Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:31 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Ok!!! So first up... I'm not a developer.. just an enthusiast who has some familiarity with Technology.. so pardon my inane assumptions:

I was wondering whats taking devs so long to port Froyo to A5IT - People commitment aside since on forums like CM, XDA and Modaco you see custom ROM's by hundreds of numbers for different models. I thought that maybe non familiarity with the issues to be resolved for the TI OMAP 3440 + DSP platform (Chips on our A5A) could be one such reason. It is with this thinking I started searching out for words like 'Android Porting' and 'Froyo for TI OMAP 3440' etc.

I came across some good articles (high level for me though) and some forums like TI's own forum with some hints .. until I came across these.

Android Porting Guide to Beagle Board (http://labs.embinux.org/index.php/Andro ... agle_Board)

More searching later I learnt Beagle Board is a board computer essentially similar to our A5A (ARM Cortex A8 base + DSP n all)

Code:
Product Details (for the original BeagleBoard

The USB-powered BeagleBoard is a low-cost, fan-less single board computer that unleashes laptop-like performance and expandability without the bulk, expense, or noise of typical desktop machines.
OMAP3530 processor highlights:

Over 1,200 Dhrystone MIPS using the superscalar ARM Cortex-A8 with highly accurate branch prediction and 256KB L2 cache running at up to 600MHz
    OpenGL┬® ES 2.0 capable 2D/3D graphics accelerator capable of rendering 10 million polygons per second
    HD video capable TMS320C64x+ DSP for versatile signal processing at up to 430MHz
    USB power via complete chip-set with minimal additional power-consuming logic

Expansion capability and power options to satisfy your imagination:

DVI-D for connecting digital computer monitors
    Compatibility with a huge collection of USB peripherals including hubs, keyboards, mice, WiFi, Bluetooth, web cameras, and much more
    MMC+/SD/SDIO interface for memory or wireless connectivity
    S-Video out for connecting your NTSC or PAL television or wearable visor
    Stereo audio in and out for a microphone and headphones or speakers
    Power via typical USB chargers for cell phones from your laptop, from an automobile adapter, from batteries, or even from a solar backpack

Given at the above link is the - Android-Eclair porting guide to BeagleBoard (http://labs.embinux.org/index.php/Andro ... eagleBoard) essentially an Eclair version for a platform similar to ours and it got me thinking if it would be less work to take this and adapt it to our A5A???

Experts... Devs.. can you pls check this possibility.

Rgds
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Ok; you're not a dev, but at least you try to document yourself as much as you can; thats nice.

Sadly, this project as been known for a very long time now in OpenAOS, dont worry.
In fact, we've been much more interested in the Rowboat project; which is cousin;

Anyway; to me, FroYo has already been successfully ported to the A5IT; we just dont have DSP support!
(And a couple other "trivial" things like accelerometer..) ;-)

That's where Rowboat could have been handy; but there's still hope; I know of at least one dev still commited to it for the A5IT..

..Those things could be solved in not-that-much time if we had any manpower. But we dont really.

Thus. W.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:56 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

do you have a basic guide which talks about setting up a development env and compiling the build to create the basic images files along with the do's dont's etc. If you can point me in the right direction (or just share some links to read) maybe I can check and see if I can do something to the best of my capability.

There is a new fw release for A5IT which gives all some hope but I'd rather not wait and do my own stuff in whatever free time I get.

Rgds
Sandy