Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I want to try setting up the dual boot on my Archos A5IT and have a few questions. I have built myself a dual booting machine with Umbuntu and Windows XP so I got a work area. I am not a Linux user but being a network admin I think I can get around it. So I guess I am ready to get this going but need to figure out how it's done as easily as possible. I see files to do this being pointed to all over the place and a bunch of Linux commands to run but nothing straight forward. I looked at the openAOS site but the last thing listed there indicates an older firmware is needed to do this.

Where can I find good instructions? These threads are so confusing, wish we had one dedicated to dual booting the A5IT only.

Can it be done with the current firmware? I sure hope so but guess I can downgrade.

Does this require some great Linux skills to get this done?

Any help with this would be appreciated. Any bashing would not be. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

*waveshandmysteriously* This doesn't seem to be what you're looking for right now.

More seriously, the instructions need some improvement, yes. Foremost they need to be transferred to the wiki, but they won't get much easier for now.

• The kernel needed by 2.0.x firmware that supports SGX/EGL 3D doesn't play nice with all the other software that dual boots. (e.g. the boot-menu goes black and you have to know which entry is where)
  • 1.9.x firmware runs fine with the initial boot-menu kernel
  • There is not so much that would be interesting for less skilled users so far. If there would be we'd have kicked up the priority of making things easier a notch. It is already on our list.
  • This is mainly for developers and they tend to know their way around such hardware.