Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I posted some highlights at http://archosfans.com/2008/11/19/archos ... loungenet/

The review is posted in french at http://archoslounge.net/Test-de-l-Archo ... ,8547.html

The Archos 5G is being released today in France for 249Ôé¼ with a 19Ôé¼ monthly HSDPA subscription with SFR.. I expect that we will also soon hear more information about pricing and availability in other countries..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is it me or did they release this one with a mat finish ? Looks much better this way :)

Does any one know when is it going to be released over the rest of the world ? also I've seen it on the UK amazon site, is it already shipping in the UK ?
I know it was asked before but I'm seriously loosing my mind over this thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AmirP wrote:
Is it me or did they release this one with a mat finish ? Looks much better this way :)

Does any one know when is it going to be released over the rest of the world ? also I've seen it on the UK amazon site, is it already shipping in the UK ?
I know it was asked before but I'm seriously loosing my mind over this thing.

Yeah, they used a matte finish and a matte screen. Why can't we have that?? (I still like the glossy screen though). It looks so much better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Chengbin,

What do you mean "why can't we have that"?? If you want it, you can buy the 5G when it is released in the US.

(60gb is plenty of memory. People just have to learn to clean up their drives every once in a while. Why leave movies on the player that you already watched?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

1. He is talking about the paint job

2. The 5G don't have 60GB it is only 30GB Flash

3. 60GB isn't plenty. Some people don't like having to delete stuff and put on what they think they might want to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think 60gb is just enough for a PMP. too bad ill have to buy the 5g :| theres just no way around it

btw do you guys think this matte finish is going the default for the 5g or is it only for SFR ?
also, if its a flash based player, then it would be a lot lighter and more durable, shouldn't it ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If that was true the 250GB model wouldn't be selling so well.

The Archos website still has the 5g as the same color as the other models so who knows

One quick thought though. It could be made out of plastic instead of metal. That is what they said about the Iphone 3g. Apple replaced the metal back with a plastic one so as to not interfere with the antenna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hopefully the next version of the Archos 5 will be plastic case after hearing about so many complaints about the metal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

30GB is not enough (for me). I will be upgrading the sound of many of my .ogg tracks and this will probably push me above the 100GB mark. I have other CDs to transfer as well. As Archos now advertises: "Entertainment your way"!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not flash storage it's most probably a 1.8" hard drive that is the same size as the 60GB had drive in the Archos 5 60GB model. Why Archos hasn't announced larger capacity Archos 5G yet I dunno. It could be to limit pricing for SFR for the first model or something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Makes sense. The iPod phone in the USA did not have much space for music files (since increased) but it kept the initial price lower so many people bought the unit. Later, improvements were introduced as the product matured.

It may turn out that the real "iPod killer" will be the iPhone itself! (though I think the Archos 5 should have that distinction)