Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Andriod Tablet section, but...

Has anyone tried creating Android apps with the SDK windows installer pack or with any of the other OS platforms?

Just wanted to hear some feedback, wondering if the SDK sofware comes with logical "blocked" program code that can be used or incorporated into a project. (Mostly to avoid having to re-invent the wheel, so-to-speak) :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i've been developing with the android sdk for the past month and its quite nice. The API provides classes for most common widgets and task. Hell it was easy enough that I wrote a working music player in a weekend.

http://gonemadmusicplayer.blogspot.com/ ... er-in.html

granted I've been programming for a long time but I was completely new to the SDK/android development before that weekend. I'm not sure what you mean by "blocked" code tho. The OS is open source so you can take a look at pretty much any of the code.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

gonemad wrote:
i've been developing with the android sdk for the past month and its quite nice. The API provides classes for most common widgets and task. Hell it was easy enough that I wrote a working music player in a weekend.

granted I've been programming for a long time but I was completely new to the SDK/android development before that weekend. I'm not sure what you mean by "blocked" code tho. The OS is open source so you can take a look at pretty much any of the code.

Nice program at your blogspot; and you did it in a weekend! You are truly gifted to pick this up so quickly.

I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty and this might be a little more than I can chew on, as I haven't programmed in many years since taking Turbo Pascal and C (not object oriented C) in my engineering college courses. (I think I had more fun writing programs in my old HP48sx programmable calculator than I did for those classes.)

I came across this "Google App Inventor" but it doesn't allow you to generate the source code (hence for educational purposes). It appears that Java is used and this was kind of what I was inquiring about, regarding pre-coded blocks of programming:

http://android-java.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... entor.html

I think before I consider installing/using the Google Android SDK, maybe I need to take a class in Object Oriented C (C++) programming to refresh my memory and get back into practice.

Thanks for replying and good luck with making successful, profitable apps.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

eddie32818 wrote:
gonemad wrote:

Nice program at your blogspot; and you did it in a weekend! You are truly gifted to pick this up so quickly.

I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty and this might be a little more than I can chew on, as I haven't programmed in many years since taking Turbo Pascal and C (not object oriented C) in my engineering college courses. (I think I had more fun writing programs in my old HP48sx programmable calculator than I did for those classes.)

I came across this "Google App Inventor" but it doesn't allow you to generate the source code (hence for educational purposes). It appears that Java is used and this was kind of what I was inquiring about, regarding pre-coded blocks of programming:

http://android-java.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... entor.html

I think before I consider installing/using the Google Android SDK, maybe I need to take a class in Object Oriented C (C++) programming to refresh my memory and get back into practice.

Thanks for replying and good luck with making successful, profitable apps.

ahh i see.. in the SDK you can generate the user interfaces via a kind of similar tool. It really just generates an xml file which is used to build the UI. I'd recommend taking a java course instead of c++ Majority of the android code is java (you can code in c++ and do "native code" but that is much more advanced and not too necessary)