Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: debian on a5it?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

unknown wrote:
Can you post a how-to and a package list? I am interested in e17 desktop.

Also...

- you can't use gen8 modules.
- look at nicktimes changes for ubuntu to get atmega right
- if you need modules and you don't build them from source, just extract "/lib/modules/2.6.37+" from nicktimes ubuntu to your debian image.
- you don't need tiwlan script because 2.6.37+ wifi works "out of the box" if also copy "/lib/firmware" to debian.
- pvr works too in 2.6.37+ but I don't recall the binarys to copy right now, but in debian the omap3 xserver should do fine for now.

umm..
Code:
apt-get install e17 e16 e16-data e16keyedit e16menuedit2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

http://meego.openaos.org/images/archos_ ... ade.tar.gz

(on 2.6.37+ kernel)

make sure you have /usr/sbin/ping_atmega.sh in debian, check permissions.

and this line in rc.local
Code:
/usr/sbin/ping_atmega.sh &

no more shutdowns, you'll see.

Thanks 4 e17 packages.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:54 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you again penguinrepair :D
please send a link of your rootsf.img and zimage , initramfs.coip.gz which you use and take screenshot from debian .
i can`t repair it . i read Booting ARM Linux websit and ten webpage about embedded linux but take no result. #-o
i unpake zimage and hex edit and repake and hundred work like that but ... :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

i installed the sde and duplicated the image inside my pc
and placed the duplicate on the android /media/archos/debian.img
booted back into the sde "as root" gained dhcp through editing /etc/network/interfaces and resolv.conf
on my host i shared the network and connected to the interned
i then logged in to the archos through ssh and formatted the image then resized it to 2g
then followed the instructions @ dev.openaos.org/wiki/debian
you need to see the ftp site for the current cdebootstrap i think its .7 now
after it completed i copied modules resolv.conf interfaces hosts to the image
then mounted the system and prepared a chroot jail and logged in
i made sure to set password, made sure the dhcpserver worked "dhcp3-client"
then rebooted i added ports.ubuntu.com to get the virtual-keeboard "onboard" then disabled it
after the reboot an logging in i set up xserver and users
rebooted again into the recovery and e2fsck' the image from my host pc to settle out the image
Code:
sudo e2fsck -fvDy /media/ARCHOS5/debian.img
and rechecked the room available
many other things i did but xserver was the last thing i was worried about, i, like not having a window manager and running the e17 package
the initial kernel the aufs kernel by bubu and edited for a2fs
and the initial initramfs is the multiboot from openaos
the kernels and initramfs to get the gui are 2.6.37-2+ "after doing this android wont work
if you need to go back refash from recovery and start over
again many thanks to "TS" smokku...
to debug i mostly use qemu
and if it matters my host machine is
debian sid/wheezy 6.0
Linux 2.6.39-1.dmz.2-liquorix-686 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 10 06:49:50 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
so i guess if you are using something else... you know the drill...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

and now my debian image is currently 6G and my 16G microSD is partitioned to 2 1G swaps and 5G storage and 5G /usr/src i deleted the original swapfile that i used for setup, and am working on a kernel that will run "tuxracer" and see the gps as a joystick

i have a working debian wheezy/sid image that uses the mg 7/37 init/zimage

nodm/e17 working "pvr faulting*"
*INFO: inconsistent lock state
2.6.37.2+ #120
inconsistent {IN-HARDIRQ-W} -> {HARDIRQ-ON-W} usage.
kworker/u:0/5 [HC0[0]:SC0[0]:HE1:SE1] takes:
(&(&ts->lock)->rlock){?.....}, at: [<c01f75d4>] tsc_tx_wait+0x14/0x48
{IN-HARDIRQ-W} state was registered at:
[<c0088ea4>] __lock_acquire+0x5ec/0x17f0.....

vlc and alsamixer working with "snd-soc-archos"
xcalibrate and onboard from ubuntu-ports installed
wifi not "right"
online with g_cdc via dhcp through a shared connection

:arrow: pm me for a link or more info

Last edited by penguinrepair on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

:!: there is an update to this setup later in the section :!:
back up your device everything on sda is gonna go away..
preliminaries:
my unit is an archos 5it 7501 8G with android and had issues with connections from day one
i currently own 3 of these devices 1 is development i is parts(i needed a screen) and 1 is factory archos and i love the thing. i dont recommend doing any of this to a good unit concidering you may brick your device
and/or cause irreversable damage to the unit.
i also use the dvr station alot, the dev unit spends most of its time there and i vnc into it with tightvnc
it multiboots angstrom, debian, and ubuntu, angstrom has been a friend of mine since i was developing with zug and openzaurus, just wish the project didn't stop, last real update was 2009
with that said...

how to's:
http://www.fuschlberger.net/programs/ss ... root-jail/
http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/index.en.html
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DHCP/
http://http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking
"look-out you may learn somethin'..."
flash the latest firmware:
2.0.45 is the one ive had success with
charge the unit full charge
then boot into android and mount the unit as mmc
copy the latest firmware to the root of the unit we're gonna flash again
rename the firmware firmware_archos5.aas
power the unit off
power on the unit holding vol up until the first boot splash disappears
and the unit will do the rest
(if it asks to reset now DO IT, when you get into android you need to flash again)
power off the unit, then boot into recovery select repair disk, ignore it and power off by holding power button for 15secs.
power up and go back into recovery and repair disk and put the developer firmware on the root of the device let it complete and reboot into recovery
select developer edition and then flash zimage and initramfs
mount it on the host then mount rootfs.img on the host and copy the modules for the 2.6.37 kernel to the image and also copy the boot directory to rootfs.img
edit /etc/hosts /etc/network/interfaces /etc/rc.local* /etc/resolv.conf /etc/fstab
copy the meego kernel 2.6.37-2 kernel and image to the root of the unit
unmount the image and the unit
wait for the flash and reboot into angstrom
you should be able to log in via ssh connection
if you set up the host to share the connection and set the unit for dhcp follow the
debootstrap install and wait for it to complete
otherwise you need to set up a local install copy the setup to a sdcard
while waitng i log into another console and edit /mnt_data/menu.lst and add debian to the menu
after the install be sure to complete all the "changes-made"
chroot into /mnt/debian
create a password
and update-rc.d
reboot into debian
ssh into the install
then apt-get the packages you need

Last edited by penguinrepair on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hello penguinrepair :D
I working with your discription and link about chroot jail and porting Debian . dear penguinrepair !!! thank you very much :D
one question :why flash orginal firware again and again? my device has 2.0.45 firmware and SDE (angstrom) installed.should flash SDE firmware again ? is it making new files when recovery repair it?
and ... my debian image which make with debootstap in angstrom can`t boot and black screen appear.what`s worng?
please continuance your discriptions. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

you need to set up xserver and make sure you have the correct modules installed
ssh into the device and install xserver and a virtual keyboard
e17 is the easiest way it has a built in keyboard also set up a user and add it to the sudoers list
if your running gnome temporarily add ubuntu-ports and install onboard
once in a ssh console you have full control
ssh [email protected]<device ip>

*note: if you set the device for dhcp you will need to ping the subnet that the device is on to find it*
in linux you will be notified if the device sucessfully connects,
i dont use windows so im not sure what it will do.
the subnet if inet is 192.168.X.X ma be 10.42.X.X check with ifconfig usb0 on the pc to be sure,
"i wrote a rough script that does it for me and i have no intention on sharing it"

if you configure the host to share the connection you can set up with apt and even update to sid/wheezy
xservers xorg.conf was the file i needed to edit
Code:
 Section "Module"
        Load    "tslib"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
       Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
       Driver          "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier "Touch"
       Driver "tslib"
       Option "TslibDevice"    "/dev/input/event2"
EndSection

also install "hal(seems to mess with pvr but corrects touch issues)" xserver-xorg-tslib from natty or sid wheezy or xserver-xorg-video-omap3*/xserver-xorg-video-omapfb(pick your poison) from ubuntu-ports to get xcalibrate from ubuntu-ports to function correctly
i have a base that boots with nicktimes 2.37.2+ and smoku's modules e17 and nodm/gdm installed using "dependancy boot" i havent tried to run it on the 2.26-10-omap kernel
the device seems stable with nicktimes kernel streamed 96k on vlc for 20hrs
and is properly using ssd swappartition, i may hack the kernel to share 36M for shared video
*im currently using the omap3 which is NEON optimized seems ok i got k mahjongg :D in and toppler(no keyboard, just prrof of concept)

Last edited by penguinrepair on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
:why flash orginal firware again and again?

when working with flash it's always best to start with a clean slate and also battery issues
seem to be a problem with embedded devices, i go with "what works" then build from there
if i gotta "do it over" i wipe the slate and start from scratch, i found that the sde doesn't play well with
a reflash and the filesystem tends to double up and report the wrong disk usage, thats why i reverted back to
an image instead of a folder on sda1 i can recheck and modify the image alot easier than the device

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

bump.

Last edited by penguinrepair on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hello
i working hard in it . please say little easy man !!!! :lol:
and a little details and step by step . thanks .
set up xserver(how) ? - correct modules (2.6.27-35-37-??) ? - e17 ? pvr ?
one question :
ssh to which system ? 1-sde(angstrom) terminal ? 2-chroot debian with mounted image in /mnt/debian ? 3-ssh to debian when booted system and coming up ? or ... and how DOTO ? i can ssh to archos SDE terminal with usb0 ip address but ...
and my debian when boot up not has psplash bootup why ? thank you for your replay . :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:06 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
up xserver(how) ? - correct modules

one question : :? :)
Quote:
(2.6.27-35-37-??) ? - e17 ? pvr ?

the 2.26.27-omap1 modules are located inside the /lib/modules/ directory of rootfs.img
and the 2.6.37-2+ modules can be either built from sources see here
http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Gen7Resources
*smoku has left the information you will need inside the changes-made.tar.gz, these changes are designed for an ubuntu install and will not work unless upstart is installed, but note the changes, and you may see how it works, i cant get his wifi driver to work, i have a very secure wifi network and was difficult to set up with android and doesn't always work there either maybe you may get it to work...

e17 is an alternative to a window manager like gnome/kde and it has an onscreen keyboard that works
very well once xorg/x/xserver are running no stuttering (if you install gnome you will see what i mean)
modules/firmware are needed to boot your system
"if the kernel doesn't have instructions she wont do anything"
*2.26.27 kernel requires 2.26.27 modules
*2.26.37 kernel requires 2.26.37 modules
and yes you can extract them from the ubuntu_root tar and get it up and running
but its not too stable
Quote:
ssh to which system ? 1-sde(angstrom) terminal ? 2-chroot debian with mounted image in /mnt/debian ? 3-ssh to debian when booted system and coming up ? or ... and how DOTO ? i can ssh to archos SDE terminal with usb0 ip address but

yes ssh into a booted angstrom img, then install debian per instructions @
dev.openaos.org/wiki/Debian

if you decide dhcp add this to /etc/rc.local in the debian image make sure to check permissions
Code:
rmmod musb_hdrc&
modprobe musb_hdrc mode_default=2&
modprobe g_ether&
ifup usb0&
dhclient usb0&

it will connect and you will be able to login * ping the subnet to find it
(the screen will be black the pc will notify you)
example:

[email protected]:/:ssh [email protected]
password: <the password you chose during the install>

chroot into the the debian image and install your programs,
(you can get xserver to function by installing xserver-xorg-video-fbdev)
*make sure you have room on the image
you have to set up networking inside chroot before you can ssh into debian
once network is setup reboot into the image and connect
to set up xserver, use xserver-video-omapfb from sid/wheezy (it seems to be working well)
Quote:

these packages can then be installed but you need a working xserver first
Quote:
and my debian when boot up not has psplash bootup why ?

psplash* is part of angstrom
*i usually disable this in my rootfs as i dont like it id rather see what's broken so i can fix it
:arrow: floyd_cansil
??? are you trying to install this on a 5it -8g a5s board with android ???
...if not this process may not work, i do not own a different unit,
so therefore i may not be able to help due to the fact that i cant test a different device
****note: i've also stopped using the 2.37* kernel and have reverted to the 2.26* kernel(i need to build an app for a friend with android) so all answers will be from memory ssh and debian gcc python and other tools work with the 2.26 kernel i haven't been able to get swap or touch to work, yet wifi and bluetooth do, i vnc, ssh, sftp, and start x and run all my apps remotely, yes its debian, no its not user friendly...*****

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:45 am 
Archos User
Archos User

:!: new instructions carbon copy of the "Suc.de.inst.?" post
:arrow: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=54484
these work but not the way i like, new way much nicer, no ubuntu, very fast, even running with factory stuff

TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event2 ts_calibrate to calibrate from a terminal ssh or from inside e17

if you want a heads up i start the cdebroot-static with squeeze
then install all the needed xserver and tslibs from sid and its clean

the ubuntu repository breaks the network connection, so if you have no input, you have no system...
i am working with a big enough partition on my sdcard mounted to /usr/src

please note: debootstrap is depreciated way to install to your device and there is easier ways to do what this does

this is for testing and setup to get a functional image to start from and build, and is no way user friendly.

most of what "i" do with this image is develop, i add a complier, ssh into the device and develop, if you figure out what to do from there good, as far as i guess, hardware differs from device to device too much to be a full and usable system. I

f you intend to use this setup, great, best of luck, buid from it, its a great tool as for the device makes a great machine with plenty of speed to work with.

This will create a bootable image that uses the original kernel or any (2.6.27-omap1) kernel that i know of and it also has the option to upgrade to the openAOS multiroot but you lose the swap
see here for more info: http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen7

Yes all the tricks to get wifi will work also. I am working on an oe-kernel init package to possibly gain multi-boot,
considering it is fairly easy enough if you use the openAOS tools.

The instructions need to be followed precisely, and you can and will connect on reboot, I don' t have a "gates" machine and my hardware functions properly, network on the pc needs to be routed correctly, and I don't recommend "too much" input into the "SDE", nor do I recommend setting up wifi the unit is full root and will be wide open to exploits.

If need be, boot from a live-cd or pen-drive linux and setup from there, gnome-network manager is very easy to configure, and If your hardware is the issue, get a different machine.

*Again, this is an initial setup and by no means a full install i use this guide to get the device up and running, it will get debian installed and ready for setup for image creation. If you have hardware or network issues, seek a different thread, as this is not my thread.

Again, if something doesn't work open a new thread and ask a question. "I have noted that a few times", pm me if you have issues with this setup, or the image that I have spent ALOT of time building, and i hope you enjoy it.

I use this as reference to setup, and as I learn new things, will either update or make note, and that is it, any farther than that will require a new thread.

I am very sorry and hope that "li8w8" has no problems with the thread he started.
There are many other ways to install debian on the device, and this method is depreciated, again this is for "advanced linux" operators only, if you have issues in this area, and don't understand debian, these instructions are not for you seek a different avenue .

*** Thank You:
lew8w8, unknown, Johnathan, and all the sites, listed in this "instruct"

Questions comments? If i don' t answer put it here..
v v v v v v
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=54484
(all the info here has been a modified version of another tutorial)
(using info from Kevin's original here >>> http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Debian)

Important!
:!: If your device does not connect to your pc and get an ip via udhcp inside the sde don't bother continuing
:!: If you dont know what i said in the last sentences STOP now!

Continue, at Your, yes, Your own risk!
1. Boot the device into Recovery and select Repair Disk

2. Back up your device
Code:
# from the host pc
mkdir -p ~/archos-backup
cp -axv /media/ARCHOS5/* ~/archos-backup/

(skip this step and goto step 4 and use the archos way but you need to have a bootable image to install to)
(if you have run this script and followed it correctly and have a corrupt install,"dont format the wrong image"
renaming rootfs.img -> debian.img rootfs.original -> rootfs.img and format the debian.img and skip to 7.)
3. Unmount it and format the internal drive
Code:
# from the host pc
sudo fdisk -l
mount
# you will see what device is the a5it and where its mounted
# note the output to find the device

umount /media/ARCHOS5/
sudo mke2fs /dev/sdXX -j -L ARCHOS5

4. When the format completes, unplug the device, then reconnect, then copy the sde to the device, then unmount it safely. The SDE, instructions and warnings about it are here. htttp://www.archos.com/support/support_ ... dates.html
Code:
# from the host pc
# i am assuming that /home/<username>/Downloads/firmware_archos5.aos is the SDE
# your location may be different
sudo cp -axv ~/Downloads/firmware_archos5.aos /media/ARCHOS5/
sync
umount /media/ARCHOS5/

5. Select done, and wait for the update successful. Then, hold the powerbutton until the device powers off,
disconnect the usb, power back up into recovery, and select Repair Disk again.

5a. Connect the device and copy the zipped rootfs.img found on the internal drive to your home folder
(we are gonna make room for debian), unzip it so we can format and resize it, format the image, create a 2G empty file in tempand add some empty space to the image then resize to a little over 2G.
Code:
# from the host pc
sudo cp -axv /media/ARCHOS5/rootfs.img.gz ~/.
cd ~
gunzip rootfs.img.gz
sudo mke2fs -j rootfs.img
# dd is a very powerful tool and should be used with caution verify what you are doing before you use it
# it is optional either go with a larger or smaller image try to leave room so you can "play"
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/empty bs=1G count=2
sudo cat /tmp/empty >> rootfs.img
rm /tmp/empty
sudo resize2fs rootfs.img 2G
# 2G is a confortable start, you can also mount more images/resize/endless, thats why i love linux,
# how much depends on your knowledge and needs currently my usr/src directory is 120G (mounted usb)
# and my device is only an a5it-8g-with-andrd
# when these instructions are up i want to see if wifi really works, and if i can get bt and alsa functioning

6. Copy the image back to the device with a new name, sync, unmount safely.
Code:
# from the host pc
# this next step takes a while...
sudo cp -axv rootfs.img /media/ARCHOS5/debian.img
sync
umount /media/ARCHOS5/

7. Select done and then select no (hold the powerbutton for10 secs)to power down
power up and wait for the sde to setup
8. Create a user and a password, select your language, set your time and zones, keys and buttons, and user access, logout then login as usual
9. Select other -> root-shell, set a password for root and enable usb network, edit /etc/networking/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf, disconnect the usb form the pc and establish a connection to the internet with the pc.
Code:
# again if you cannot gain an address from udhcp using usb g_ether this is NOT going to work for you
# from root-shell on the a5it
passwd
# enable network
rmmod musb_hdrc
modprobe musb_hdrc mode_default=2
modprobe g_ether
# if you get an error No such Device (as i did) unplug and plug in the usb
# edit /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto usb0
iface usb0 inet dhcp
# comment out anything you dont use
# edit /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

10. Connect to your pc and share the connection, then restart the connection and test internet.
(*note the ip that udhcp aquires you will need it in the next step)
Code:
# from the root-shell inside the sde
ifdown usb0
ifup usb0
ping google.com

11. If you successfully connected ssh into the unit from your pc, accept the key and enter the password you created earlier
Code:
# from the host machine connected to the internet
ssh [email protected]<*ip that udhcp aquired>

12. Make an install directory and mount the image, create a couple directories and copy the kernel, modules, and firmware over to the image, and copy networking configs hostname and fstab to the image
Code:
# from the host machine inside the sde via ssh
mkdir -p /mnt/debian
mount -o loop /mnt_data/debian.img /mnt/debian
mkdir -p /mnt/debian/boot
mkdir -p /mnt/debian/lib/modules
mkdir -p /mnt/debian/lib/firmware
cp -r /boot/* /mnt/debian/boot/
cp -r /lib/modules/* /mnt/debian/lib/modules/
cp -r /lib/firmware/* /mnt/debian/lib/firmware/
mkdir -p /mnt/debian/etc/network
cp -r /etc/network/interfaces /mnt/debian/etc/network/
cp -r /etc/hostname /mnt/debian/etc/
cp -r /etc/fstab /mnt/debian/etc/
cp -r /etc/modules /mnt/debian/etc/

13. Download cdebootstrap-static from debian.org, extract and install, start the install, move root into home(i like home to be home) and create a symlink to /, create your "jail" and login,
Code:
wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/cdebootstrap/cdebootstrap-static_0.5.7_armel.deb
ar -x cdebootstrap-static_0.5.7_armel.deb data.tar.gz
tar -xz -C / -f data.tar.gz
rm data.tar.gz cdebootstrap-static_0.5.7_armel.deb
# next step installs debian with a couple things we need
cdebootstrap-static --flavour=minimal --allow-unauthenticated --include=dhcp3-client,ifupdown,procps,netbase,vim-tiny,module-init-tools,wget,openssh-server,apmd,dialog,man-db,apt-utils squeeze /mnt/debian/ http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
# if you have enough room back up the image if you wish now... it is 2G but can be shrunk/compressed

mount -t proc proc /mnt/debian/proc
mount -t devpts devpts /mnt/debian/dev/pts
# thank you Jonathan Moerman
# i think it's ok again
cp -r /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/debian/etc/
ln -s /proc/mounts /mnt/debian/etc/mtab
chroot /mnt/debian /bin/bash
# from the host machine inside the sde via ssh chrooted into debian
# create move home to /home(optional) and create a password
mv /root /home/root
ln -sf /home/root /root
passwd root

14. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add the repo's that we are going to need for the install
Code:
## note: only uncomment during future steps - VERY IMPORTANT - if udev gets installed it will corrupt your install
## debian squeeze on archos 5it
# deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
# deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
###using ubuntu-ports breaks the rc.local script if you enable them you need a different way to interface
## deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports natty main universe multiverse restricted
## deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports natty main universe multiverse restricted
## note: only uncomment during future steps - VERY IMPORTANT - if udev gets installed it will corrupt your install

14. Create atmega pinger and make it executable
Code:
cat > /usr/sbin/ping_atmega <<__END__
#!/bin/sh
##/usr/sbin/ping_atmega

while true; do
   head -c 4 /dev/atmg > /dev/null
   sleep 60
done
__END__
chmod +x /usr/sbin/ping_atmega

15. Edit /etc/rc.local and make it look like the following
Code:
#!/bin/sh -e
# rc.local

modprobe musb_hdrc
/usr/sbin/ping_atmega.sh &

rmmod musb_hdrc
modprobe musb_hdrc mode_default=2
modprobe g_ether

/sbin/ifdown usb0 &
sleep 3
/sbin/dhclient usb0 &
/sbin/ifup usb0 dhcp &

exit 0

16. Then we need to wake up the network, install the locales, and install some packages.
for this step we need to uncomment sid to install locales
Code:
echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 nameserver 8.8.4.4 > /etc/resolv.conf
### changes made 7-6
# for this step we need to uncomment sid to install locales from /etc/apt/sources.list as explained earlier
# libc-bin libc6 are going to be updated
apt-get update
apt-get install locales
# edit /etc/locale.gen and uncomment your needed locales
locale-gen
[code]
[/code]
# 117 new & libstdc++6 gets upgraded
apt-get install nodm libfs6 libglu1-mesa libpng12-0 libts-0.0-0 libts-bin tsconf x11-apps x11-session-utils x11-xfs-utils xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-scalable xorg xorg-docs-core xserver-xorg-input-tslib
# i selected USA (just a guess the device keyboard is invisable)
# script edits /etc/default/nodm and change autostart from false to true
# root should auto start nodm and enlightement
# edit /etc/default/nodm and change autostart from false to true root will auto start nodm, and enlightement
# you can't enable a user at this time you need root privelages to get things working inside then create a user after the install
apt-get update
apt-get install e17
# 87 new installs and liblocale-gettext-perl libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl perl-base get upgraded
# unless you have another interface idea
# time to lie to x and create calibration files
cat >  /etc/pointercal<<__END__
793 0 -95501 0 508 -116804 3830
__END__
# i don't think this next file is necessary, but if you want to update to ubuntu it makes your life a little easier
mkdir -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
cat >  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-touchcal.conf<<__END__
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "calibration"
        MatchProduct    "ADS2008 Touchscreen"
        Option  "Calibration"   "117 3929 217 3854"
EndSection
__END__

# edit /etc/apt/sources.list and comment out sid and uncomment squeeze
# this should get nodm to start on next reboot
pkill gpe
apt-get update
apt-get remove nodm
apt-get install nodm
# Kevin's scripts were removed, if you want them see here -> http://dev.openaos/wiki/Debian

# (make sure squeeze is the only repo enabled)
apt-get --yes --purge remove cdebootstrap-helper-rc.d
apt-get update
# exit the "jail" unmount everything and reboot
exit
umount /mnt/debian/dev/pts
umount /mnt/debian/sys
umount /mnt/debian/proc
rm -rf /mnt/debian/etc/mtab
sync
umount /mnt/debian
sync
reboot & exit

18. Make sure the device restarts, login and logout/shutdown using the menu, then reboot into recovery select repair drive and mount it to your pc.
...ok take a deep breath we're almost there
:!: good time to back up the image to your pc... :!:
Code:
# from the host pc and the a5it boooted to recovery/repairdisk
sudo mv /media/ARCHOS5/rootfs.img /media/ARCHOS5/rootfs.original
sudo mv /media/ARCHOS5/debian.img /media/ARCHOS5/rootfs.img
sync
umount /media/ARCHOS5/

* Keep the pc connected select done, select no, hold power 10 secs, power back into recovery select no and the device (should)reboot as normal, wait for it.... the screen will flash and then you will see the language screen
the pc should already be connected,

###if nodm fails to start establish a connection and install nodm from squeeze

we're done with the install

every thing from here down is just notations

connection. From the pc, ping the subnet that the usb is on to find the device, then ssh into it using the password you created during installation (*if your internet is 192.168.1.X then the subnet is probably 10.42.43.X. The first 3 sets will be the same as the ip you used earlier to log into the sde)
***example: ssh [email protected]?
*** if your touch works open xterm from the menu and ipconfig
# test your touch at this time to see if it works at this step if not continue

(the device should auto-connect and keep its dhcp lease)
on the pc do the following to calibrate the screen(if needed)
# from the host pc sshed into debian install
calibration from a terminal(or xterm inside enlightenment as root)
DISPLAY=:0.0 TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event2 ts_calibrate
# confirmed updates pointercal, restart enlightment/X to see changes

:D yes love the fact that i have debian and that it's working well

****also further note, if for some reason the device does not start x or the filesysem gets "fragged" then
restart into recovery rename the rootfs.img back to debian.img and rootfs.original back to rootfs.img and the sde will boot as it did before, and you can chroot into debian, and make repairs or edits there. reverse the images again to see if the repairs worked and start debian back up.
****or set up you device the old way you had it....
****problems? pm me, and let some other successors have the floor...
****there may be someone else with an idea for "debian on an it?"

Last edited by penguinrepair on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:16 am, edited 52 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

All rc.d operations denied by policy
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.

xcalibrator is not found too

is this a problem, could you upload a image somewhere??

I really want to have this but It doesn't boot (openaos logo)...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

xinput_calibrator can be installed by temporally enabling ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports natty main multiverse universe restricted and accepting that its not authenticated
xserver-xorg-input-tslib can be installed from ftp.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
after doing this you need to comment out both of these repositories and renable ftp.debian.org/debian squeeze
main contrib nonfree
then update
im currently working on a program in debian/squeeze as soon as i am done ill see if i can create a small enough image to upload the only image i have at this moment is 724M compressed and it only functions with 2.6.37 kernel due to being sid/wheezy and having the updated udev the device also needs to be plugged in it will shut down and the fix did not work with it(see previous posts) and i haven't been able to upload due to a poor internet connection due to bad weather as soon as its uploaded ill have a link

Last edited by penguinrepair on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

penguinrepair wrote:
xinput_calibrator can be installed by temporally enabling ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports natty main multiverse universe restricted and accepting that its not authenticated
xserver-xorg-input-tslib can be installed from ftp.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
after doing this you need to comment out both of these repositories and renable ftp.debian.org/debian squeeze
main contrib nonfree
then update
im currently working on a program in debian/squeeze as soon as i am done ill see if i can create a small enough image to upload the only image i have at this moment is 724M compressed and i haven't been able to upload due to a poor internet connection due to bad weather

I did it according to your guide.... (I included the modules as well (which wasn't in the guide))
but it didn't work.... (the hdd keeps spinning longer than other images so i think something works this time)

If you upload the img when you have the time and if your internet connection is good, I would be very happy.

(It is the best guide for getting debian working I've seen so far, Well done)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Jonathan Moerman wrote:

I did it according to your guide.... (I included the modules as well (which wasn't in the guide))
but it didn't work.... (the hdd keeps spinning longer than other images so i think something works this time)

If you upload the img when you have the time and if your internet connection is good, I would be very happy.

try adding the kevin's g_ether script and restart without the usb connected
wait a few seconds then connect to the pc
make sure that you have edited the /etc/network/interfaces properly and have deleted any "ghost adapters"
you also can use the static settings posted here dev.openaos.org/wiki;Debian to log in

it will not get past openaos bootscreen untill you get the framebuffer working you should be able to connect and log in via ssh

ie: iinstall xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
this has to be done via ssh to a running setup
i do not have a hd device my device is a ssd 8g
i cant wait to get the 500g
*note
All rc.d operations denied by policy
is because of legacy bootordering
and squeeze doesn't seem to notice that you are chrooted
*also if you have added kevin's g_ether script it is not compatible due to runlevels
disable it with the command
update-rc.d g_ether disable
and if insserv is still in place update atmega script accordingly
update-rc.d-innserv atmega enable
update-rc.d atmega start
update-rc-d atmega defaults

# edit 6-8 removed link to images way too buggy... read on, gold image too much work to get going correctly
easier to upgrade from silver
here: as promised: the image that it created
have fun http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K97PGF1K

Last edited by penguinrepair on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thank you =D>
i will send errors ! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:36 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
thank you, i will send errors !

see earlier posts, this is just an image that runs and doesnt boot with android, i use it as a backup
things that fail
device WILL power off if not on its cradle
doesn't do pvr
is a raw image that has been minimized and compressed so it needs extraction and resized...
things that it can do
mount ssd ran with 2g swap partition 1gswap/1gswap/10gext4 on a class4 microsd
works with wifi as described on some older posts but no dhcp and has to be started after its running(needs work)
it is a barebone setup that is functional and has a keyboard
it does upgrade and will run 6.0 sid/wheezy with the newer kernel but you lose the ability to run android
it will also upgrade to ubuntu provided you import gpg keys (i went as far as a full ubuntustudio-desktop with
this image)
have fun...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:49 am 
Archos User
Archos User

:D i updated the instructions, tested twice this time... confirmed an image that boots, has swap on the microsd, touch and calibration, full keyboard via enlightenment, autoconnects to a shared connection on a pc via dhcp3-client, after install and apt-autoclean 25% usage(470M) of a 2.1G image, :D

now i want to see what the device will do... there is a few things that i think will work considering that it uses the original sde kernel and init, there is plenty of avenues to work with, my goal is to get back to programming

i haven't tried yet but this will probably work to get wifi
http://www.openaos.org/archives/152
disregarding the ipk stuff and worry just about the driver

enjoy it was fun

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next