Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I apologize for spawning too many topics, but I hoped more people would see this if I asked the question directly.

Did anyone got sound working in Angstrom on A5 IMT outside MPlayer and Quasar? Using gstreamer in particular?

I have fought with this setup for so long that it gets really frustrating to be stumped on the most trivial Linux problem: no sound... I have installed gstreamer and most plugins I could see as related, but still nothing happens. That is:

- if I try to use OSS, it seems to work... That is when I use gst-launch audiotestsrc ! osssink no error is thrown, the correct stream is sent out, etc... The only problem is that nothing can be heard, beside an occassional "pop" of the speaker/headphone.
- Alsa reports that that it cannot found the device '' (i.e. empty string). aplay -l reports that no soundcards are present (although lsmod reports correct one). Could it be related to the fact that I don't see either /dev/snd or /dev/sound?
- Pulseaudio claims the device is blocked, as if another program is using the card. Don't know what to do with that, either.
- ESD just reports a generic error.

Please tell me that someone has managed to get around that! I am so close to what I wanted to do...

If I, by miracle, manage to get gstreamer play any sounds, there is still a question of configuring the default sink. I can install gstreamer-properties, but cannot use it, as it complains about "No D-BUS daemon running". I did not find any info how can I configure gstreamer in any other way...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, it seems it is nearly impossible to run Gstreamer on that hardware:

http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble ... 66622.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:59 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Why do you want to listen to UPnP shared music over Angstrom so bad?

Isnt doing it on Android/Donut enough for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've got Archos 5 IMT, which does not have Android at all... And since I've got my Android phone, it is barely used. On the other hand, I need a new UPnP player in my house, so I thought I would put Archos to a good use.

Archos itself can see UPnP shares, but does not report as renderer, so it cannot be controlled from outside, and the location it should be in would make using the interface very uncomfortable (not to mention it was not very convenient from the start).

So I've spent so many hours on this that if they were paid I could buy four players :) But I don't mind, I've learned quite a bit in the process...