Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

After waiting almost a week, somebody finally stepped forward to help test out the .aos dualboot installation. Thanks Kirk. So here it is, the no-brainer dualboot installation instructions:

1) Install a patched firmware from archos.g3nius.org (see http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _DTI_Games). It doesn't matter which version you are running, as long as you are running a patched firmware.
2) Download the dualboot installation file here: http://www.openaos.org/downloads/beta/f ... alboot.zip
3) Extract firmware_archos5-7_dualboot.aos and rename to firmware_archos5-7.aos. Copy to the root of the Data partition.
4) Either install from AVOS or boot into the Recovery menu (hold Vol+ during initial power-on) and install from there.

Your Archos device will reboot after installation and the boot menu should come allowing you to select either AVOS or openAOS Angstrom Linux. The first time you boot Angstrom will take a little longer as it is unzipping the rootfs image. This is running kevin's latest image (rev_199) and whatever AVOS you are running at time of install.

That's it! Welcome to the world of dualbooting and openAOS. Thanks go out to kevin_ and all the work he's put into this, as well as the rest of the openAOS team.

*edit - Changed download to .zip. Included notices for GPL software.

Last edited by CheBuzz on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

This is really slick and very painless. Thanks to everyone involved in putting this together!

=D>

My hope is that an automated build can be setup so Kevin's latest builds can be published without any manual work from anyone. I'm not sure if this is possible, but a guy can dream right?

Only thing to add is that your bootsplash will be replaced by the SDE one by doing this update.

FYI Kevin's image says WEP is not supported in Wifi configuration. I found that to be true for the GUI config. However I manually created my wpa_supplicant and simply replaced the one in /etc/, then the wireless was able to be enabled just fine via Archos Helper.

Love the virtual keyboard improvements too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:36 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Great work CheBuzz!!! And Kevin!!! And the OPENAOS team!!! Superb job
Just wanted to add that please use the patched SDE and not the original SDE. Will add this to my site's tutorial :)
Great work guys :)
I am having trouble connecting to my wifi. It has MAC filtering on and have added Archos's MAC address to the allow list. WPA2 AES encription. Will add a screenshot once I am done with charging the unit.
Just wanted to say that Kevin's latest build199 is stable and I am LOVING IT :)

EDIT: sorry about the Patched SDE comment. Forget what ever I said about the patched SDE in this post.
Just a question to CheBuzz, have you integrated the patched SDE or the original SDE in your aos? Because I used the patched SDE and still I have my DRM keys

EDIT2 Got the wifi running, the Archos Helper really useful.

Last edited by nokiae50 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:37 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This uses the bootloader of the patched SDE. No reason to lock yourself out of your own harddrive. If demand is high, I can remove the part that flashes the boot image.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:54 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Great work. This makes the process totally painless.

Cheers
Zac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This AOS file rocks. It worked seamlessly. Thanks to all for the hard work!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:08 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I think I just pee'd myself a little. o.0

You guys are wicked. :) Great job on this dual boot, and the dual boot installation file. :)
Just have to get use to squinting now. lol ;)

Man, can't wait til I see a build of Android for the A5. :D

`

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Finally got the wifi running. Disabled the MAC filtering and the changed my encription from AES to TKIP. Looks like my Archos AVOS MAC address and the SDE MAC address are not the same. Anyways now that I got the wifi running I am enjoying it. Web browsing experience is better than the OPERA browser. Installed Pidgin, wonderful. I got only Gmail, IRC and something else. How can I add yahoo and others?
Excellent work by openAOS team, especially Kevin. =D>

EDIT What a dumb fellow am I. Already posted here about the Mac addrss http://dev.openaos.org/ticket/29

Last edited by nokiae50 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nokiae50 wrote:
Finally got the wifi running. Disabled the MAC filtering and the changed my encription from AES to TKIP. Looks like my Archos AVOS MAC address and the SDE MAC address are not the same.

Guess what, you could have found out earlier: http://dev.openaos.org/ticket/29 ;)

One of those things we really really need to fix before we can consider calling this "ready for Joe User".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

dm8tbr wrote:
nokiae50 wrote:
Finally got the wifi running. Disabled the MAC filtering and the changed my encription from AES to TKIP. Looks like my Archos AVOS MAC address and the SDE MAC address are not the same.

Guess what, you could have found out earlier: http://dev.openaos.org/ticket/29 ;)

One of those things we really really need to fix before we can consider calling this "ready for Joe User".

:shock: Oh very sorry, had been to that webpage after I rectified my problem. Now I know that most of the bugs etc. have been posted there. All I would like to say is that, GREAT idea of setting up that webpage :)
Also realised that openAOS and Archos G3nius are working together. Awesome :) :D =D>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Just decided to give up on DRM keys and install the dual-boot AOS. So far, I find it quite responsive and usable. Although having an Archos 5, small buttons are evil >_<

Hmm... I see lots of possibilities for this thing now.

Thanks CheBuzz!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have a question.
How can I change the countdown timer on the boot screen? 10sec. is too long for me and I wanted to change it to 5 sec.

Also, can we look forward to an improved dualboot screen? I mean, I love the commodore 64 look, but some bigger high-res icons would be nice to see as well. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Spz0 wrote:
I have a question.
How can I change the countdown timer on the boot screen? 10sec. is too long for me and I wanted to change it to 5 sec.

For now this is not configurable, but feel free to put an low priority enhancement ticket into our trac system.
workaround: just tap the desired item twice, instant boot. :)

Spz0 wrote:
Also, can we look forward to an improved dualboot screen? I mean, I love the commodore 64 look, but some bigger high-res icons would be nice to see as well. ;)

This is kind of on our own long-term wish-list. If we get an kexec enabled kernel working we'll redo the boot menu or use the oe/angstrom one which is kexec based. This would at the same time enable us to get rid of the ramdisk we need to create to be able to run AVOS.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just flashed my A5 with this. But when I load OpenAOS it freezes at the loading screen right towards the end of the progress bar. I thought that it was just taking a while because it had to unzip the filesystem but I waited 30 mins and it was still frozen. It does the same thing every time I try to use it. I reflashed and its the same. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

paranoidandroid wrote:
I just flashed my A5 with this. But when I load OpenAOS it freezes at the loading screen right towards the end of the progress bar. I thought that it was just taking a while because it had to unzip the filesystem but I waited 30 mins and it was still frozen.

The unpacking happens earlier in the initrd, right after the menu. The screen is black at that time.

Maybe something went wrong with your rootfs image? do you have enough space? try downloading kevin's latest image manually.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dm8tbr wrote:
Maybe something went wrong with your rootfs image? do you have enough space? try downloading kevin's latest image manually.

I have 24gb free, should be plenty of space. I will try the latest image.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:39 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Many thanks, updated with ease even for an amateur like myself?

I have read the notes above regarding Wifi and clicked on the links, but it doesnt mean a lot to me. Am i correct in thinking i need to make the changes to my MAC address on my router (netgear in my case).

..and another daft question, When in Angstrom how do i get the virtual keyboard up?

I would appreciate your comments :)

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

siddys wrote:
Am i correct in thinking i need to make the changes to my MAC address on my router (netgear in my case).

You need to add the mac address that the wifi chip will have when booting into angstrom. If you modify the existing one you will lock your self out of using wifi when running AVOS.
siddys wrote:
..and another daft question, When in Angstrom how do i get the virtual keyboard up?

it's in the bottom left corner, right of the menu. For further info Angstrom should have documentation on its website (at least I hope it has).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

dm8tbr wrote:
it's in the bottom left corner, right of the menu. For further info Angstrom should have documentation on its website (at least I hope it has).

Thanks for the Wifi Info

No keyboard button?, there is just the (arrow up) menu button in the bottom left. I have has a look on Angstrom website but with no joy?

I click on the bar at the bottom of the screen and click 'add' but there is no option for keyboard?

I have been into settings\keys and button setup\virtual Key and clicked on a keyboard, but still nothing?

Am i missing something?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Siddys,
I had the same problem. Just click on the app launcher button (little arrow,) go to utilities, then panel, then click on "input manager."

This will add the little icon next to the app launcher.
You may have to click on the tiny arrow in the upper right hand corner of the new icon and select "transparent keyboard."
The icon should be a picture of a keyboard, and when you click it, it will toggle the virtual keyboard