Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

:!: updated - Sun Jul 17 18:11:22 UTC 2011 added debian/security repo to sources.list

:!: big update xinput and calibration on my a5it-8g and calibrate from inside the os
:!: the ubuntu repository breaks the network connection, so if you have no input, you have no system...
* please note: debootstrap is depreciated way to install to your device and there is easier ways to do what this does, this is for testing and setup to get a functional image to start from and build, and is no way user friendly.
* most of what "i" do with this image is develop, i add a complier, ssh into the device and develop. if you figure out what to do from there good, as far as i guess, hardware differs from device to device too much to be a full and usable system. If you intend to use this setup, great, best of luck, build from it, its a great tool as for the device makes a great machine with plenty of speed to work with.

:D This WILL create a bootable image that uses the original kernel or any (2.6.27-omap1) kernel that i know of it also has the option to upgrade to the openAOS multiroot but you lose the swap (unless you use the original kernel from the sde) and there are many down-sides
:cry: http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen&

:) i guess wifi and multiroot will work too.., its fairly easy if you use the openAOS tools

* im not too eager to post an image to this install
* the instructions need to be followed precisely and you can and will connect on reboot.
* i don' t have a "gates pc", my hardware functions properly, network on the pc needs to be routed correctly, and i don't recommend too much input into the "sde" (nor do i recommend setting up wifi the unit is full root and will be wide open to exploits.)
*if need be boot from a live-cd or pen-drive linux and setup from there, gnome-network manager is very easy to configure, if your hardware is the issue, get a different machine[/quote]
*Again, this is an initial setup and by no means a full install i use this guide to get the device up and running, it will get debian installed and ready for setup for image creation, if you have hardware or network issues look or open another thread
* pm me if you have issues with this setup or the image that i've spent ALOT of time building.
* Again i use this as reference to setup and that is it, any farther than that requires a thread.
* there are many other ways to install debian on the device, and this method is depreciated, again this is for advanced linux operators only * if you have issues in this area and dont understand debian these instructions are not for you seek a different avenue.
[/quote]
questions comments? if i dont answer put it here..
v v v v v v
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=54484
*** thank-you
lew8w8, unknown, Johnnathan, and all the sites, listed in this "instruct"

* all the info here has been a modified instruct
using info from kevin's original here >>> http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Debian

:!: if your device does not connect to your pc and get an ip via udhcp inside the sde don't bother continuing
:!: if you dont know what i said in the last sentences STOP now!

1. Boot the device into Recovery and select Repair Disk

2. Back up your device
Code:
# from the host pc
mkdir -p ~/archos-backup
cp -axv /media/ARCHOS5/* ~/archos-backup/

(skip this step and goto step 4 and use the archos way but you need to have a bootable image to install to)
(if you have run this script and followed it correctly and have a corrupt install,"dont format the wrong image"
renaming rootfs.img -> debian.img rootfs.original -> rootfs.img and format the debian.img and skip to 7.)
3. Unmount it and format the internal drive
Code:
# from the host pc
sudo fdisk -l
mount
# you will see what device is the a5it and where its mounted
# note the output to find the device

umount /media/ARCHOS5/
sudo mke2fs /dev/sdXX -j -L ARCHOS5

4. When the format completes, unplug the device, then reconnect, then copy the sde to the device, then unmount it safely. The SDE, instructions and warnings about it are here. htttp://www.archos.com/support/support_ ... dates.html
Code:
# from the host pc
# i am assuming that /home/<username>/Downloads/firmware_archos5.aos is the SDE
# your location may be different
sudo cp -axv ~/Downloads/firmware_archos5.aos /media/ARCHOS5/
sync
umount /media/ARCHOS5/

5. Select done, and wait for the update successful. Then, hold the powerbutton until the device powers off,
disconnect the usb, power back up into recovery, and select Repair Disk again.

5a. Connect the device and copy the zipped rootfs.img found on the internal drive to your home folder
(we are gonna make room for debian), unzip it so we can format and resize it, format the image, create a 2G empty file in tempand add some empty space to the image then resize to a little over 2G.
Code:
# from the host pc
sudo cp -axv /media/ARCHOS5/rootfs.img.gz ~/.
cd ~
gunzip rootfs.img.gz
sudo mke2fs -j rootfs.img
# dd is a very powerful tool and should be used with caution verify what you are doing before you use it
# it is optional either go with a larger or smaller image try to leave room so you can "play"
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/empty bs=1G count=2
sudo cat /tmp/empty >> rootfs.img
rm /tmp/empty
sudo resize2fs rootfs.img 2G
# 2G is a confortable start, you can also mount more images/resize/endless, thats why i love linux,
# how much depends on your knowledge and needs currently my usr/src directory is 120G (mounted usb)
# and my device is only an a5it-8g-with-andrd
# when these instructions are up i want to see if wifi really works, and if i can get bt and alsa functioning

6. Copy the image back to the device with a new name, sync, unmount safely.
Code:
# from the host pc
# this next step takes a while...
sudo cp -axv rootfs.img /media/ARCHOS5/debian.img
sync
umount /media/ARCHOS5/

7. Select done and then select no (hold the powerbutton for10 secs)to power down
power up and wait for the sde to setup
8. Create a user and a password, select your language, set your time and zones, keys and buttons, and user access, logout then login as usual
9. Select other -> root-shell, set a password for root and enable usb network, edit /etc/networking/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf, disconnect the usb form the pc and establish a connection to the internet with the pc.
Code:
# again if you cannot gain an address from udhcp using usb g_ether this is NOT going to work for you
# from root-shell on the a5it
passwd
# enable network
rmmod musb_hdrc
modprobe musb_hdrc mode_default=2
modprobe g_ether
# if you get an error No such Device (as i did) unplug and plug in the usb
# edit /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto usb0
iface usb0 inet dhcp
# comment out anything you dont use
# edit /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

10. Connect to your pc and share the connection, then restart the connection and test internet.
(*note the ip that udhcp aquires you will need it in the next step)
Code:
# from the root-shell inside the sde
ifdown usb0
ifup usb0
ping google.com

11. If you successfully connected ssh into the unit from your pc, accept the key and enter the password you created earlier
Code:
# from the host machine connected to the internet
ssh [email protected]<*ip that udhcp aquired>

12. Make an install directory and mount the image, create a couple directories and copy the kernel, modules, and firmware over to the image, and copy networking configs hostname and fstab to the image
Code:
# from the host machine inside the sde via ssh
mkdir -p /mnt/debian
mount -o loop /mnt_data/debian.img /mnt/debian
mkdir -p /mnt/debian/boot
mkdir -p /mnt/debian/lib/modules
mkdir -p /mnt/debian/lib/firmware
cp -r /boot/* /mnt/debian/boot/
cp -r /lib/modules/* /mnt/debian/lib/modules/
cp -r /lib/firmware/* /mnt/debian/lib/firmware/
mkdir -p /mnt/debian/etc/network
cp -r /etc/network/interfaces /mnt/debian/etc/network/
cp -r /etc/hostname /mnt/debian/etc/
cp -r /etc/fstab /mnt/debian/etc/
cp -r /etc/modules /mnt/debian/etc/

13. Download cdebootstrap-static from debian.org, extract and install, start the install, move root into home(i like home to be home) and create a symlink to /, create your "jail" and login,
Code:
wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/cdebootstrap/cdebootstrap-static_0.5.7_armel.deb
ar -x cdebootstrap-static_0.5.7_armel.deb data.tar.gz
tar -xz -C / -f data.tar.gz
rm data.tar.gz cdebootstrap-static_0.5.7_armel.deb
# next step installs debian with a couple things we need
cdebootstrap-static --flavour=minimal --allow-unauthenticated --include=dhcp3-client,ifupdown,procps,netbase,vim-tiny,module-init-tools,wget,openssh-server,apmd,dialog,man-db,apt-utils squeeze /mnt/debian/ http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
# if you have enough room back up the image if you wish now... it is 2G but can be shrunk/compressed

mount -t proc proc /mnt/debian/proc
mount -t devpts devpts /mnt/debian/dev/pts
# thank you Jonathan Moerman
# i think it's ok again
cp -r /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/debian/etc/
## added 7-6 how come i didn't see this mtab never updated in the original
cp /proc/mounts /etc/mtab
chroot /mnt/debian /bin/bash
# from the host machine inside the sde via ssh chrooted into debian
# create move home to /home(optional) and create a password
mv /root /home/root
ln -sf /home/root /root
passwd root

14. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add the repo's that we are going to need for the install
Code:
## note: only uncomment during future steps - VERY IMPORTANT - if udev gets installed it will corrupt your install
## debian squeeze on archos 5it
# deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
# deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
###using ubuntu-ports breaks the rc.local script if you enable them you need a different way to interface
## deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports natty main universe multiverse restricted
## deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports natty main universe multiverse restricted
## note: only uncomment during future steps - VERY IMPORTANT - if udev gets installed it will corrupt your install

14. Create atmega pinger and make it executable
Code:
cat > /usr/sbin/ping_atmega <<__END__
#!/bin/sh
##/usr/sbin/ping_atmega

while true; do
   head -c 4 /dev/atmg > /dev/null
   sleep 60
done
__END__
chmod +x /usr/sbin/ping_atmega

15. Edit /etc/rc.local and make it look like the following
Code:
#!/bin/sh -e
# rc.local

modprobe musb_hdrc
/usr/sbin/ping_atmega &

rmmod musb_hdrc
modprobe musb_hdrc mode_default=2
modprobe g_ether

/sbin/ifdown usb0 &
sleep 3
/sbin/dhclient usb0 &
/sbin/ifup usb0 dhcp &

exit 0

16. Then we need to wake up the network, install the locales, and install some packages.
for this step we need to uncomment sid to install locales
Code:
echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 nameserver 8.8.4.4 > /etc/resolv.conf
### changes made 7-6
# for this step we need to uncomment sid to install locales from /etc/apt/sources.list as explained earlier
# libc-bin libc6 are going to be updated
apt-get update
apt-get install locales
# edit /etc/locale.gen and uncomment your needed locales
locale-gen
[code]
[/code]
# 117 new & libstdc++6 gets upgraded
apt-get install nodm libfs6 libglu1-mesa libpng12-0 libts-0.0-0 libts-bin tsconf x11-apps x11-session-utils x11-xfs-utils xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-scalable xorg xorg-docs-core xserver-xorg-input-tslib
# i selected USA (just a guess the device keyboard is invisable)
# script edits /etc/default/nodm and change autostart from false to true
# root should auto start nodm and enlightement
# edit /etc/default/nodm and change autostart from false to true root will auto start nodm, and enlightement
# you can't enable a user at this time you need root privelages to get things working inside then create a user after the install
apt-get update
apt-get install e17
# 87 new installs and liblocale-gettext-perl libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl perl-base get upgraded
# unless you have another interface idea
# time to lie to x and create calibration files
cat >  /etc/pointercal<<__END__
793 0 -95501 0 508 -116804 3830
__END__
mkdir -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
cat >  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-touchcal.conf<<__END__
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "calibration"
        MatchProduct    "ADS2008 Touchscreen"
        Option  "Calibration"   "117 3929 217 3854"
EndSection
__END__

# edit /etc/apt/sources.list and comment out sid and uncomment squeeze
# this should get nodm to start on next reboot
pkill gpe
apt-get update
apt-get remove nodm
apt-get install nodm
# Kevin's scripts were removed, if you want them see here -> http://dev.openaos/wiki/Debian

# (make sure squeeze is the only repo enabled)
apt-get --yes --purge remove cdebootstrap-helper-rc.d
apt-get update
# exit the "jail" unmount everything and reboot
exit
umount /mnt/debian/dev/pts
umount /mnt/debian/sys
umount /mnt/debian/proc
sync
umount /mnt/debian
sync
reboot & exit

18. Make sure the device restarts, login and logout/shutdown using the menu, then reboot into recovery select repair drive and mount it to your pc.
...ok take a deep breath we're almost there
:!: good time to back up the image to your pc... :!:
Code:
# from the host pc and the a5it boooted to recovery/repairdisk
sudo mv /media/ARCHOS5/rootfs.img /media/ARCHOS5/rootfs.original
sudo mv /media/ARCHOS5/debian.img /media/ARCHOS5/rootfs.img
sync
umount /media/ARCHOS5/

* Keep the pc connected select done, select no, hold power 10 secs, power back into recovery select no and the device (should)reboot as normal, wait for it.... the screen will flash and then you will see the language screen
the pc should already be connected,

###if nodm fails to start establish a connection and install nodm from squeeze

we're done with the install

every thing from here down is just notations

connection. From the pc, ping the subnet that the usb is on to find the device, then ssh into it using the password you created during installation (*if your internet is 192.168.1.X then the subnet is probably 10.42.43.X. The first 3 sets will be the same as the ip you used earlier to log into the sde)
***example: ssh [email protected]?
*** if your touch works open xterm from the menu and ipconfig
# test your touch at this time to see if it works at this step if not continue

(the device should auto-connect and keep its dhcp lease)
on the pc do the following to calibrate the screen(if needed)
# from the host pc sshed into debian install

:) calibration from a terminal
TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event2 ts_calibrate
yes this works! updates /etc/pointercal correctly

as promised: the image that it created
have fun http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K97PGF1K

* edit rc.local and remove .sh from ping_atmega.sh & (see step 15)
:D yes love the fact that i have debian and that it's working well

****also further note, if for some reason the device does not start x or the filesysem gets "fragged"
restart into recovery rename the rootf back to debian.image and rootfs.original back to rootfs.img and it will boot as the normal sde did before the install, and you can chroot into it and make repairs or edits there
****or set up you device the old way you had it....
****problems? pm me and let some other successors have the floor...
****there may be someone else with an idea for "debian on an it?"

Last edited by penguinrepair on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 16 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have an enlightenment language screen but can't do anything, tslib is installed but touchscreen is not working.
I can't ssh to the device. not with the sde not with meego not with debian...
dhcp seems to fail...
even if I disable g_ether I can't use usb mouse/keyboards...
I need some help...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hello
I can boot debian with e17 GUI by gold.img in this address: (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TPHNLJH0
)and by zimage and initramfs in this address : (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TPHNLJH0
). it`s good desktop and has full calibrate touch screen and beautiful face . thanks =D>
one problem ; after 2-3 min system tuned off . battery is full but ... . what`s wrong ? what i should to do ? :?:
and one question : how change e17 with lxde or xfce4 or ... desktop (in chroot enviroment in angstrom "apt-get remove e17" and "apt-get install lxde" it`s work?) :?:
and how install software in it ? (apt-get install in terminal?) :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

without seeing the output it is very difficult to diagnose your issue
? i thought you were a developer
start into recovery and swap your image names so you can boot into sde and diagnose it remotely
before you start this you need to
rename roots.org debian .image and rootfs.original
to shut down "remember this is not android and the filsystem will need to be repaired with fsck"
boot into the sde and recover the journal of the debian.img
Code:
e2fsck -fDvy /mnt_data/debian.img

"this will force, condence, and verify, and answer yes to the outputs"
and ssh into the the install from the sde via root /chroot
Code:
mount -o loop /mnt_data/debian.img /mnt/debian
mount -t sysfs sysfs /mnt/debian/sys
mount -t devpts devpts /mnt/debian/dev/pts
chroot /mnt/debian /bin/bash

first question, are you running a archos, 5it 8g with android? - if not drivers and modules are going to differ
second question, did you install an follow the instructions precisely? - if something didn't work or looked
funny or didn't install properly you are lucky to have gotten a boot screen.
verify the setup and check /var/logs for details on what is happening inside xserver, maybe a package isn't
compatible with your touchscreen, does it(xserver) see the touch? these outputs will be in the logs...

umm your last post said you were calibrating the screen now, if you did not calibrate how come the last post said calibrating the screen, the image may need to be redone, dhclient is set to autoconnect on reboot, what other packages did you install, ? does dhcp connect inside the sde? can you get a connection to xserver inside chroot?

it calls the dhcpserver very early on boot? /etc/rc.local so it may and probably is a problem on your pc
you can verify this in the sde
open root-shell
edit:
chroot into the image and /etc/init.d/rc.local start you should have output and be able to see if the connection is going to work if it doesn't this option will not work for you, debian is installed... but we need to figure a way to interface to it and get it connected

iif you dont know what im asking i dont think you should be running debian, there is also a link in an earlier post that operates and runs but uses the meego kernel, are you asking about that image?

with all of this said, you need to diagnose, either dual-boot the unit, or rename the image and chroot into the sde, either way, no dhcp/ no touch, no control

:? also you may note that i want this to work also, i've spent ALOT of time experimenting with getting this far maybe you can help with these issues.. id love to see it woking just as much as you and im now getting the image back on my device(2.6.27-omap1) per instructions to see what may have gone wrong, im guessing you have a a5it with android, so i will note and update instructions accordingly

Last edited by penguinrepair on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

floyd_cansil wrote:
hello
I can boot debian with e17 GUI by gold.img in this address: (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TPHNLJH0
)and by zimage and initramfs in this address : (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TPHNLJH0
). it`s good desktop and has full calibrate touch screen and beautiful face . thanks =D>
one problem ; after 2-3 min system tuned off . battery is full but ... . what`s wrong ? what i should to do ? :?:
edit>>
change rc.local and remove .sh from ping_atmega or rename the pinger
and one question : how change e17 with lxde or xfce4 or ... desktop (in chroot enviroment in angstrom "apt-get remove e17" and "apt-get install lxde" it`s work?) :?:
and how install software in it ? (apt-get install in terminal?) :?:

i dont know, i asked that in earlier posts, the answer didnt, seem to fix the problem, there is /usr/sbin/atmega /sbin/atmega one is from ubuntu_root, and the other is from openaos, but the device stiill needs to stay in the cradle or it will shut down due to thinking the battery is dead....

Last edited by penguinrepair on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

about the shutdown (unless your battery is really defect):

for 2.6.37.2 kernel my previous post is it. I tested it and it works fine.

for 2.6.27-omap1 kernel you need something like this: http://dev.openaos.org/browser/trunk/op ... rchos-init

two files: archos-init and ping-atmega. ok, openembedded and debian might differ... but thats all i can help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

my dear penguinrepair you are angry !!! ;) why :?:
if you can`t believe it, say i send you link of my screenshot and full details of my work.i can run debian with your description and you can`t believe it?
I research for this and finally can run it in my archos 5 it 32gb.but I want change it best with lxde GUI for high speed and wifi and very useful software and ... thank you very much for you help man . thanks :|

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

floyd_cansil wrote:
if you can`t believe it, say i send you link of my screenshot and full details of my work.i can run debian with your description and you can`t believe it?
I research for this and finally can run it in my archos 5 it 32gb.but I want change it best with lxde GUI for high speed and wifi and very useful software and ... thank you very much for you help man . thanks :|

>>> edit

inside the image there may be 2 ping_atmega scripts
one inside /sbin/
and one inside /usr/sbin
they are two different scripts
run one inside a terminal to see which one keeps the device alive and update /etc/rc.local accordinly

before you start you need to be able to connect to the device remotely and securely((hardwire) usb/serial)
if you kill e17 how do you expect to interface?
you can try to disable e17 from starting and add lxde desktop and renable gpm /etc/init.d/gpm enable
but wihout a keyboard/mouse/ssh i dont think its possible, you can also use the instructions, and replace the e17 package with lxde, but im not sure how you can control it... a5it doesn't allow keyboard/mouse/g_ether at the same time, and wifi :oops: i have no freekin clue, ive tried everything in my 9years of open embedded to get that closed source POS to work with that kernel and still no luck, i had more luck hooking up a hub and connecting my ambicom bcmwl wifi-card

the wl12X modules are there but they "puke" once you ifdown
alot of people are having trouble with it
"that is why i have reverted back to the sde kernel"
<<<<edit
:D no i'm not angry, i am trying to get the battery issue to be fixed on that image...
i like to get away from my desk and am frustrated.... the atmega pinger script does not keep that image awake and i am trying to fix that image and help Johnathan at the same time, i think i posted the instructions prematurely... :cry:

Last edited by penguinrepair on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dear unknown : :|
i know what is openembedded and debian ! i work in booting android and debian and angstrom by one zimage and initramfs.
and make installer.sh file for debian in archos gen7 which can`t read kernal from rootfs.img . however it`s all you can help .thanks for all you can help man ! :|

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

penguinrepair wrote:
floyd_cansil wrote:

:D no i'm not angry, i am trying to get the battery issue to be fixed on that image...
i like to get away from my desk and am frustrated.... the atmega pinger script does not keep that image awake and i am trying to fix that image and help Johnathan at the same time, i think i posted the instructions prematurely... :cry:

you forget answer my question how can change e17 with lxde . how change it with no error?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@floyd_cansil

I think, you somehow missunderstood me. no offense. allow me follwing stupid question: why would you want a installer.sh, when 1) the debootstrap aproach is deprected 2) the fist part of this guide http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Debian%20gen8 works nicely with a few modification for gen7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

thank you, unknown,
i think i can get back to programming now, my intent for this is to see an operational "debian\machine"
setup so developers can deveolp on the device in something that they are "familiar with" and not to be misunderstood as to have a full "os" running on the device. the image and instructions are for reference only
and not for a replacement environment, it is a couple of tools that i personally use to program in,
everyone else, enjoy if it works for you, and good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

unknown wrote:
@floyd_cansil

I think, you somehow missunderstood me. no offense. allow me follwing stupid question: why would you want a installer.sh, when 1) the debootstrap aproach is deprected 2) the fist part of this guide http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Debian%20gen8 works nicely with a few modification for gen7

everyone say everything . but no one can really work . we have not one really true article about installation full debian with GUI and wifi and ... in Archos gen7 and you say with a few modification ... :)
if you can write one scrip for full install debian from angstrom (from first step and after restart to debian can CONTINUANCE Installation and use true modules anf firmware anf config file and calibration info who use do nothing , please help me man)

penguinrepair wrote:
thank you, unknown,
i think i can get back to programming now, my intent for this is to see an operational "debian\machine"
setup so developers can deveolp on the device in something that they are "familiar with" and not to be misunderstood as to have a full "os" running on the device. the image and instructions are for reference only
and not for a replacement environment, it is a couple of tools that i personally use to program in,
everyone else, enjoy if it works for you, and good luck

dear penguinrepair you why :?
FOR ALL : PLEASE FIND EASY WAY FOR ALL .THANKS :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 am 
Archos User
Archos User

i develop inside the machine and have been working inside the archos...
i do not develop for android anymore
i loved opie back in 2006, but it got squashed by some guy that created "magic-cap" and who said he was working opensource, but as we all know, android is far from opensource, its just like winows, in which i haven't used since 98, im sorry for your issues, as i have some time ive been trying real hard to get this running stable and am eager
to have some help, again if someone has a better way, i do what i know, and quoting a better person, for me its been, ("...the linux philosiphy is "laugh in the face of danger". oops, wrong one, "do it yourself", that's it" - linus torvalds 1996), unfourtunately me being a linux user thats what i do, if my device does more than this ratty old turd ( pocketworkstation.org ), which it does, im happy....

and as far as the intstructions go it starts as a a classic install because nothing "easy" is written for the "antique" kernel that the archos comes with, if you update the install to sid/wheezy and install the newer kernel, its alot easier, development aint easy and it never has been, thats why we make the "big bucks" right? :?

ps: and oh... when my distro is available it will be free and opensource

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

:doubt: is it possible to use the openAOS "debug" initramfs.cpio.gz and not lose the 2.6.27-2-omap1 kernel with swap that i currently, which was included with the sde? i am trying to get debian to run on this device and can't seem to get a reliable ping to the atmg and don't think its the battery, android holds a charge fine and all the hardware functions fine, i am a bit frustrated....

im beginning to think that the microsd being enabled as swap may be keeping the device from charging, im not sure, but i get an error during compiling that says the same thing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hello all : 8)
not solution for turn off ??? it`s like watchdog in n900 but reason is battery . with full battery system say battery low.
about zimage : in gen 8 archos system can read kernel and initfs from rootfs . if boot loader (for exam uboot-GPL universal bootloader) can load zimage which start at 0x28 address and initramfs from boot folder of rootfs.img for each image (android , angstrom , debian , megoo maemo and ...)can boot with different kernel.This is used by several bootloaders to determine if any data is appended to the kernel image. This data is typically used for initramrd. The start address is usually 0 as the zImage code is position independent. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I ssh'd to the device via wifi but Xorg says this:

DISPLAY=:0.0 xinput_calibrator -v
selected device is not a touchscreen I understand

How can i solve this??

well at least i have acces now, and wifi!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Jonathan Moerman wrote:
I ssh'd to the device via wifi but Xorg says this:

DISPLAY=:0.0 xinput_calibrator -v
selected device is not a touchscreen I understand

How can i solve this??

well at least i have acces now, and wifi!

I had the same problem today. didn't solve it, but after the desktop was launched (past gdm-login) xinput_calibrator works.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

the libts-bin in maverik might work for the configuring, i tried, everything with the touch, the device is seen as a mouse with debian libraries, the only way to get the touch to work, requires a loss of dhcp at reboot, or to update to the 2.6.37-2+ kernel and use the rc.local from the ubuntu_root.tar.xz and uncomment natty. then ubdate to ubuntu, if someone does know how to get it without using ubuntu-prts please come to the floor, i don't like the uneeded stuff that that distro comes with, and even after its slimmed down, unity is still there... there is no real way to get the device to its potential using ubuntu/unity and besides that wouldnt be debian correct?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

you could also try the packages from kevin's instructions, and use sid/wheezy repositories and his instructions may work, im trying to get my device off the charger without shutdowns, as that is a more pertinent issue to me

some package names may help:
libts-dev
xserver-xorg-input-tslib
libts-bin
tsconf
xinput-calibrate?(only in ubuntu/natty or higher) ubuntu corrupts the install and effects the next reboot
also you may want to use the dpkg command from an earlier post by me that stops dpkg from updating the kernel related items, unless you plan to update the kernel, i used it on my mosix cluster, and it still works
also if the repo's update
apt-cache search tslib
oh and dont uncomment all the repositories at the same time or you will crash the cache

:| i see a couple people are getting other things working, i think i'll look into the ts issues as well, if i remeber, the X gets broken, and only Xorg works after that, also look inside the gold image, it has some useful info, it started as the original, i just wanted to see if it would update and it did, but broke udev, so i got it to boot with the meebo kernel
the problem is that the newer udev is for 2.6.35 or higher kernels, the other issue is im using legacy *boot-ordering and the sysvint wants to install
* legacy boot-ordering(see here - see why)
http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2008/fosdem/ogg_theora/384x288/Reordering_the_Debian_boot_sequence_for_correctness_and_speed___Petter_Reinholdtsen.ogg

Last edited by penguinrepair on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.