way you will find in no other portable DVB-T products. Archos uses a dual-tuner optimization technology which makes it work while moving around and inside the car as well. DVB-T wasn't designed to be used for portable devices. The single antenna DVB-T USB tuners for laptops and other portable single tuner DVB-T players have got nothing to do with the way Archos does it. You are much more likely to have a good signal on the Archos while moving around then with any other mobile DVB-T devices out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
kawiultraman wrote:
Charbax wrote:

Archos has released PMPs with portable DVB-T technology since 2006. Archos masters it in a way you will find in no other portable DVB-T products. Archos uses a dual-tuner optimization technology which makes it work while moving around and inside the car as well.

This one?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/01/arch ... or-france/

Last edited by kawiultraman on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kawiultraman wrote:
Charbax wrote:
Archos has released PMPs with portable DVB-T technology since 2006. Archos masters it in a way you will find in no other portable DVB-T products. Archos uses a dual-tuner optimization technology which makes it work while moving around and inside the car as well.

Can you provide a link to one of these? I've never seen one and I've been hanging around here since '06.

http://archosfans.com/2007/05/31/archos ... -released/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ah, was this ever released outside of France?

This article seems to imply it was for France only.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/01/arch ... or-france/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sold all over Europe I think. Pre-installed as well for the backseat in certain cars as an optional accessory.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Certainly not in the USA. I wish Archos would provide something in the way of TV for USA customers. The ability for Hulu to work (Flash) would be the next best thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:05 am 

yep it was released here as the av700tv, i didnt know it was dvb-t though i thought it was analogue, there you go you learn something new everyday!!!
Now archos HURRY UP and release this fantastic add on, i will be the first in the que, this sounds like a much much better option than the dvb-t dock that has fallen back on the release date, i just hope they are not that expensive. and again HURRY PLEASE - and dont let this one vanish as well!!!!

so charbax - what i understand is it will use a mixture of sat and hspda to recieve signals, i take it this is gona be a free broadcast with no dataplan etc??, its getting so confusing now i now struggle to keep up with all the new technologys lol.
good news though, this should help sell some more players, three standards in one little tiny player, dvb-sh, dvb-s and dvb-h, at least one of those should work for our friends accross the pond,
roy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I did a video with the DVB-T people you can check it out: http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/alcatel-lucent-dvb-sh/

There is going to be a satellite covering Europe with 90 or so DVB-SH TV channels and another one has been sent up already to cover the USA: http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/15/ico- ... o-america/

Trials in USA are going on with Dish Networks, a partner of Archos and trials in Europe are underway among others by SFR in France which is also an Archos partner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:47 am 

well when and if they do finally release this excellent addon i think archos will see the brand take off, i know loads of people that love the 5 but atm its just not enough to switch them from the ipod, this may just tip the balance..... i hope so...
roy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Is this a service to subscribe to is or is it free to view?