Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Telephonie/ ... ONE-F3.htm

I think this is pretty awesome.

This is the kind of plan I would suggest SFR to do with the Archos 5G, they should bundle the Archos 5G for below 199Ôé¼ with or without the DVR Station with a cheap phone such as the cool Motorola F3 (that has the first mass produced mobile phone E-Ink screen). And provide a 2 hour monthly plan of below 29Ôé¼ and try to bundle unlimited music service with that as well. Also provide cheap USB dongle add-on plan as well for something like 5Ôé¼ extra.

I posted about this at http://archosfans.com/2008/11/19/archos ... in-france/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 am 

WOW thats perfect for what i would want it for!!.
I would defo get another contract if they were offering that here in the uk, hopefully someone is listening at tmobile, o2, virgin, etc. come on guys get a deal done!!
roy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:36 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm assuming this is just like those deals in the UK where you get a mobile phone on an 18month contract and get a "free" PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, iPod Touch or whatever?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:31 pm 

who wants a ipod or xbox not me, those deals do exist but imho its never worth the bother - im not into gaming and would never touch another ipod. there are some good deals to be had with free laptops atm, i would go for one of those but really would like the archos 5g insted as you can pick up laptops now for peanuts.
roy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yeah, but what I mean is - its one of those sorts of deals - sign up for X months, get this thing for "free" - isnt it?

Whilst its a good thing that Archos is being used in such a promotion, its nothing new - whilst YOU might not want an Xbox, or the other things other places offer, clearly many do, or they'd stop doing those offers. Ultimately these offers are pretty good for the manufacturers (in this case Archos) as it puts their product in the hands of people who might not have afforded one, or wanted one at a more expensive price.

I was just asking tho - is it one of those sorts of deals?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

thedo666 wrote:
I was just asking tho - is it one of those sorts of deals?

Yes.

That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, of course, either for Archos or for customers. But I am always a bit wary of deals of this sort -- they don't always save money for the consumer. In the UK, getting a mobile phone on monthly contract terms works out a lot more expensive for many people than pay-as-you-talk. Particularly when service operators are not always as up-front as they might be about what is covered in the contract price. Caveat emptor and all that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:41 pm 

yes again and no to a certain degree. when you get the package you are actually subbing to 2 phone lines - one for the archos player and one for the phone itself (so its actually for the phone lines equipment). it would be a royal pain to have to swap out sims every time you wanted to make a call then surf the net. be aware though under these deals one sim is for calls only any data will sting you, then the other is for data only any calls made on that sim will be at the networks standard rate (this is for the uk, im unsure how it will work in other countys).
roy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I wasn't aware that the deal Charbax reported included data calls at all, and (I presume) any data calls would be charged extra.

If I'm right, then the 30 Euros a month is for voice calls plus a cheap phone plus an Archos 5 60Gb. That's 360 Euros per year, no? Since a 5/60Gb sells for about 400 Euros, then it certainly looks like a good deal, if you never use the phone :/ Since the minimum monthly tarif appears to cover quite minimal voice call usage, I think you could easily end up spending a lot more money than you would if you paid per minute.

I'm sure that there are savings to be made by careful consumers with deals like this -- but they are trap for non-careful consumers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It does include something like 2 hours of voice calls per month I think. 1 hour to use between 8AM and 20PM and 1 hour to use at night, or something like that. The cool Motorola F3 that they include costs something like 30Ôé¼ unlocked on Amazon.com

It's just showing that the Archos with a separate low price mobile phone is the best combination. This is the kind of pricing and deal that is going to make Archos a mass market product. Nokia sells 99% of their smartphones through such carrier deals.