Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: debian on a5it?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

usb Ethernet doesn't work in combination with my laptop, is it alright as I use wifi??

and I saw this while installing:
P: Writing resolv.conf
so resolv.conf is copied to early

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Jonathan Moerman wrote:
usb Ethernet doesn't work in combination with my laptop, is it alright as I use wifi??

and I saw this while installing:
P: Writing resolv.conf
so resolv.conf is copied to early

see the update to the post, i hookup a 50$ netbook to my wifi boot into debian, connect the device to power, and network through usb cable using a "tried and true method"
1. connect devices to power
2. connect the "host" to the internet (anyway you want to ex: wifi, ethernet, bluetooth, radio, cellular, xray... it doesn't matter)
3. configure the SDE to connect via (usb0/usb-networking/cdc-device/usbgadget) as seen here:
http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Debian#Enab ... ernetonSDE
3a. or configure it to gain an address via udhcp with the scripts provided with the instructions
3b. plug usb to the host and configure the new networking device to "share the connection"
4. start the connection on the device ifdown usb0, ifusb0 and it should work as long as your interfaces and resolve.conf are edited for dhcp and a nameserver that works properly
5. ping the subnet to find it or if you did everything as i said the touch should function and you can enter enlightement and get the ip from
*as soon as the sde connects to the internet via wifi you will break the ssh/chroot pipe,
*so the answer is no
now from the device you should be able to get a response by pinging your favorite address

Last edited by penguinrepair on Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It sees usb0 but fails connecting to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Jonathan Moerman wrote:
It sees usb0 but fails connecting to it.

you need to locate the device on the subnet

ifconfig usb0
you will see the inet : (example)10.42.43.1
now the address for the 'vice could be 10.42.43.2 ---> 10.42.43.99 the good thing is debian tends to remember
leases on reboot unlike other systems so once you have the address it will stay active for a bit
i created a script that includes all 99 that looks for ssh(port 22) on the subnet and when it finds it i login
the funny thing is i'm still learning that this is just a pocket pc and not a powerhouse desktop and things are fragile until its up and fully setup, the device is in an installation state and by no means user friendly, you can use the touch interface once it is setup, and the terminal works, and it connects, what this provides is a good starting point to progress with, once the desk starts your options are endless, except onto the abilities of the device
there are more modules and how-to's for the old kernel and when the image gets corrupt, (battery-dies shuts down)
i get frustrated. again, this is proof that it works on both kernels, but don't expect too much from a botched install,
as i have seen, many do-overs, and alot of time spent on what packages work with what hardware

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried with ssh to log in:

192.168.0.200 doesn't accept my password. (usb0)
192.168.1.107 does. (wifi)
169.254.9.78 does accept it too (usb0:avahi)
can i use usb0:avahi?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:32 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Jonathan Moerman wrote:
I tried with ssh to log in:

192.168.0.200 doesn't accept my password. (usb0)
192.168.1.107 does. (wifi)
169.254.9.78 does accept it too (usb0:avahi)
can i use usb0:avahi?

ask yourself
did you set a root passwd?(or just a user passwd) from the root-terminal? do you have any other usb network?
if you have a terminal inside the a5it stop and restart the network un g_ether by issuing

ifdown usb0 then ifup usb0 and it should reconnect

the laptop needs to be connected to the internet unless you have a dhcp-server running on your laptop(doubtful)
the device will never get an ip from dhcp, (see requirements)
*the 169.244.X.X is what i call an "automatic didn't connect address"
wifi needs to be offline on the a5it and the connection should be piped directly through dhcp(data corruption, and unreliable download to the device)
if 192.168.0.200 is what you set static and it accepts the password you set, then i guess you are taking the static route, (good luck) as for i couldn't get a reliable connection with a static connection, to my netbook, besides, i like the "auto-connect" feature since the a5it is the only cdc/usb0 adapter that plugs into it.
* if you log in and type hostname and followed my instructions it should come back with archos5it as a response
when you log in check the network like the instructions say, no internet=no install
*the avahi-daemon is for windos/samba users i dont use it and usually disable and/or remove it for performance
its a waste of cpuclocks and ram for me, and uses an abundant amount of both... sorry I cant answer that question.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Beautiful language screen.... that's all what i have to say.

just calibrating now and I'm ready.

edit: usb ethernet still not working (password) and can't configure the touchscreen

I couldn't have done it without you and your guide penguinrepair, thanks! =D> =D>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

best of luck, it's very minimal, and very unstable, once inside, to recalibrate use the menu at the top left, inside enlightement and it will automagically update on an x restart

now that you got a working image (that took some time) i'd suggest that you back it up to the pc, it takes a while... but its worth it
edit->
password is the password that you used in the chroot make sure you are:
Code:

#to find the ip of the device a good reference to start with would be the address of usb0 that the host with the shared connection has.
#getting the correct ip is truely a shot in the dark on a 10 based network there is 99 ip's to ping and it aint fun
ssh [email protected]<device ip>

*if you still have issues with password swap the images chroot back into the debimage from the sde and change the password and try again... swap the image back and powerup.

Last edited by penguinrepair on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I' ve made a backup already, the touchscreen isn't responding at all, is this due it isn't callibrated or are some modules not loaded?
Also is it possible to connect an usb keyboard?

I will erase my root password to see if that helps with ssh....
( the password does work... only not with usb0, I don't know if the connection works or not...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Jonathan Moerman wrote:
I' ve made a backup already, the touchscreen isn't responding at all, is this due it isn't callibrated or are some modules not loaded?
Also is it possible to connect an usb keyboard?
I will erase my root password to see if that helps with ssh....

do not erase the passwd, set a new password
the xinput-calibrate from natty?
the tslib from ?
the xserver-xorg is from?
Successful Debian on a 5it? Post your questions here...
......>>>>>>>>http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=54484
or pm me
you can try a mouse/keyboard i haven't yet...
from the pc ssh'ed into the device
make sure the /etc/pointercal file and the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-touchcal.conf exist
depending on the output from xerver if it recognizes the device as a touch or a mouse or not at all
make sure you are configurind the right device cat /dev/input/device* 0-4 and touch the screen, you will see output and should be able to configure x accordingly if it is a tslib issue the touch will act like a mouse if the framebuffer has an issue you have no screen
* i think getting a bluetooth connection working may be easier there is a hardware lock that prevents a keyboard and a g_ether connection at the same time?
or if you already have a wifi connection connect to a router and get the device ip there and try to ssh through your network, i dont know what packages work yet, and im still not sure which device you have up and running

=D> i will have a list of packages once its up and running, if i have time i'll upload the image

Last edited by penguinrepair on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:13 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

look another way to install :) http://open-nandra.com/2009/03/how-to-s ... velopment/

use this in combination with live-boot, i think device will do native, anybody up to scripting a new init?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:31 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

:!: big update found the trick to getting xinput and calibration on my a5it-8g and calibrate inside the os

i need to test once more and i will post new instructions

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:56 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ok, slept, tested again, the new instructions work well, as i thought the wifi works, and the touch is fine, the completed image needs a little fine-tuning and you will be up and running, i tried to keep it as small as possible in the limited time that i had. to get wifi, you need to use the old way, if someone wants they can just script it, also to get a connection inside enlightenment wicd works well.

:?: openaos multiboot works with it, just wish i didn't get "function not implimented" when i try to mount the swap partitions, to get by this i just use the sde and mount there, it works but requires extra steps, im still reading sources and piecing things together, who knows.

if someone at openaos or multiroot users knows of a "2.6.27-omap1" kernel/initramfs that will multiboot and have physical swap without errors please fill me in, for now, i'm trying to rebuild from the sources that i have...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

to make battery status show, you might want to look at this: http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/PowerManagementIntegration

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:32 am 
Archos User
Archos User

thank you, this was sent via wifi in debian, and im out and about running on the battery. i will look the battery meter may not work but the device is Awsome without the bloat...
its gonna take some work, ill try, things are a "little different", that looks like the 1.1 stuff, /sys/devices/system/archos-battery/archos-battery0/battery0_charge_level is where i have been, i am having luck with the ping_atmega, 4 hours off charge, a meter would definately be a plus... debian's acpi crashes the unit for some reason, fails to boot after install, but apmd install fine. id probaably be a little farther ahead if i could find "atmega-io.h"
i think i found it in "bubu's" trunk thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

currently working: on multiboot(arch,wmod,deb) krenel/debian, sucessful swapfile, firefox/iceweasel gnome/onboard, vlc, gnash, sw, i'll post the image as soon as i "slim it down" and fix permissions
"TS aka smokkku, where do i send the beer?"
Quote:
[email protected]:~# DISPLAY=:0.0 glxgears
183 frames in 5.0 seconds = 36.544 FPS
186 frames in 5.0 seconds = 37.032 FPS
^X187 frames in 5.0 seconds = 37.356 FPS
[email protected]:~# DISPLAY=:0.0 glxheads
glxheads: exercise multiple GLX connections (any key = exit)
Usage:
glxheads xdisplayname ...
Example:
glxheads :0 mars:0 venus:1
Name: :0.0
Display: 0x26008
Window: 0x1c00002
Context: 0x3dca0
GL_VERSION: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3
GL_VENDOR: Mesa Project
GL_RENDERER: Software Rasterizer

yes glx running too

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
GL_VERSION: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3
GL_VENDOR: Mesa Project
GL_RENDERER: Software Rasterizer

now... not really impressive or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:09 am 
Archos User
Archos User

well the fact that gl in debian is working, and once i get the correct sources for the 2.6.27 kernel, maybe a pvr solution will get me happy... but this is a different topic... ;)
also wish i could get "time in a bottle", but that ain't happening either...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

With Hello And Thanks to my Friends : :)
My Device (Archos 5 IT 32Gb) Work in debian with LXDE GUI by this forum helps and dear penguinrepair
.WIFI Is work but other things with little Problem . 1- my sound not work in other os (android 1.6 , 2.1 and angstrom) and now not working in debian . i have not snd-soc-tda19989.ko
file in android/lib/module folder .is it main problem in sound ? please send me this file and list of modules in android lib folder .
2 - how find a way to work bluetooth and gps in debian ? ( with android modules )
3 - right click not working properly . I think it`s mouse sensitivity problem because one time work and ten time not work :lol: (and change sensitive (xset m) not work ) .thanks . 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:27 am 
Archos User
Archos User

floyd_cansil wrote:
With Hello And Thanks to my Friends : :)
My Device (Archos 5 IT 32Gb) Work in debian with LXDE GUI by this forum helps and dear penguinrepair
.WIFI Is work but other things with little Problem . 1- my sound not work in other os (android 1.6 , 2.1 and angstrom) and now not working in debian . i have not snd-soc-tda19989.ko
file in android/lib/module folder .is it main problem in sound ? please send me this file and list of modules in android lib folder .
2 - how find a way to work bluetooth and gps in debian ? ( with android modules )
3 - right click not working properly . I think it`s mouse sensitivity problem because one time work and ten time not work :lol: (and change sensitive (xset m) not work ) .thanks . 8)

i've had very good luck with the android modules, you gentlemen look to be getting things working farther than i have, i still have yet to get my logitec keyboard and mouse working, ive been using x11vnc for configuring the interface with no problems, wifi is plus, touch is working, snd-soc-archos has been segfaulting, and gps driver doesn't compile... it says i have bluetooth, but ive tried g-bluetooth, kde-bluetooth, bluez, blueprobe, still doesnt see my motorola-rokrs :) i got poor video quality, omaplfb/pvr crashing, and am looking into getting the vid_out module a test as soon as i get my hdmi/composite cables back.
as far as missing modules, check your original rom that you downloaded from archos, tda19989.ko is nowhere on any of my drives or backups, so i don't know where you may find it for the sde kernel, good luck...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next