Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:52 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I went for the TSV.
Looks like a good deal espacially as I will be using it for long stays in hospital. Anyway as I wont have an active Wifi connecting on the ward can I connect it to my phone to collect email via bluetooth or other means?
Also what are the games cards they were talking about? Anyone have a link to the games?
And finally, the cinema package, what does that do? I want to convery my exsisting DVD's to the Archos to take with me to hospital. Is it something to do with that?

Thanks
Simon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi. Hospital? nothing serious I hope

Games http://www.archos.com/store/plugsearch. ... &games=yes

Cinema Plugin http://www.archos.com/store/plugsearch. ... od=archos5

All the above info can be found on Archos web site hope this helps somewhat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

LOL, Yes cancer malignant Non hodgking Low Grade B Cell and cancer of the bones too so am spending more than my fair share of time there while on R-CVP Chemo.

Thanks for the help much appreciated mezzyjones

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:33 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So Sorry to hear that - The very best of luck with everything

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey cheers for that, much obliged to you. And thanks again for the help with the link. I guess I need the cinema plug in then to be able to transfer from dvd to Archos, I think I have that bit right. I am very new to all this and hope it will help me while away the hours.
Looks like a good deal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:48 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

simonfoy wrote:
Anyway as I wont have an active Wifi connecting on the ward can I connect it to my phone to collect email via bluetooth or other means?

Not currently.

Bluetooth is not an option but there is a possibility that connecting the phone via USB may work once they sort out USB modem access in the firmware.

A long way from a confirmed solution, but the only route that may work for you eventually.

A route that is confirmed is adding a 3g USB modem via one of the docks. Not available yet though.

Hope all goes well for you, but will you be able to use a phone in there anyway as most hospitals do not allow them inside the building at all?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

[quote]

simonfoy wrote:
Anyway as I wont have an active Wifi connecting on the ward can I connect it to my phone to collect email via bluetooth or other means?

Not currently.

Bluetooth is not an option but there is a possibility that connecting the phone via USB may work once they sort out USB modem access in the firmware.

A long way from a confirmed solution, but the only route that may work for you eventually.{/quote]

Actually, when I looked on google shopping, there was a kind of plug in bluetooth compatible with all pmps. I'll try and find it again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There are a number of bluetooth dongles around that provide audio connection via the headphone socket for bluetooth headsets, I've yet to see one that could be used for data connections via USB that did not require drivers but if you find one and it works with the Archos firmware once it supports external modems then that would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have a USB bluetooth dongle. It requires drivers installed from cd.
So this wont work for the 5.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have been using a video converter on the PC, it is called Prism Video Converter. It has took some playing around with, but saving as .wmv files takes about half the time, ie 60 minute video converts in 30 minutes. The download is free, but after a week you have to pay, I'm coming to the end of my week so will be looking at the cost implications. Once converted thay can be copied to the Archos. For some reason, I can't get it to play converted .avi files.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the replies all. I have a cable from USB to my Nokia so will give that a go when I am able to do it.

One thing I am still having problems is, is the cinema plug in. Do I need this to convert my collection to play on the Archos? Is it that simple that I install this on the Archos and then I can convert my collection?
Sorry I really dont understand how I do it and get my collection on. They are all in AVI format on my pc currently.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

simonfoy wrote:
Thanks for the replies all. I have a cable from USB to my Nokia so will give that a go when I am able to do it.

One thing I am still having problems is, is the cinema plug in. Do I need this to convert my collection to play on the Archos? Is it that simple that I install this on the Archos and then I can convert my collection?
Sorry I really dont understand how I do it and get my collection on. They are all in AVI format on my pc currently.

Thanks again

The cinema plugin is for people who want to copy the files from the DVD straight to Archos without conversion. Since you have them in AVI already, you don't need the cinema plugin. You might need the H.264 plugin if it is encoded in H.264 though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can you please tell me how I find out if its encoded in that way please?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:02 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

simonfoy wrote:
Can you please tell me how I find out if its encoded in that way please?

download something called mediainfo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Cheers thanks for that much obliged

Post subject: Onomatopoeia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This isn't really about the qvc bundle any more is it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No it isnt, and I have tried to change the subject to
"A few ?'s about the QVC bundle but it may also go onto other things about the Archos 5" but it wouldnt let me. Sorry

I would have thought adding another question would have been pointless as they have been answered here.

Oh Dear ! I wish it was all I had to fret about