Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So, I am trying to make a decision between the 605wifi and the 5. The 605wifi is cheaper than the 5 obviously, but what I wanted to find out is, are there features that the 5 has that make it that much better to purchase?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

- Bigger better screen
- Faster better processor (with up to 1280x720 HD video resolution support and HDMI output)
- More storage (up to 250GB now, up to 500GB later)
- Better connectivity (HSDPA built-in or using Dongle)
- Better design
- Better accessories (DVB-T tuner, FM remote control, USB Keyboard/Mouse, HDMI output...)
- Web-browser and WebTV and WebRadio plugins now included for free ($50/50Ôé¼ value)

Current advantages of 605 WiFi:
- You can get the 605 WiFi 4GB starting at around $150/150Ôé¼ and the 30GB at $200/200Ôé¼ which is really cheap and good value
- The 605 WiFi is about 60-40gr lighter in weight (consider the new one has a 25% larger screen, double the storage and a heavier more metallic case design)
- You might also find cheaper accessories for the 605 WiFi such as around $50 for the DVR Station, those prices will take another couple months for the new model

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

HDMI output is only available with the DVR Station though. And the new DVR Station DOES NOT, have pass thru capabilities. Thats a step backward from the 605 line.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rokero wrote:
HDMI output is only available with the DVR Station though. And the new DVR Station DOES NOT, have pass thru capabilities. Thats a step backward from the 605 line.

What do you mean no pass thru? Can't you pass thru using any of Component, S-video or Composite? If you need more HDMI intputs on your HDTV (for example if you already have HD cable box and a PS3), you can buy a HDMI multiplier adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the 5 already comes with the web browser and is webradio and webtv capable without having to buy the add-ons. Is that right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup, it's in my list..

Charbax wrote:
- Web-browser and WebTV and WebRadio plugins now included for free ($50/50Ôé¼ value)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Oh yeah. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
rokero wrote:

What do you mean no pass thru? Can't you pass thru using any of Component, S-video or Composite? If you need more HDMI intputs on your HDTV (for example if you already have HD cable box and a PS3), you can buy a HDMI multiplier adapter.

That's what a few people in the forums are saying. archos even comfirmed it to some of them. But you can work around it, as you say. But still, not a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rokero wrote:
Charbax wrote:
rokero wrote:

That's what a few people in the forums are saying. archos even comfirmed it to some of them. But you can work around it, as you say. But still, not a good thing.

I dunno what you mean. Are you looking for pass thru using HDMI? I don't know of any device to provide anything like that. HDMI probably doesn't allow any form of HDMI input in devices. It's basically kind of like USB, so you just buy a USB hub if you want to plug more of them to your HDTV, a HDMI hub.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Doesn't mean this gen though, next gen I can see it easily the maximum harddrive space has almost doubled almost every year for the last 4 generations.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ANY FORM OF PASS THRU. Owners are saying in other threads that when the player is NOT in the dock, you get NO output on your TV.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'd argue there are a few other benefits:
- Real keys make it way quicker to start/stop video and music. Also arguably easier to navigate lists etc with the keys. The screen doesn't get fingerprints. I actually only use the buttons.
- Casing doesn't get smudged as easily.
- Less expensive if you just want a media player and nothing else. Especially if you don't need much storage.
- Most likely price will dive as distributors want to get rid of stock.
- Much more field-tested means less bugs (hopefully).
- Key/screen lock via a button.

But I sure want an Archos 5 anyway, but it needs to get FLAC and OGG codecs before I switch. Cowon has had that for ages.

Despite what Archos says about 605 being a media player and 5/7 being internet media tablets, 5/7 are the next generation of media players from Archos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

papasmurph wrote:
I'd argue there are a few other benefits.......

You have those the wrong way around, this thread is benefits the 5 has over the 605

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

papasmurph wrote:
I'd argue there are a few other benefits:
- Real keys make it way quicker to start/stop video and music. Also arguably easier to navigate lists etc with the keys. The screen doesn't get fingerprints. I actually only use the buttons.
- Casing doesn't get smudged as easily.

You can buy external buttons for the Archos 5 for $29 in the form of the very useful FM remote control.

papasmurph wrote:
- Key/screen lock via a button.

Actually the Archos 5 power button will work as a Hold button when in Music mode.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was really looking forward to Archos getting to improvements on the Video Recording front:(

Once again they have ignored the recording resolution (640X480 max) and they continue to use the 2GB file limitation (breaks files at ~2GB). D1 resolution (720X480 NTSC) should be easily achieved and the 2GB limitation is only a FAT32/NTFS holdout. I think they are building the OS with Linux and COULD do better?

I too prefer on-board keys but I do use the touchscreen a little on my 605's. I also believe that this "tablet" will be the next Gen form factor and is indicative of the limits that we can expect:(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
You can buy external buttons for the Archos 5 for $29 in the form of the very useful FM remote control.

Very useful indeed. I have been waiting for the elusive FM remote for my 605 since a year. After reading your comment I have been looking around on the Archos site but couldn't find this item for sale.
Are you really saying that this item is for sale?? Please let me know where. This might be the only good reason for me to buy the 5.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bioman wrote:
Charbax wrote:

Very useful indeed. I have been waiting for the elusive FM remote for my 605 since a year. After reading your comment I have been looking around on the Archos site but couldn't find this item for sale.
Are you really saying that this item is for sale?? Please let me know where. This might be the only good reason for me to buy the 5.

Not for sale yet. But for the first time on the archos.com website: http://archos.com/products/imt/archos_5 ... al&lang=en

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:35 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

beyoungjr wrote:
... and the 2GB limitation is only a FAT32/NTFS holdout. .

AVI ver 1.0 limitation, nothing to do with FAT32.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

MarkT wrote:
beyoungjr wrote:
... and the 2GB limitation is only a FAT32/NTFS holdout. .

AVI ver 1.0 limitation, nothing to do with FAT32.

+1