It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:55 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Many thanks Ate_bit, all sorted :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:47 pm 
paranoidandroid wrote:
I just flashed my A5 with this. But when I load OpenAOS it freezes at the loading screen right towards the end of the progress bar. I thought that it was just taking a while because it had to unzip the filesystem but I waited 30 mins and it was still frozen. It does the same thing every time I try to use it. I reflashed and its the same. Any ideas?

Same thing happened to me after I had to do a hard Shutdown when Angstrom crashed on me. I fixed it by deleting the rootfs image then re-flashing my Archos with the dual-boot. Manually replacing rootfs with the latest image should work as well. Let's hope someone can identify the problem and fix it. I don't like the idea of having to wipe my Angstrom install because of a bad crash.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Removed

Last edited by siddys on Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

siddys wrote:
First please bear with i am an amateur, i could do with some assistance enabling Wifi.

Then what has this to do with the boot menu? Just open an own thread!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you for the simple .aos for dual boot, I was just being too lazy to do the instructions manually

2 questions:

Its of course made a new boot logo, I'm not too fond of it so I wish to flash my own again, with this whole dual-boot business, would flashing my own boot logo mess with any of the stuff?

and, since Angstrom has a shell on it, can I use that to flash the boot logo as opposed to the DTI games exploit?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No, since the bootlogo area of flash is locked in the init kernel using the SDE. What you would have to do is create a .aos update file for the bootlogo that you want to use, boot into recovery, copy over the .aos file and flash it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

CheBuzz wrote:
No, since the bootlogo area of flash is locked in the init kernel using the SDE. What you would have to do is create a .aos update file for the bootlogo that you want to use, boot into recovery, copy over the .aos file and flash it.

Can I use the DTI games exploit still though? (of course i know I'd need 1.6.54, but thats not a problem)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Fenriswaffles wrote:
CheBuzz wrote:

Can I use the DTI games exploit still though? (of course i know I'd need 1.6.54, but thats not a problem)

No because this is an general limitation of the SDE bootloader. It is there so you can't shoot yourself in the foot and earn an expensive paper-weight.
If you want to take the risk the recovery menu and an custom .aos file are the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

you guys seem to know yer stuffs

im a bit puzzled, first off im new to this, but not a pc noob, little i have had in the way of linux.

I was trying to mount the hidden partition earlier and it kept failing, i was getting the "wrong FS" error. i was trying to do custom firmware on my 8gig a5 and the GF hack . . . . gave up . . . . .

Then i decided to Dual linux, now i followed the instructions from http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRoot very carefully . . . and to the 'T' but the boot still failed, should i try once more from scratch or what. I completed all the steps and all i get after doing the flash is the archos screen with the hardgear flashing . . . . . it just flashes and nothing else.

any ideas, its ticking me off to no end as i started this little side project at 8pm today now its 3am and im not getting any where after 4 hours of troubleshooting. Im trying to dual the stock 1.7.7.77 firmware with the archos supplied angstrom aos . . . .

thanks fer any help, sorry if this disrupts the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:33 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

gravija wrote:
any ideas, its ticking me off to no end as i started this little side project at 8pm today now its 3am and im not getting any where after 4 hours of troubleshooting. Im trying to dual the stock 1.7.7.77 firmware with the archos supplied angstrom aos.

Are you trying to install on a Archos 5/7 IMT or Archos 5 IT (Android)? I believe the dual boot is for the Archos 5/7 IMT , whereas the firmware you note above (1.7.77) is for the A5 IT (Android)?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

[/quote] Are you trying to install on a Archos 5/7 IMT or Archos 5 IT (Android)? I believe the dual boot is for the Archos 5/7 IMT , whereas the firmware you note above (1.7.77) is for the A5 IT (Android)?[/quote]

Android model, all the links and whatnot were directed from the dual os portion of archos website. They have alot of stuff promoting the sde of linux for the android device, thats why i gave up on the GF hack. I figured it would only worked on the IMT cause it has a physical hard disk and not a ssd or whatever the android one has. Though all the info provided by the dual os scene where ever i went stated that the tutorials worked for both devices. It just depended on what firmwares were being installed. Or are all of those flurry of links just crossed enough that my info is wrong? I know how to restore my device, but i just wanted to tinker around with the linux interface since the android is so limited on features still. I got the tablet dirt cheap, i just didnt realise the headache it was to put media on it. ( 90 percent of my watched media is in .flv format, and the audio is too low when played from the android internal media player, one of my main goals was to check and see if the videolan player worked on this device LOL )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just wanted to say a big thanks to the guys responsible for this. Took mea couple of hours or so but it;s all working now 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

CheBuzz wrote:
After waiting almost a week, somebody finally stepped forward to help test out the .aos dualboot installation. Thanks Kirk. So here it is, the no-brainer dualboot installation instructions:

1) Install a patched firmware from archos.g3nius.org (see http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _DTI_Games). It doesn't matter which version you are running, as long as you are running a patched firmware.
2) Download the dualboot installation file here: http://www.openaos.org/downloads/beta/f ... alboot.zip
3) Extract firmware_archos5-7_dualboot.aos and rename to firmware_archos5-7.aos. Copy to the root of the Data partition.
4) Either install from AVOS or boot into the Recovery menu (hold Vol+ during initial power-on) and install from there.

Your Archos device will reboot after installation and the boot menu should come allowing you to select either AVOS or openAOS Angstrom Linux. The first time you boot Angstrom will take a little longer as it is unzipping the rootfs image. This is running kevin's latest image (rev_199) and whatever AVOS you are running at time of install.

That's it! Welcome to the world of dualbooting and openAOS. Thanks go out to kevin_ and all the work he's put into this, as well as the rest of the openAOS team.

*edit - Changed download to .zip. Included notices for GPL software.

Dude, you kick ass =) Thanks for this awesome awesome package.

I have a question. Can i upgrade my firmware in my Archos? I mean i have 1.6.54. Will i update my firmware or i can't?

I mean this patched firmware: http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... re_Updates

and i have got one more question. how can i change the boot picture? I mean developers edition picture. I don't like it :doubt: