Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:49 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There have been quite a few people who have sincerely wanted to help us out at openAOS and to help out with the community in general, but didn't know where to start. The goal of this post is to answer that question.

Things everybody can do:
  • Be grateful for that which you have been given. It represents a lot of _time_ and _work_ given to the community freely by people who could have otherwise spent their time earning money, with their family, sleeping, etc.
  • Let us know if you find bugs. We will do our best to fix them.
  • If you feel so inclined, make a donation to openAOS so hardware can be provided for developers.

Things the non-technical people can do:
  • Use the software. Make suggestions.
  • Spread the word. The more people we can get working on this, the faster development will go.
  • Let Archos know that you appreciate their push towards allowing third-party software to run on your device.

Things technically-inclined people can do:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:11 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I for one would like to see the 600 series (EG: 605 Wifi) be allowed to swap in our own HDD's. While I'm confident this is beyond your current capabilities, I would appreciate push-back on this. This would enable me to use things such as the open-source solutions.

<3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This is a thread about how we can help them, not want we want them to do for us. Please don't turn this into another 'Gimmie Gimmie I Want!' suggestions thread. There are other places for that.

And if you actually meant by what you wrote that you were actually starting up this project yourself and were looking for collaborators to work with you on this project of yours, apologies in advance. But you should create a new thread for that project.

Thanks!

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I considered that part of "Let Archos know that you appreciate their push towards allowing third-party software to run on your device." You could always ask them to extend this openness to the 605 as well. As for our part, we can't do much until an SDE is released from Archos. So what can you do? Send some emails and/or snail mails. Take a look here: http://www.archos.com/corporate/company/contact_us.html

*edit - fix the copy/paste error

Last edited by CheBuzz on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi guys, will the bug reports be separated out into Archos5 and Archos5IT specific sections?

I'd like to start enumerating what is wrong with Angstrom on the Archos5IT, if only to share my frustrations ;) :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I should say that I am working on resolving some of those too ;) So I'm not just here to complain.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:44 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

http://www.archos.com/corporate/company/contact_us.htm 404'd

need the "L"

http://www.archos.com/corporate/company/contact_us.html

also, the beauty of open source is that alot of the bugs you can find, you can fix! don't be scared to suggest patches along with bug-reports!

I must second the appreciation to archos for opening up the newer series (and i'll do so here as I know at the very least archos employee nz reads the boards, thanks bro/or sis).

And then I'll go ahead and second the plea for archos to open up the 600 series! And I even have a pre 1.7.13 605, but the main point is people with more technical skills than myself--like openAOS and others would be more inclined to help develop with the archos blessing.

how hard would it be to get an openAOS build running in virtual-box so others who don't have the newer a5/imt machines could develop/bug-fix? (like the one distributed with the mojoSDK for example)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry to be possibly noobish, but I have a 60gb Archos 5 that I can freely install the sde with no worries because I have a 1 year warranty on it through a 3rd party company (Service Net). As far as I know, they don't really care if it has had the SDE on it. (Which it has.) I bought it brand new from Newegg on 9/20/09 for $179.

I'll be glad to help anyway I can, as far as testing software and such. (as soon as it returns from being repaired, I'm guessing some time this week)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

does anyone here know how to write a script that will enable the installation of Linux
on ÔÇ£Archos 605 wifiÔÇØ device?

I was told by Archos Tech support that they wonÔÇÖt creating anymore updates for the Archos 605 not even the flash update.
He went on to saying that I could write a script that would allow for me to install a Linux OS on the device.
So I ask if they could do it he says no.

So can anyone help me as the flash that I have on the device is flash 9 and most websites I visit are using flash 10 so guys help to change the OS to one that will updates or the latest technology.

using firmware 2.1.04

contact me at: [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nicahlos wrote:
does anyone here know how to write a script that will enable the installation of Linux
on ÔÇ£Archos 605 wifiÔÇØ device?

Any specific reason you are hiding this in another topic and not starting one of your own? Or simply use the search function to see what has been done.

Nicahlos wrote:
contact me at: N
nope, sorry, this is a forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:16 am 
Archos User
Archos User

CheBuzz wrote:
There have been quite a few people who have sincerely wanted to help us out at openAOS and to help out with the community in general, but didn't know where to start. The goal of this post is to answer that question.

Things everybody can do:
  • Be grateful for that which you have been given. It represents a lot of _time_ and _work_ given to the community freely by people who could have otherwise spent their time earning money, with their family, sleeping, etc.
  • Let us know if you find bugs. We will do our best to fix them.
  • If you feel so inclined, make a donation to openAOS so hardware can be provided for developers.

Things the non-technical people can do:
  • Use the software. Make suggestions.
  • Spread the word. The more people we can get working on this, the faster development will go.
  • Let Archos know that you appreciate their push towards allowing third-party software to run on your device.

Things technically-inclined people can do:

jim i got a dead one.... your links are dead, where do i send my device...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:46 pm 

penguinrepair wrote:
where do i send my device...

Quote:
We are always looking for dead Archos devices (any generation) to do some in-depth analysis. If you have non-functioning hardware that you would care to donate to the project, please send an email to donations at (this site's name) .org

Pulled from the donation page at openaos. The link to the donations works fine.
http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Donations