Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After reading LOT of topics about hard disk swapping in archos recent product family, today I had an idea, may bad, maybe good.

The idea is that:

there are softwares around that are able to update an hard disk firmware: here you can find an autoboot iso that performs the update on lenovo laptop models (2.5' and 1.8', not 3.5'):

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... harddrives

(the software is born for the lenovo ThinkPad laptop serie).

or:

http://files.hddguru.com/index.php

(many interesting softwares there)

In those softwares we are able to find the .BIN files that will be loaded in to the hdd... my question is this: if the REAL PHYSICAL serial number is stored in the firmware, we can modify it directly in the .BIN file that is usualy NOT encrypted with an hex editor and then upload it.

Now 2 problems:

1) How to download an archos hdd firmware to obtain a bin to modify ?

2) If 1 is not possible, is there a way to read the serial number via software and then using it in another already present in the database firmware ?

3) Is the firmware in lenovo database related to their laptop or is it a generic firmware ?

I hope that someone will answer, even to say "you are an idiot" !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ok, as you wish, "you are an idiot". :) Just Kidding. :p

It sounds possible, but I would imaging serial # is written in the different area of the hard drive.
We should get Junior's opinion on this topic. He will probably know the answer to that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So let's wait for Junior !

Here is another good link:

http://hddworld.com/Hddpcb.shtml

many pcb circuitery-related stuff. There you can find main chip names... they are programmable devices... why no one on the net offer a simple programmer for those specific ones ? Only PC3000 ? That sounds strange...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Another interesting link that seems to solve one of the mentioned problems: HOW TO FIND REAL SN:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/hard_d ... ialno.aspx

there you can find a free software+source to get REAL hard drive serial number; I think it works (the serial is DIFFERENT from the one displayed in the windows hard disk properties)... even if it gives me a strange result compared to the one displayed in the picture... it seems to add 2020202 at the end of the serial... maybe only in maxtor devices... anyone can confirm ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

asper wrote:
(the serial is DIFFERENT from the one displayed in the windows hard disk properties)... even if it gives me a strange result compared to the one displayed in the picture... it seems to add 2020202 at the end of the serial... maybe only in maxtor devices... anyone can confirm ?

This is dumping it out in hex format -- just look up the ascii values, pretty sure it'll be the same as your windows provided one :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No, I just verified it, it's the REAL HARDWARE serial number (not the volume one);
you are right, you must convert it into HEX then invert the ASCII characters, but it works !

I am working on a software that will retrieve those info automatically... I have only one problem, when I ask the hard disk size it always tells me that is 127Gb... dunno why ! (I am using VB)

A trick: you can retrieve that value with firmware revision going in windows hardware resources.

Look at that picture to have a sum-up about what I said:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

asper wrote:
when I ask the hard disk size it always tells me that is 127Gb... dunno why !

Is that a 160G hdd or greater? 127G is a magical limit for 32bit sector addresses IIRC. So any harddisk larger than that may be "truncated" to 127G if the software cannot use 64bit addressing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah 160Gb, probably an old .dll I used. Anyway the serial is CORRECT.

Anyway I found lot of stuff about hard disk firmware reprogramming... it is possible, it only requires some studies... it had been already done for Western Digital (without using very expensive software+hardware, only a VERY little software -hddhackr- and DOS mode)... the hardest thing is to log "secret" ATA vendor-specific commands... I will further investigate that... at present lot of WD disks can be modified with any serial number, just look into xbox-mod scene for "HddHackr" (v 1.22 latest revision - can be found at http://www.xbins.org/).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

grond wrote:
asper wrote:
when I ask the hard disk size it always tells me that is 127Gb... dunno why !

Is that a 160G hdd or greater? 127G is a magical limit for 32bit sector addresses IIRC. So any harddisk larger than that may be "truncated" to 127G if the software cannot use 64bit addressing.

There is a way to get past this. I dont know why or how its working but I managed to get an av series up past the 127gb limit. Technically it shouldnt be working but it is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Today I managed to read and write some maxtor hard disk firmware modules allowing (in a potential way) me to modify the serial (this step is on my plan list when I will manage to connect a second and NOT USEFUL maxtor hard drive; the tests are done with my 1st maxtor drive and I don't want to trash it !) !!! In the next days I will try to investigate the (in)famous secret commands sent by that software to the ATA interface in order to publish them.

@ Junior: if you want to share with us your technique it will be great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Managed to change Maxtor serial number but learned that the hard disk ID module (the firmware part that contains also the serial number) needs a checksum recalculation so, for now, the hard disk is in a non-working state: it needs further investigations in order to understand how the checksum works.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

asper wrote:
Managed to change Maxtor serial number but learned that the hard disk ID module (the firmware part that contains also the serial number) needs a checksum recalculation so, for now, the hard disk is in a non-working state: it needs further investigations in order to understand how the checksum works.

so, did a solution ever come to fruition? I have searched all over the net and here and still have not found any real solution. Seems only one person here knows how.