Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello fellow Archos 5 IMT owners,

My question here revolves around the manual removal of files from the Archos. Yesterday, I successfully began adding several of my old vinyl albums through the PVR dock to my archos. But, in the process, I made a few mistakes, which have left me with a number of incomplete or incorrect rips in my recorded music file. I have been unsuccessful in removing those files from my Archos, and I'm wondering how I am supposed to do that?

I've gone into my 'data' area of settings and pulled up the files there. There is no option to delete the files that I created by ripping the vinyl. I've also tried to find a 'delete' function when I go to 'play', 'music', 'rec'. There is no option there. I've also scoured the English User Manual Version 2.0 and the Archos DVR Station user manual. No help there in removing files? Do I need to do this through Windows Media Player, which is how I synch with my library now? I'm running XP on my laptop, and have configured the Archos to synch with WMP.

Further, I can't seem to figure out how to 'move' said files into a folder of my choice...for example, I was downloading a full vinyl album, and at each new song, I pushed the button on the audio recorder that saves the file and immediately begins recording the next file under the same name. This is great, since it numbers each track 1-? in this way, and breaks up the recording into the different tracks. But...and there is always a but it seems, it won't let me rename the tracks (so I could put the track names in) nor move them into a new folder. Does anyone have any experience with that yet?

Being able to rip music from vinyl, DVD Audio, SACD etc...is a wonderful perk that I didn't expect when I bought this unit and the PVR dock. But if I can't remove the files when I want to, it is somewhat problematic, yes?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Peace.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Tools - Files

Then navigate to the music folder and then (Rec)

You should be able to delete files there, and if you find an appropriate folder on the right pane, then you can move.

Or just use a computer :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi There,

I just attached my Archos 5 to my computer, and instead of synching or opening it with WMP, I opened the files on the Archos as I would with any mass storage device.

Once I did that, I was able to create new folders, and manually delete files. Phewwwwww.

But, it still doesn't answer the question as to why I can't remove them on the Archos directly. I just tried your suggestion (which is what I'd been doing for the past day or so), and the only option it gives me when I get to a track I want to delete, is 'info'. There is no 'move' function (as the Archos manual said there would be), nor is there a 'delete' function, which Archos manual completely overlooked.

Anyone else have any issues with this? I even tried changing the setting on my Archos (settings, storage, to 'pc hard drive) to no avail.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thats odd, definitely has the options on my archos.

Are they DRM / copyprotected files?

Tried repairing the device from the menu?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey Andrew,

Can you tell me where you find the 'delete' and 'move' menu functions? (i.e. Home Page, Play, Music, Albums, select and Album, then the delete/move files are there? Or and I believe it is the following: Home, Settings, Data, Albums...etc...) I want to make sure that I'm looking in the right place.

The files are mostly from CD's which have now been synched to windows media player, and a few downloads, but the ones that I'm most interested in doing the deleting with are from my old vinyl records that I've started ripping through the DVR station. They end up in the (rec) files under 'music'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I just do...

Main Menu
Tools
Files
Music
Rec

Then select the file I want to delete, then click in the top right hand corner, and click:

File management
delete.

Are you not presented with that option?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So I think I figured out what was going on...

I had put the parental control to the 'on' position, since I had downloaded some adult content to my vids ;). Once I put in the code, the options under file management appeared as per your comments above.

So there it is...the parental/adult lockout provided by Archos also limits the file management. Good idea! Too bad it took me all day, and yourself, to help me out of this.

Cheers,

J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:07 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

As you said, makes sense that a child wouldnt be allowed to delete files.

Thanks for telling the solution.

May use the parental control when lending archos to people to use if it prevents deletion, thats a useful feature.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Absolutely agree...then you don't have to worry about what buttons they (friends/family/kids) are pushing. Funny that it wasn't explained in the manual.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:16 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I was having just the same problems, completely stumped at why I couldn't delete files. I was going a bit mad thinking that Archos had somehow managed to forget to put in a delete function.
Glad I know what it is now!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Really glad that my own stumbling helped you. It would be nice if we could add 'album', 'genre', and 'track name' to our recorded audio files, so that they could be placed in the 'play - music' area, as opposed to having to go to either 'music-(rec)' or 'settings-files'. I know that this was discussed in another thread, but I thought I'd bring it up here, since it pertains to what I had been trying to do - organize my audio recordings from vinyl/DVD Audio/other etc...
Cheers,
J