Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:00 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

loic wrote:
Where is this soft ???? :roll:

My theory (which I have explained before) is that the hdd has some special ID or something like that stored in its firmware. The bootloader (the piece of software that will be executed first after powering on the 605 and that resides in some flash-rom) will simply check the ID or secret info and refuse to boot if it's not correct. No black hdd-hot-swapping-magic will overcome this because the info simply isn't there and thus the bootloader cannot find it.

Archos support will simply add this secret info to the hdd and hence the new hdd will be accepted by the bootloader. However, if asymmetric keying is used as archos have done in their firmwares before chances are very slim that this information can be created for a new hdd by anyone else than archos. E.g. the hdd-firmware could hold the hdd-serial encrypted with a secret key which only archos knows but which can be decrypted with a public key inside the bootloader. Since there is no way of encrypting the new hdd-serial of a new hdd such that the bootloader will consider it valid, you cannot trick the bootloader into believing that the new hdd is "authorised".

You may continue to try, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yes, Your explanation is correct.

But, the maintenance service is very secret because the soft is often in web.

I remarque :

in my directory G:\System\POS I have 3 files with password (with rar exe), but the file inside is a504.aos (a firmware):
demolock_1_1_0_6.exe
demolock_uk_1_1_0_6.exe
demorecovery_1_1_0_6.exe

What this firmware ??

2 A strange reaction, if you put a date after today, eg 2010, then archos don't read file HD (no music, no video )
It's your same on your archos :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Dioxin,

I agree with you, i think the files is demo for sale, however this files is a firmware !! What version ? :roll: Files download or reset perhaps 504 to change disk ?

For your procedure Dioxine, I believe that it is correct but i don't sure ;)

That you think of this procedure to operate ? :roll:

1. With a iso image of hard disk archos version =< 1.4.03
2. put iso image on original 40 Go Hard disk
3. Flash in 1.4.03 or under
it's OK or NOT :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I would like to thank you guy's in here.

I have successfully upgraded my Archos 40gb to a 160gb Samsung drive. I am now running firmware 1.6.23

Followed the instruction in this thread and works fine.

Thankyou.

Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:57 am 
Archos User
Archos User

mosc007 wrote:
I would like to thank you guy's in here.

I have successfully upgraded my Archos 40gb to a 160gb Samsung drive. I am now running firmware 1.6.23

Followed the instruction in this thread and works fine.

Hmmmm... there's what.. about a gazillion different "instructions" in this thread. Can you be specific and detail out exactly what you did that worked?

No offense, I just can't tell what works and what doesn't anymore.

Maybe a new thread of end-to-end recipes instead of blurbs here and there with mega restrictions and a plethora of unknowns...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am curious to know if my idea would work.

It seems to me that this magic stock 40gb drive with older firmware is like the "Pandora's Battery" for the PSP.

What do you think would happen if I borrow someone's original 40gb drive with the 1.4.x firmware and throw it into my 80gb 504, which has newer firmware and makes downgrading impossible let alone upgrading to 160gb.

Could this work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

Do you try disconnect all power during the update ? :?
Perhaps after, it possible to downgrade ?

But archos will restart :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:38 am 

loic wrote:
Hi,

Do you try disconnect all power during the update ? :?
Perhaps after, it possible to downgrade ?

But archos will restart :oops:

not advisable as you stand a good chance of bricking the unit.
roy

Post subject: knackered 604 wifi
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The hard drive in my 604 wifi has always been a bit dodgy and just waiting for me to give it a knock. The other day I obliged and now every TV recording results in a broken or corrupt file. It boots up fine, but large sectors of disk can't be written to, because I dropped it whilst it was playing (I scanned the disk and there are a lot of bad sectors). If you fancy dropping yours, at least wait til it's turned off.

I bought an identical 30g slim HDD off ebay which appears to be fine, despite the three feet drop through the letter box when the posty delivered it. I installed it, got to the USB/format option in recovery mode, dropped the olderst version of firmware I could find into the root, 1.5.56, the device installed it rebooted and..........nada...back to same recovery screen! Note, I tried backdating the firmware on the original drive to 1.5.56 first. Apparently there's a 1.3.10 version for the 604 wifi, but I can't find it anywhere. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful. Right now I have a very expensive paperweight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

cjcox wrote:
Hmmmm... there's what.. about a gazillion different "instructions" in this thread. Can you be specific and detail out exactly what you did that worked?

No offense, I just can't tell what works and what doesn't anymore.

Maybe a new thread of end-to-end recipes instead of blurbs here and there with mega restrictions and a plethora of unknowns...

I found it pretty obvious what to do.

1. Put in new Hard Drive.
2. Format it as instructed.
3. Load firmware 1.6.23.
4. Put back OLD Hard Drive
5. Load Firmware 1.4.03.
6. Put back New Hard Drive.
7. New hard drive now works.

Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi mosc007,

Quote:
. Put in new Hard Drive.
2. Format it as instructed.
3. Load firmware 1.6.23.
4. Put back OLD Hard Drive
5. Load Firmware 1.4.03.
6. Put back New Hard Drive.
7. New hard drive now works.

I 'll want to know a precision : :?:

What version in your original 40Go before beginning ?

Before, your archos is 1.4.03 or > version eg: 1.5.XX

Thank - ;)

Post subject: 604 wifi HDD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If you are trying to swap your HDD on a 604wifi, don't bother! I tried all that downgrading malarchy and none of it works. I called support, told them I wasn't trying to upgrade, that I'd bought the exact same hard drive and would they kindly mind installing it for a fee. They said they'd happily fix my Archos for a huge fee and I have to use one of their hard drives as they can't accept liability, etc etc. I said I'd write a disclaimer, but they didn't want to know. It's a money-making exercise if you ask me. Incidentally, the support guy said there were a "select few" who can do HDD swaps (for security reasons he said). Looks like you are lucky if you are a 504 owner. Appears they started locking them down properly after that. If anyone can crack a 604 wifi I'd be interested to know and sceptical if you say you can!

Wish I'd bought and i-thingy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

loic wrote:
Hi mosc007,

I 'll want to know a precision : :?:

What version in your original 40Go before beginning ?

Before, your archos is 1.4.03 or > version eg: 1.5.XX

Thank - ;)

It was 1.5.03

BTW, Archos say you cant downgrade 1.6.53 on thier web page.

Well, In fact you can.

I accidently installed 1.6.53 on another new HDD. (Changed My 160GB Samsung for a 160GB Hitachi. Reason is Hitachi is lower power.)

I used the above method again and now I have 1.6.53 Running on a new 160GB Hitachi HDD.

BTW, It is a 504. Originaly 40GB.

One thing I have found interesting. Each time I change the HDD I get a NEW product Key. I am about to make sure my Cinema Plugin still works. My Archos reports it is still an installed Plugin even after changing HDD and Firmware.

I doubt I would have been able to load it again since the Product Key has changed. Unless the Product key can be changed as easily as putting the old id.sys file back into the system folder ?.

PS, Just tested the Cinema Plugin and it still works.

Charles

Last edited by mosc007 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

BTW,

I do find it ABSOLUTLY discusting that Archos could even consider Locking the HDD to the Device.

This STINKS Big time. If your HDD fails your ONLY option is to PAY Archos HEAPS of money to get it working again.

Imagine if PC manufacturers started doing this !....

Luckely the 504 can still be done. Even firmware 1.6.53 can be done.

I have not heard of this on any other device. I also have a Shinco PMP- 1700 that had a 40GB hard drive. Installed a 120GB and it is quite happy. It did not like a 160GB though.

Charles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi I was wondering if there was any updates for the 504 and being able to upgrade..? I don't recall seeing how the ISO potential solution worked or didn't. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

any new updates on this project??? got a 504 with 80gb hdd with the latest fw of 1.6.53....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What's up fellow Archos fans? Today, I FINALLY upgraded an Archos 504 40gb that I got off of eBay to a WHOPPING 250gb Hard drive! As you can probably tell, I'm very excited. The process was surprisingly easy after following some of the directions that was given here on this very thread. To be honest, nobody on here provided a clear-cut set of instructions as to how to upgrade your 504 so I thought I'd take the liberty of writing up my set of instructions of how to upgrade your Archos 504 hard drive from a 40gb, 80gb, 160gb or whatever into a 250gb 2.5" PATA hard drive. Anyways here I go. These directions are very clear cut, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here and I'll try to help you out to the best of my ability. Anyways here's my Archos 504 hard drive swap tutorial:

What You Will Need:
1 T8 size Torx Screwdriver (We're going to be using this to take out the mini two-screw caddy for the original Archos 504 hard drive.)
1 Archos 504 WITH Firmware 1.4.03 OR LOWER! (The lower the firmware, the better. 1.4.03 still lets you downgrade your Archos 504 to a 1.4.03 or lower. This is of course assuming that the Archos has never been updated PAST 1.4.03. If you have an Archos 1.4.03 that hasn't been upgraded to any firmware beyond that, you SHOULD be good to go as your Archos hard drive has NOT been locked to your Archos 504.)
1 2.5" PATA (EIDE) hard drive (I used a Western Digital Scorpio 2.5" 250gb EIDE hard drive, check out http://www.newegg.com for a PATA (EIDE) hard drive that works best for you)
1 Small Phillips Head Screwdriver (We're using this to take out the two screws that hold down the Archos 504 hard drive to the motherboard. You'll need one for about 2 minutes tops to take out the screws and obviously put them back when the new hard drive is inserted.)

If you have an Archos 504 (no matter what hard drive) with Firmware 1.4.03 installed OR LOWER, you're pretty much set to upgrade you hard drive to a much bigger one. Anyways let's begin (assuming you have your hard drive of course.)

1) Be sure to back up anything you might want to save on your Archos 504. When you install the new hard drive, there will be absolutely no pictures or music of any kind on it. Be smart, back all your shit up before you swap hard drives.
2) Change the Archos 40gb HDD or whatever with 1.4.03 firmware or lower to 250gb HDD with NO firmware installed.
3) Once installed and properly screwed on, Format the 250gb HDD on the Archos.
4) When the Archos asks to insert a USB cable to update, Copy firmware 1.2.05 on the 250gb HDD now and update the Archos. You can download 1.2.05 for the Archos 504 here. http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=26&v_code=125
5) You should now have an Archos 504 with a 250gb HDD running Firmware 1.2.05. SWEEET!

Optional steps (if firmware 1.2.05 is just not cutting it for you.)
6) Copy firmware 1.4.03 OR 1.5.56 onto the Archos 250gb HDD and upate the Archos.
7) You should now have an Archos 504 with a 250gb HDD running Firmware 1.4.03 or 1.5.56, whichever one you decided to update to. It don't matter. =] 1.5.56 is the best because it supports plug-ins purchased from www.archos.com. I could be wrong on that but earlier in this thread, it's been said that firmware 1.5.56 is the last firmware that will let you downgrade past 1.5.04 and lower. It also corrects the USB-charging problem which will allow your Archos 504 to recharge via the USB cable. I say 1.5.56 is your best bet but if you want to play it safe and stay on 1.4.03, it's up to you. I guess it's USB to AC/DC adapters for you. ONLY UPDATE TO 1.5.56 if you're absolutely SURE you're not going to want to swap hard drives again. I can't be anymore clear on that.

If you so choose (doing so will lock your Archos 504 to your newly installed drive)
8) Copy firmware 1.6.53 onto the Archos 250gb HDD and upate the Archos.
9 You WILL NOW have a fully updated Archos 504 with a 250gb HDD. There will be no more further upgrades to other hard drives if you decide to update to this firmware.

This tutorial really works best for people with Archos 504s with low firmwares currently installed. If you ever upgraded your Archos 504 at one point to a firmware like 1.6.53, you will not be able to upgrade your hard drive. I'm still unsure about 1.5.56 being able to downgrade BACK to 1.4.03 which allows for hard drive swapping. If anyone can shed any light on that, that would be much appreciated. The Archos 504 I upgraded had 1.2.05 installed. Once I got my new 2.5" PATA (EIDE) hard drive, I immediately swapped hard drives and went right to it. The Archos accepted my new hard drive and asked to update it. I popped in a 1.2.05 firmware and it updated and booted right up. Well I hope this tutorial helped anyone here. Feel free to ask me any questions about anything I just went through here. Thanks for reading.

A-R-V

Last edited by arvwillnotdie on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:49 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

will the some process work for the 604 wifi too? i have FW version 1.6.23. is my drive locked down?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The 604 has a 1.8" hard drive, totally different than your stand 2.5" laptop PATA hard drives. And anything above firmware 1.5.56 locks your Archos to your specific hard drive, thus making it impossible to swap hard drives. I'd say you're stuck with whatever hard drive you currently have installed. The good news is that Archos 504 40gbs on eBay are surprisingly cheap. It never hurts to ask them what firmware their Archos 504s are running before you decide to place a bid. I bought a brand new Archos 504 40gb from eBay for $110.99 with FREE SHIPPING. It had firmware 1.2.05 running on it and I easily jumped at the chance to swap out hard drives. Again, if you have a Archos 40gb, 80gb or whatever that has firmware 1.5.56 or lower, you can easily swap out your hard drive for a bigger one. Just follow my directions and of course, ask questions whenever you need help.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

arvwillnotdie wrote:
ONLY UPDATE TO 1.5.56 if you're absolutely SURE you're not going to want to swap hard drives again. I can't be anymore clear on that.

If you so choose (doing so will lock your Archos 504 to your newly installed drive)

This is interesting as it means that the private key for locking the hdd must be somewhere in the firmware. Otherwise the firmware couldn't produce a valid signature for the hdd that's currently inside the Archos to thereby lock the Archos to this precise hdd. Extracting the private key would make it possible to sign any hdd.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next