Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Recently my Archos does not want to connect to any computer. I have tired connecting it while in different modes but no luck. I even restored it to factory from settings and also in the recovery management. I thought maybe the cable was bad, so i tried another one but again no luck. I talked to Archos tech support. They said that to fix it would be $150 and up. Does anyone have any idea how I can get it to work again?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:08 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Firstly, calm down ... no need to get agitated ...

Now, describe the problem in more detail. You've tried multiple USB cables on different ports on your PC, and it all failed, correct? Can you access the hard drive on your Archos (IE can you still access your files from the Archos)? If so, then we can get rid of Hard Drive failure. If not, you're gonna need to get a replacement, and that depends on which version you have (60GB/A5G IMT or 120/250GB). That'll be covered if you confirm it's the drive that's died.

Assuming it hasn't, have you tried changing it from Windows Media Device to PC Hard Drive? Have you tried manually updating ARCLib? Have you tried connecting to a different OS (Linux, for instance)? How about a different computer? Have you tried moving/wiggling the cable itself on the Archos side to make sure the actual USB Port on the Archos isn't faulty? (If it is, I'm sorry bro. Really.)

Reply if you have any more questions. Just remember, any weird noise from your hard drive on the Archos unit (scratching, loud clicking, etc) may mean your HDD will fail soon.

mediate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes, I have tried different cables and different OS's. I have also tired all the different modes to connect my archos to my computer. Before I restored my archos to factory. I was still able to play whatever media I had on it. I have also tried wigging the cable and playing with it. It seems like a firmware issue but I can not confirm. The HDD isn't making any sounds other than normal sounds it should make. The only way i see me being able to get everything going for me, is by taking out the HDD. Connecting it to my computer and transferring the data over.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:51 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

This does indeed sound like a firmware issue, as I had a similar problem (only it was limited to a single computer). If you have the 60GB version, you've got the ZIF drive, so you'd need an enclosure that can support that. The 120/250GB editions have notebook SATA drives so they'll work like any normal SATA drive. Teardown guide here if you need it; I'd format it one more time from recovery and then connect it to the computer directly to copy over the firmware file. I'd also try to install patched firmware after you get it working again. It could be that the partitions themselves didn't get created properly and you have a FAT32 issue, so if you can't restore the firmware as above, connect it directly to the computer, wipe it clean and delete all partitions, and create one large one, format it, then reformat again from the Archos unit. Let me know if this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I followed your instructions. Tho it still does not want to connect to my computer. When I connect the Archos to the computer the popup that asks if you want to connect by usb or only charge. Flashes on the screen and then goes away. I've tried to see if I can catch it, even if I do. It still doesn't want to connect. Also the options in the upper right hand corner doesn't want to respond anymore. I used the latest firmware on my archos. Do you recommend me trying an older one? If not, is there anything else you think I can do?

By the way. Thank you for your help. Even if none of this work. I'm at least happy that I'm trying different things to get this going also that I was able to find help. Again thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:16 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Paulv13 wrote:
I followed your instructions. Tho it still does not want to connect to my computer. When I connect the Archos to the computer the popup that asks if you want to connect by usb or only charge. Flashes on the screen and then goes away.

That right there is a telltale sign that the USB port (not cable) is screwy. This could be either on the computer's side or the Archos' side. You need to move the cable up/down to see when you get a proper contact and try to see if you can connect to it like that. If you can connect and see the partition on the computer, then your port may be broken (and to fix it can and will take some time). If this doesn't work, it may also be possible that the USB port has some loose/dislodged/broken pins that deliver data. If you can still charge with the cable, just not transfer data, then this may also be the case. Either way, you're gonna need some solder and a soldering iron and to dig in to it.

Paulv13 wrote:
I've tried to see if I can catch it, even if I do. It still doesn't want to connect. Also the options in the upper right hand corner doesn't want to respond anymore. I used the latest firmware on my archos. Do you recommend me trying an older one? If not, is there anything else you think I can do?

By the way. Thank you for your help. Even if none of this work. I'm at least happy that I'm trying different things to get this going also that I was able to find help. Again thank you for your help.

If you're on the official firmware, you can't really try an older firmware without patching the device first, and for that, you need linux and (you guessed it) access to the drive. If you open the device up and connect it directly to a linux box and follow this guide you should be able to downgrade it and patch it (remembering to connect it back to the device every time you're done on the PC). If you follow that guide, it's easier (IMO) if you leave the device opened and unscrewed while you use the touchscreen as you may need to connect it back and, if the port don't work, is easier than having to tear it down every time you need computer access. Anyway, once it's patched, you can go directly and install patched firmware from here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the same problem, at no point does it ask me to connect to a PC via any of the recovery options so I have no way to install any firmware :( How did you fix yours in the end? And I'd be grateful if anyone had any suggestions for me!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
crimsonnight wrote:
I have the same problem, at no point does it ask me to connect to a PC via any of the recovery options so I have no way to install any firmware :( How did you fix yours in the end? And I'd be grateful if anyone had any suggestions for me!

You have tried another sync cable, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yep