Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Moving /data to /storage
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey, so this is my first post, not sure if it's in the right place, and also not sure if anyone else has already attempted this or taken care of this problem in some other way (i.e. possibly editing the firmware file before flashing it? Changing partition sizes?) - I can't seem to find any posts on it if any of you have.

Anyway, I kept running out of disk space on the system storage...which made gmail stop downloading my email, not to mention I can't download more apps...so I set out to fix it. Started by rooting it, then rooting it with the second method (thanks guys :)), and inspired by the second rooting method by Shotokan (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=36576) I've got it displaying 8+GB of system storage, my email downloads, apps run fine, I can install from apks, but I can't install anything from the android market - they'll begin downloading and then just vanish. I'm guessing it has something to do with the folder permissions and not being able to change those on /storage, which someone mentioned elsewhere, but I'm not entirely sure, and I'm pretty new to this stuff. So as it stands, this is somewhat helpful if you're like me and don't change your apps much and just want your email to keep downloading...but could be better.

Anyway, what I have so far is quite simple to do. To get the initial setup:

Code:
mkdir /storage/rootdata/
cp -r /data/* /storage/rootdata/
mount --bind /storage/rootdata /data

And on every reboot, you have to mount it again. Been trying to find a way to automate that as well, but of course that seems to requires editing some of the read only data....which could be done by mounting it from somewhere else, but then you've gotta redo that on reboot, so that doesn't really help :) Could make an app that starts on boot though I'd imagine. I've never done any Android coding, but it might be worth looking into for this and the other root method.

Also, bit of an afterthought, and a hassle to do this, but I may also look into the possibility of wiping apps from the original /data partition, installing new apps, and then merging those into the /storage/rootdata/ folder ....if you get what I'm saying. Much of that could also be automated though if it works.

I'll update this thread if I make any progress on any of this, but let me know if any of you have any other ideas or if this has already been taken care of by someone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Waiting patiently for your app to auto-mount increased space :) .

Maybe if you can create an app like Shotokan's RootTool that would be awesome.

Here is his source.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hah, yea I have his app installed...it doesn't work for me though. Always force closes as soon as I try to open it.

I have a script to do it already...never programmed anything mobile though, not really looking forward to it...though from what I've heard it's basically Java, which I've done a fair bit of, so shouldn't be too terrible I guess.

Unfortunately, I haven't made any further progress on this. In fact, it seems to be moving backwards. I've now noticed that some apps aren't working properly when I mount it - no clue why. I swear they were working before. May have something to do with the fact that I've since added Angstrom and the OpenAOS build to this, not entirely sure. Also haven't gotten the app store working, and I tried installing apps on the regular /data and moving the changes over, but that didn't seem to work out either - I can't figure out how to get the icons to even appear on the main menu. Tried killing and restarting the UI and such, no luck...I'm pretty sure the data is stored in /data/system/packages.xml, but changing that file doesn't seem to do much. My thought is that it's loaded into RAM or something as soon as the Archos boots, and you need to do something special to get it to reload it...or it could just be a permissions issue, who knows.

If anyone else tries this and gets any results at all, let me know. I'm going to keep working on it, see if I can make any progress...