Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, I upgraded to 160GB.. that worked out ok, but I'm unable to access

my original 40GB drive, its not locked I can access it from my p.c. but It

does'nt work with the archos. I upgraded to 1.4.03 before I swapped

and I upgraded to 1.5.55 on the new drive that worked out, but I don't

know what went wrong with the original drive. Oh well, I'll just use the

original drive as extra storage for my laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Weird. Can you look at the new 160GB drive using your PC?

It still seems like the newer firmware may be expecting a locked drive, and if it doesn't see it it won't boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yeah that is weird, my 160GB drive can be read on my pc. I was able

to add all the files from the original drive on the new drive, I can delete

files using my pc, that's not a problem at all. But I don't think I'll be

upgrading to a newer firmware, the drive will probably lock up on me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had a 504 from target that had (I think) 1.2.xx firmware on it. I just upgraded the hard drive to a 160GB samsung and also upgraded to 1.4.03 firmware when it asked for the firmware file.

However, now I find that I can't play MP4 files that I could before? Did they actually remove functionality as they "upgraded" the firmware? I thought by staying < 1.5 I could retain hard drive flexibility although I was giving up the ability to use the plug-ins to get h.264 capability.

Where can I find a 1.2.x firmware and will I be able to downgrade?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php ... v_code=125

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

liverpool_one wrote:
http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=26&v_code=125

Thanks. Can anybody confirm that they removed .mp4 playback between 1.2.xx and 1.4.03?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

collin wrote:
liverpool_one wrote:
http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=26&v_code=125

Thanks. Can anybody confirm that they removed .mp4 playback between 1.2.xx and 1.4.03?

I can't confirm it, but I know they charge for the H.264 / aac plug-in for the series for players. Here's the link.

www.archos.com/products/plugins/plugins_g4.html?country=global&lang=en

Since it doesn't play it and they have a page where they are charging for the plug-in, I would say yes the eliminated it (and are now charging for it).

Post subject: Firmware any one??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello all... i have been reading this thread with great interest and would like to try the hdd upgrade trick on my new archos 504. The only thing is... archos does not have available its firmware version 1.4.03 anymore.

Could anyone please send me a copy of the file?

kind regards,
Erkan

Post subject: Re: Firmware any one??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dutcherkan wrote:
Hello all... i have been reading this thread with great interest and would like to try the hdd upgrade trick on my new archos 504. The only thing is... archos does not have available its firmware version 1.4.03 anymore.

Could anyone please send me a copy of the file?

kind regards,
Erkan

just a few replay before you there was this address...
http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php ... v_code=125

//SB

Post subject: firmware
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks,... got it..!

I'm planning to upgrade a 40Gb 504 with a 250Gb WD HDD.
Should work because there's some dude in Hongkong selling one...

Will post on results....

kind regards,
Erkan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Has anyone ever tried upgrading to a 250Gb version?
In the description of the version on the archos-site it says:
Version 1.1.06
-----------------

Improvements:
- Support HDD up to 160GB

But there's no further increment in supported sizes in later versions...
Could this mean it's limited to 160Gb?

sincerely,
Erkan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I wonder if the later firmware versions that don't allow you to change hard drives do so by looking at the drives volume id. If so, this utility from www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/VolumeId.mspx will let you set the volume id if the hard drive is connected to a PC. I haven't yet upgraded my disk yet. Anyone who has upgraded, and the Archos won't allow your original drive could test this by setting the volume id of the old disk to the same value as the new disk's and seeing if it will allow it then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jason12 wrote:
Another success here. Purchased Achros 504 with v1.5.03. Installed 120GB Western Digital with v1.5.56.

Here is another view on what what said here and what to do. Basically there are two pieces in Archos design that work together. 1) Bootstrap (or boot code) located on-board. 2) OS located on the harddrive.

Bootstrap does some checks before starting the OS.

Bootstrap v.1.4.03 does not do Disk check

Bootstraps up to v1.5.56 (not sure about v1.6.xx) do not care what version of OS they are about to start.

The goal of the hack is to have installed bootstrap v1.4.03 with another OS on the HardDrive.

Here are the steps I did:
1. Original state: Bootstrap v1.5.03; 40G HDD v1.5.03; 120G - blank.
2. Downgrade to v.1.4.03 with 40G HDD installed. Current state: Bootstrap v.1.4.03; 40G HDD v1.4.03; 120G - blank.
3. Replace 40G HDD with 120G. Power up. Select Format. Upgrade to v1.4.03. Restart. Verify that version is indeed 1.4.03. Current state - all v1.4.03.
4. Copy v1.5.56 file into root directory. Update. When error just turn the power off. Current state: Bootstrap v1.5.56, 40G HDD v1.4.03, 120g HDD v.1.5.56
5. Replace 120G HDD with 40G. Device should start normally. Verify that version is v1.4.03 (eventhough the bootstrap is 1.5.56). Copy v.1.4.03 file into root. Run update. After it is done verify that version is v1.4.03. Curent state: Bootstrap v1.4.03, 40G HDD v1.4.03, 120G HDD v.1.5.56
6. Replace 40G HDD with 120G HDD. Power up. Device should start OK. Verify that version is v1.5.56.

DONE!

I did not try higher versions because was not sure if the bootstrap let me to downgrade to 1.4.03. Seems that 1.5.xx do work.

I am going to backup 40G HDD (1.4.03) soon. I wonder if this image might help someone to downgrade the bootstrap to 1.4.03. Let me know.

Thanks guys.

Hi Jason,

UPDATE!!!

This is my second time around, this time I tried your method with another archos 504 that had 1.5.03 firmware that I bought for my son and it worked. The only problem is that I can't change the wall paper or the picture name in the appearance menu. That's not a big deal, but I was wondering if you're having the same problem. I also read in your earlier post that you haven't tried a later firmware yet, when you do let me know, or if anyone else who tried Jason's method and was able upgrade to later firmware let me know. Have you tried any plugins yet?....Thanks Jason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

BTW, I upgraded from the 504 40gb to a Samsung 160gb drive, I forgot to mention that in my last post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wiz wrote:
I wonder if the later firmware versions that don't allow you to change hard drives do so by looking at the drives volume id. If so, this utility from www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/VolumeId.mspx will let you set the volume id if the hard drive is connected to a PC. I haven't yet upgraded my disk yet. Anyone who has upgraded, and the Archos won't allow your original drive could test this by setting the volume id of the old disk to the same value as the new disk's and seeing if it will allow it then.

I've been playing around some and it appears to be more complex than that. I picked up a second 40GB Travelstar and have been trying to convert it to a backup without any success. I'm up to date with the latest firmware (1.6.23) and that obviously doesn't help my cause at all.

I actually used a disk cloning package to copy the original disk. You can't "see" it if you are looking at the drive when it's hooked up to the Archos (via usb), but if you pull the drive and hook it up directly to your PC, you'll see that there's 99mb of the disk that's unformatted. This unformatted (invalid partition?) does appear to contain data. It's tough to say how well of a job the cloning software did, but from what I could tell it did a good job. When I booted the cloned disk I got the option of Format or USB. Selecting Format appeared to format the drive, but after it was done only one file was written to the drive and it still wouldn't boot into the OS.

I have a feeling I could spend a lot of my time working on this and getting nowhere, so at this point I'm going to wait until someone smarter than me figures this out. If the hard drive dies and it's out of warranty, I guess I'll be stuck sending it to Archos. Hopefully they'll still be around at that time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

er.. from all the reading that i've been doing, so since i upgraded my archos to the 1.6.23 version, is there no way i can swap my hd to a larger one? and is the max hd for 504 160GB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:18 am 

for those that have upgraded past the point of no return, have you tryed removing the button cell on the mainboard. you may need to leave it out for some time to clear the rom but this may leave it blank and allow you to copy over an older firmware?. probally useless but im taking shots in the dark as i own the 604.
roy

Post subject: Re: firmware
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:48 am 
dutcherkan wrote:
thanks,... got it..!

I'm planning to upgrade a 40Gb 504 with a 250Gb WD HDD.
Should work because there's some dude in Hongkong selling one...

Will post on results....

kind regards,
Erkan

Just curious whether anyone has had success in using a 250GB hard drive on an Archos 504.

Ive had success replacing my 40GB with a 160GB but didnt have much success in replacing it with a 250GB.

Just wanted to know 160GB is the max hard disk size.

anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi to all! i just joined this board! =D> i followed this fred since some time.

i allways bought archos players! since years! and why? because you could change harddrives on your own!!! i hate this new sh**! :(
so what did? i tried to change an 160 @6.1.23 to an 250 wd! and of course it went wrong [-X *grrrrr*

so i grabbed an 80 @1.2.08 on egay and so it went:

change 80>250
format 250 on archos
copy firmware 1.2.08 on hd and update
everything worked perfect! (btw you have to copy the background pics on the drive. they are not included in any update. so changing them works!)

now i copied firmware 1.4.03 on hd and updated.
everything seems to be ok!

and then i copied firmware 6.1.23 (!) on hd and updated!
and it works perfect. \:D/ i will stress the item these days and if any problem will occur i will post it!

after that the 80 @1.2.08 was not accepted any more, as expected! =; ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:48 pm 
I gave it another shot.

originally got the 504 from target 40gb @1.2.05 for $165 with the DVR station.

successfully replaced 40gb with 160gb
1. updated from 1.2.05 to 1.4.03
2. replaced 40gb with blank 160gb
3. formatted 160gb and copied 1.4.06 into new 160gb
4. after firmware update and restart, I have an archos 504 160gb.
booted OS from new 160gb. everything works great except
wallpaper.
5. copied 1.4.03 firmware to root and re-flashed back to 1.4.03.
still working fine.

So I now have an Archos 504 with 160GB hard disk.

Then a fews days later, I received a new 250gb western digital drive I bought from newegg, in hopes of replacing 160Gb to 250GB.

6. So, I copied 1.4.03 firmware to root and re-flashed the 160GB with 1.4.06 firmware back to 1.4.03.

7. replaced the 160gb with the blank 250gb drive.
8. powered on archos 504, selected format drive at the prompt.
9. plugged usb chord, and copied 1.4.06 firmware to root when
prompted
10. and it seemed like the update completed.. *yeeey!!!

WRONG!!!!!

It kept bringing me back to the prompt to <repair>, <format>, etc.

I thought maybe I needed a higher firmware version. So I tried the next higher versions up until I reached version 1.5.04.

But I stopped trying at 1.5.04 in fear that I would have locked the firmware in, if I tried any higher.

so I gave up and stuck the 160gb back in and powered the 504 back on and it still worked. I then checked the firmware and it still reported 1.4.03.

after, a few more days and Mr. Idefix reported that he successfully got 250gb to work. So I decided to give it another shot.

Broke out the precision scredrivers, and I replaced the 160gb with same 250gb drive that I previously failed to install.

Only this time, before powering the 504 on, I did a reset. ( press and hold on the button right by the power contact tips right above the hard drive screws ).

I powered archos 504 on, and to my surprise, I was greeted by the Archos Menu.

I was expecting the (repair, format, done) choices but I'll take the Archos menu over that.

I checked the firmware and it is 1.5.04. I tried to re-flash 1.4.03 again but it would not let me. It reported bad firmware version. So I'm ok with 1.5.04. I'm gonna wait till I upgrade to the later versions....

So now, I have an Archos 504 with 250GB of hard disk space, running firmware 1.5.04.

So now I'm wondering, If I hold on to the original 40GB drive which supposedly has 1.4.03 firmware installed, would I just need to re-attach that 40gb drive and re-flash back to 1.4.03 if I need to install a new drive?

anyway... sorry for the lengthy post.. but I thought Id share my results as It may help out some.

I know I wouldnt have been able to get successful drive replacement if it werent for the kind people here who shared their experiences.

Last edited by danrey22312 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next