Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Review on Wired.com
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The review is here: http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/09/r ... hos-i.html

Here is the comment that I posted regarding the minuses that the Wired journalist wrote in this review:

I go through each of the minuses, which I think are not well founded:
Quote:
Linux-based custom OS too glitchy for comfort

the firmware is currently in beta "pre-release" version, within weeks such bugs as:
Quote:
the player dropped the Wi-Fi connection and didnÔÇÖt allow us to change the connection

This is a well known bug of the beta firmware and should be fixed in a firmware update coming up soon.
Quote:
Doesn't include a built-in mic, so you canÔÇÖt use it as a VOIP phone.

It comes with a microphone on the optional $29 FM Remote Control accessory, which could in theory be used for VOIP such as Skype and SIP, but only if Archos and carriers decide to add VOIP applications to the device.
Quote:
Brassy-metal design might prove too ostentatious for geeky tastes.

The basic definition of being a geek is to have gadgets that impresses others. For example 99% of the use people have of an iPhone is to brag about it and show it to others. I don't understand why the Wired journalist would say that its cool design should be a weakness.
Quote:
Need separate dongle for 3G and HSDPA connections. They couldnÔÇÖt embed 3G in the player? CÔÇÖmon Archos, stop pulling our wallet and just add these features to all versions. Please?

Archos is releasing the Archos 5G model which integrates HSDPA into the device. Thing about the HSDPA device is that not everyone wants it, and integrating HSDPA costs slightly more, so why should everyone pay for it if not everyone wants to use it? In some countries for example, you can't even get HSDPA service on "unlocked" HSDPA devices, carriers want total control on which devices are used on their network. So rather then to have to make deals with all the carriers in every country, Archos can release a reseller-friendly non-HSDPA model that can use the broadly available USB HSDPA Dongle.
Though in reality I do agree, it could have been cool and easier to deal with if simply all the Archos 5 models has built-in HSDPA, eventually I also think that they will. So even if not everyone will use it, eventually building in HSDPA will not cost too much more.
Especially I would like to see the HSDPA model with 250GB even 500GB capacities. All this should come though in the next few months (unless somehow higher capacity Archos 5 doesn't work with built-in HSDPA for now for some engineering reason).

Post subject: Re: Review on Wired.com
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:16 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

For the most part I agree with the review. Even though most of the problems mentioned was because of the firmware, that is what happens when you release a product too soon. Reviewers has to review what people are paying for the second they open the box and all the glitches and crashes is what they get they cant just spread promises and rate it on what it will have or what will be fixed in the future. I have had my 5 for 2 days and I love it but if I had never bought an Archos before and had to deal with alot of the problems that are on the player now, I would have returned it for a refund. Archos does like to nickel and dime you for every little thing when they should just stick to one sku and sell it. At least make the accessories backwards compatible

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Crlrhxphn wrote:
At least make the accessories backwards compatible

Why do you need to have the accessories be backward compatible since you didn't buy a previous Archos model before? Also, perhaps they couldn't provide stuff like HDMI output if they used the same connector as the previous generation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:36 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
I go through each of the minuses, which I think are not well founded:
Quote:
Linux-based custom OS too glitchy for comfort

the firmware is currently in beta "pre-release" version, within weeks such bugs as:
Quote:
the player dropped the Wi-Fi connection and didnÔÇÖt allow us to change the connection

This is a well known bug of the beta firmware and should be fixed in a firmware update coming up soon.

Not wanting to say I told you so, but this is exactly why I have been saying they should not have released a beta firmware... Do you think this bloke or anyone reading his review are going to care that the firmware is beta, or that Archos will probaby have the bugs ironed out this side of Christmas? Anyone reading this review looking for a PMP or an internet tablet is going to see buggy OS and a WiFi connection that cannot maintain connection, and probably look elsewhere for a device. And who can blame them? Would you buy a device if you read it had flaws like that? Im pretty sure I wouldnt.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:21 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
You can watch 720p HD video clearly and it plays over ten types of movie files. When we scoped out A Scanner Darkly, the hallucinogenic color animation flowed vividly, like a paint truck crashing head on into an acid trip. Even blacks were sufficiently deep; shocking for a small screen on a portable device. But besides the screen, the broad range of extra features really is the playerÔÇÖs greatest strength.

Interesting he should mention being able to watch 720p HD videos. Does this mean he would have been given a copy of the HD plugin? Maybe its not that far from release then.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Quote:
Brassy-metal design might prove too ostentatious for geeky tastes.

The basic definition of being a geek is to have gadgets that impresses others. For example 99% of the use people have of an iPhone is to brag about it and show it to others. I don't understand why the Wired journalist would say that its cool design should be a weakness.

Whaaa??? True geeks put function over form. Sheep and posers buy iphones. A true geek would buy one of the many HTC-built phones that runs circles around the iPhone, as far as functionality goes.

That's why I own an Archos. I am a geek.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Crlrhxphn wrote:
At least make the accessories backwards compatible

Why do you need to have the accessories be backward compatible since you didn't buy a previous Archos model before? Also, perhaps they couldn't provide stuff like HDMI output if they used the same connector as the previous generation.

This is my 4th Archos player so anything I bought before is useless now. I seriously doubt they could put HDMI with the old connectors Because the 605 was supposed to be able to display HD sound and audio with the HD plugin they promised with the release of the 605. Even though they never got it to work the connections was built for it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The 605 couldn't play HD videos not because the connectors couldn't, it's because the hardware is too slow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

To Charbax (or anyone else who has an Archos 5):

Does the unit get uncomfortably hot when playing videos as some of the reviewers point out?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Chengbin wrote:
The 605 couldn't play HD videos not because the connectors couldn't, it's because the hardware is too slow.

Exactly, you don't need HDMI for HD anyway, the component output on the Gen5 DVR could have been used for HD if the 605 had been up to the task.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

MarkT wrote:
Chengbin wrote:

Exactly, you don't need HDMI for HD anyway, the component output on the Gen5 DVR could have been used for HD if the 605 had been up to the task.
No but it's a useful connector for current high end HD TVs, which usually have 3 or 4x HDMI input connectors. I got on broadband TV box, one DVD player, my DVR Station and the Xbox 360 and they all sport HDMI output.

Otherwise, while it doesn't go into much technical details, the review is OK.

The UI isn't all that bad in my opinion, for sure it's not as mature/slick as the iPhone/iTouch one, but not being able to save the context of Opera even time you leave it (e.g. say just to select another song) is really an UI nightmare.