It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: debian on a5it?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Debian

here we have an howto =)

but i always get stuck @reboot! after having done all using angstrom and ssh i just get a blank screen after having selected debian from bootmenu!
it shows openaos logo for few seconds and then only black screen but the backlight is on!

i did everything as described but i changed to bootstrap-static .7 from 0.6 as this isnt available!
and using next version lower than .6 didnt solve my problem!

i already have bubus newest zimage and initram image on my a5it!

free space is around 3 gb with 1,5gb image file on internal storage

please someone help me getting debian to run!

thanks

for menu file i took angstrom line and replaced name and image!

i have one with |0 (doesnt get behing openaos logo) |1 gets to black screen and one without |1 |2 same as with |1!

Post subject: Re: debian on a5it?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Someone is working on debian for gen6, should be easy to get that working for gen7. (sans the hardware specific bits)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
I followed the OPENAOS instructions to the letter. Took ages. Really.
Anyway, it was all for nothing. Did everything right. Never booted up. I just wondering, has ANYONE every installed a proper debian
on their A5IT (gen 7)? Even booted to desktop or just commandline? Sure, I could serial debug, learn that too, post all the logs... But before I start, is it more that theoretically possible... HAVE YOU DEBIAN-ED?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ringsending wrote:
I just wondering, has ANYONE every installed a proper debian
on their A5IT (gen 7)? Even booted to desktop or just commandline? Sure, I could serial debug, learn that too, post all the logs... But before I start, is it more that theoretically possible... HAVE YOU DEBIAN-ED?

Yes there are people who did and all of them used either the USB-serial-emulation or native UART console to get there.

Unless you'd compile the kernel with framebuffer-console there would be no screen output anyway to the LCD. I wouldn't try though. People who did reported it was not working properly. Besides, why? We made g_serial work super easy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the confirmation! I was feeling a little alone.

Where do you think the instructions from openAOS are incomplete?
Are there simple steps, obvious snags once you start debugging? Tips.
I've never done anything of the sort before so I don't know what I am talking about,
nor do I completely understand your (very prompt and interesting) answer.
One last quick question, just say I plug on and get a debian (icewm) desktop up and running, is there wifi support and,
more generally, hardware support? (is it worth the trouble beyond the pleasure of tinkering with a nice device?)

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The guide mentioned in the first post uses g_ether and ssh login to get access to the Angstrom installation and run a debootstrap directly on the device.

I seem to remember there was an easier way to debootstrap on an x86 system and then just copy over the resulting image.

In the end once you start booting your debian image you'll need to make sure that you use a debug enabled initramfs see here and that /etc/inittab binds a getty to /dev/ttyGS0. (See my openAOS blogpost on this topic). Then you can just use minicom, picocom, screen or under windows hyperterm or putty to connect to the virtual serial port that gets created once you connect by USB.

If you have specific questions feel free to also pop by on IRC. Currently I'm only online during evenings though (local timezone is EET).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the debug initframs and tried to bind the getty's
But intstead of ttyGS0, ttyGS1 and ttyGS2, they appear as ttyACM0 ttyACM1 ttyACM2.
ttyACM0 is nothing
ttyACM1 is openAOS-init
ttyACM2 is a log.

Is this normal?

I can't give commands to the device and I don't have a working usb ethernet.

What must i do?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

im currently working in a debian image for the (a5s board), alias archos5it, alias 7501, to clarify, currently running install under qemu, inside ubuntu, trrying to take notes, alot of time due to insomnia, so far the build is like watching paint dry, im excited to see if this works or not, love the device, multiboot a2sd not functioning too my liking, so ive decided to try debian/sid seeing it run so well on my atoms, and falling into the dream with my old(broken-screen) zaurus, decided to upgrade, no dvr dock yet, a spare screen and motherboard for debugging, has enticed me, soon will have the dock(about a week away) anyone with interest please comment, im welcome for info or insight, i want my ipkg/apkg/qpkg and fwvm back, plus ive found linux support for a few cell modems, and the need for high quality video, this screen is awsome for graphic design in a small scale, future plans to merge ubuntu-nonfree xcrack and elegant-gnome sources to see iss-comple...

http://www.deviantart.com/download/2069 ... 3f7nhf.png

the initial cdebootstrap (fail) see instructions @ http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Debian
the updated cdebootstrap-static is cdebootstrap-static_0.5.7_armel.deb

Last edited by penguinrepair on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Good luck!

Debian on the 5it would be great: easily installing the packages I want or at least an xfce desktop environment in which I can compile stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

dvr dock is here, found uart, now the fun part, getting, intrepid/sid, to recognize the touchscreen, powerbotton works, also sees when its charging, just battery levels are incorrect(may unsolder the battery for safe measure), for some reason usb is not working as planned, not able to access the port, possible permissions wrong, gonna try new users and uuids, thanks to openAOS for a wonderful job on kernel dev to get this started

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

please see viewtopic.php?f=47&t=53349
This is where i got stuck...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ok, i have a full deb/development environment and i want to natively recompile a kernel ie:just for debian, openaos sources seem to fail during bitbake? are there any "native" sources/patches available for the archos5it/a5s/7501-8 gig... available, current distros are:

host- Linux lx-120-devilstab 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Tue Mar 8 21:36:00 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux - debian 6
a5s- Linux archos5it 2.6.27-10omap1 #1 Sun Feb 27 09:13:09 EST 2011 armv71 unknown - openaos/sde
a5s- building debian/squeeze - matchbox/lxde/xfce4
a5s/debianbuild- linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/ linux-headers-2.6.32-5-iop32x/ linux-kbuild-2.6.32/ "unless someone has a better idea"

my current images are versatile... i want native...

a source/patch/kernel repository that works with the archos5it/a5s would greatly be appreciated...

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

nicktime ported 2.6.37.2 native for a5it, its not complete yet but quite nice. http://gitorious.org/archos-linux/ you should have seen this when visiting openaos.org.

update: for debian you might take a look at nicktime's ubuntu images and his changes. http://meego.openaos.org/images/archos_gen7/37/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hello all :D
I can booting debian with lxde GUI in archos 5 it (with debian rootfs.img gen8) BUT BUT BUT it is very bad to work . have many error and ...
touch screen is not calibrated . X and Y is changed in touch screen . if open one page , page and lxpanel flikering and page going down and go out of screen . cpu level behine clock is full working and after one miunets system restared.what is wrong ? thanks :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

inside directory /etc "pointercal" should be the same and you need to create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory
inside this directory create a 99-calibration.conf file

Code:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "calibration"
        MatchProduct    "ADS2008 Touchscreen"
        Option  "Calibration"   "117 3929 217 3854"
EndSection

"thank you smoku"

the values change check your avo-arch install : /system/etc/calibration and compare, these values work for me

also: to get apt from loading a new kernel
Code:
echo "kernel-image-2.37.2+ hold" | dpkg --set-selections

also much more peppy if you disable avahi-daemon if you dont use it, and remove all the autostarts that you dont use
like orca, evolution, i removed nm-manager since it doesn't work
with the wimax driver, i use wicd for the ip features in the gui.

http://chevyastro.webs.com/image/Screenshot-1.png
http://chevyastro.webs.com/image/Screenshot.png
http://chevyastro.webs.com/image/Screenshot22222.png
:) ^^^^^^^^^^^
i'm looking for a working source repository for the a5it
" kernel-2.6.27.10-omap1 "
i want to see if i can get kexec to work and also enable swap and ext4 any help would be appreciated

Last edited by penguinrepair on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How did you made it work???
the gen8 rootfs uses a different kernel..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:52 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

i used the meego 2.27-10-omap1 kernel for install then flashed the 2.37.2+ kernel and
chrooted into the device per instructions on the wiki http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Debian you also need some modules from the gen 8
g_cdc especially and you need to create an init that will enable both modules at start, i started with the SDE install created
an image inside chrooted created a passwd, and when i was done i copied it all to a directory in /sda1/Debian booted to a blank screen
now its operational, verry buggy, doesn't see the atmg correctly, but touch is working and went as far as a full ubuntustudio
install through adding ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports too slow, still looking for a working wifi setup, the ti-load script is not compatible
with the 2.37.2+ kernel and pvr hangs and crashes
http://chevyastro.webs.com/image/240309 ... 3950_o.jpg
http://chevyastro.webs.com/image/241728 ... 4732_o.jpg
http://chevyastro.webs.com/image/242358 ... 0018_o.jpg
http://chevyastro.webs.com/image/257175 ... 8736_o.jpg
http://chevyastro.webs.com/image/266283 ... 8140_o.jpg
and also once the 2.37.2+ kernel is loaded in its solely a debian/ubuntu device
if you wanna play droid you need a sde kernel, from rootfs.img:/boot/zImage-2.27-10-omap1 and a openaos/sde initramfs.cpio.gz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can you post a how-to and a package list? I am interested in e17 desktop.

Also...

- you can't use gen8 modules.
- look at nicktimes changes for ubuntu to get atmega right
- if you need modules and you don't build them from source, just extract "/lib/modules/2.6.37+" from nicktimes ubuntu to your debian image.
- you don't need tiwlan script because 2.6.37+ wifi works "out of the box" if also copy "/lib/firmware" to debian.
- pvr works too in 2.6.37+ but I don't recall the binarys to copy right now, but in debian the omap3 xserver should do fine for now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thank you penguinrepair , thanks , thanks to reply =D>
but i can`t repair debian with lxde GUI . with meego zimage and initramfs.cipo.gz ( 2.37.2). i have touchscreen with little calibrate error. but page fliker and going down is existent , my page has`t min ,max and close in top and restart after one min :doubt: . please help me .again thanks... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ive extracted the modules from the ubuntu image... still have issues with shutdown, i think its an issue with a missing softlink for libc.so.6, seems better now
Code:
ln -s /lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libc.so.6 /lib/libc.so.6