Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1113 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi I could do the hack perfectly,(windows way) but I have a problem when I turn off the device plug-ins appear, I have to do step 9 and 10 again to re-appear, I hope this is not normal, please respond thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

iojanan wrote:
Hi I could do the hack perfectly,(windows way) but I have a problem when I turn off the device plug-ins appear, I have to do step 9 and 10 again to re-appear, I hope this is not normal, please respond thanks

I'm pretty sure this is normal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You can indeed repeat step 9 and 10 to enable the hack again, but if you would have read the first post carefully you only have to rename the folder jspluginsx to jsplugins and open dohack.htm from the archos filebrowser. So no need for wifi anymore.

Maurice 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can you make a video on how to do it with windows 7?. I did the 10 steps like six times and it's not working for me, the jsplugins folder never changes. Maybe if I see the hack being done I know what I'm doing wrong.

Homero713

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Icq, Windows Live, Facebook, Yahoo!
http://www.meebo.com
It's working!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello.

At first thank you all for your hard work!
I hope there is anytime a way to put Qtopia on my Archos 605 WiFi(20GB) with 2.1.04 FW, but anyway, this is not my problem.

My problem is that the jsplugins folder did not rename to jspluginsx after a restart.
At the first week or perhaps 2 weeks the hack works fine, but after this i cant enable the gft3 hack.

I think its perhaps because i make a hard shutdown.

Sometimes my archos is on, but only the green light is on, next to the power button.
Then i make a hard-shutdown, that means i press the power button until the green light is not lightning anymore, then i start archos again.

and i think....
after this procedure my archos gft3 hack is not working anymore, is that possible?
Did anyone of you know this problem with the player?

Greetings by Archy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@Archy Normally when you run the hack after you rename jspluginsx to jsplugins, the script should rename the jsplugins folder back to jspluginsx.
This is to protect the hack after a reboot. At a normal reboot or shutdown the same will happen to the jsplugins folder. If you however have a sudden shutdown (battery empty), or a crash and the jsplugins folder is not renamed. Then at startup the original jsplugins folder will be recreated and the hack is not working anymore.
BTW Qtopia is nice to play around with, but has little functionality.

Maurice :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried this hack on a 705, but it doesn't work there. Every time, I get to the point where I try to look at the files on the Archos through the Hack on network (on my pc), it won't let me, and the 705 pops up a Wifi error (tells me to tap the screen to close). Rebooting the Archos clears the Wifi error.
Archos has 2.1.0.4 firmware, cleared temp files. This same procedure worked fine on my 605.

Anyone else try a 705?

BTW, thanks for sharing this with us guys, and for all the hard work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yeah, the plugins unlock will only work on hard disk 605s, the other units have a different version of avos so archilles moldy cheese hacks to the avos binary won't work. You can still run a root script and stuff like the nes emulator though.

Sorry for people who can't get it to work, it's a little tricky to set up but afterwards it should be a trivial procedure after a hard reboot - rename the jspluginsx directory to jsplugins followed by opening opera (with a local file so no wifi needed). The main reason for it not to survive reboot would be if you did the rename and forgot to open opera before shutting the unit down.

I use the usb + minidock method to reset the hack in these rare cases, it takes seconds and is the easiest method, otherwise GFT2 is required. I have a usb stick with just 1% ext3 partition for resetting the hack, all details for creating this are in links in post #1.

Now I have to say farewell, as I won't be able to work on this further. If any hackers turn up and find have an old 605 they want to play around with then these two threads have plenty of info on cross-compilers and porting apps:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31786
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30864

I think the archos 605wifi units were pretty superb hardware devices for their time, I do understand why Archos had to limit access due to commercial reasons, but it's a shame the full potential of the devices was not realised. We need more companies like Archos to compete with the mainstream stuff like ipods and nokias, but the business world just doesn't make it easy for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks for all you have done for the 605's sideways.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does anyone tried USB Smart Link or PC-Link USB Bridge Cable or LinkPort/UE202-B to hack?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This hack has been working since near the beginning and all of the sudden my jsplugins did not rename and everything was out of whack. I reinstalled everything just like the first time and the hack won't make it past the archos content portal. It just sits at the hourglass the whole time. I tried two more times and still no luck even with deleting all the hack files all and doing them again. Next I decided to do the full reinstall through the archos unit to go back to defaults and the content portal still does not work and sits at the hourglass without the hack even installed.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

twizted25 wrote:
This hack has been working since near the beginning and all of the sudden my jsplugins did not rename and everything was out of whack. I reinstalled everything just like the first time and the hack won't make it past the archos content portal. It just sits at the hourglass the whole time. I tried two more times and still no luck even with deleting all the hack files all and doing them again. Next I decided to do the full reinstall through the archos unit to go back to defaults and the content portal still does not work and sits at the hourglass without the hack even installed.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

You could try to use the GFT2 and install arcwelder. With arcwelder you can ssh into the device and find out if there is something messed up on your linux partition.
Hope this helps. I also had sometimes troubles reenabling the hack (after playing around to much), but GFT2 always worked for me to get it fixed. Mostly there where some left behind files that didn't uninstall correctly if I tried some new things. My battery died on my 605 so I don't use it now. Maybe next month a gen7 or gen8, if I get permission from my wife :D.

Maurice :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the input.

Can I ssh from windows or would I need a Linux OS? I am also a noob without a step by step guide to even attempt this. I think it happened trying to play a video with AC3 audio and for some reason froze the device. Now content portal just wont work even with a fresh format.

Update: Going to redo firmware through repair and give that a shot.
Update 2: After a long wait with a hour glass like before it finally went through. Going to now redo the hack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:12 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You can use putty from windows for an ssh session. Below my windows guide here there is a small howto.

Maurice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After the reformat of 2.1.04 my content portal now opens, but the hack still wont work. The content portal just opens like normal even after re applying from the step by step guide which is the same one I used before to get it to work. I also tried to use SSH, but got connection refused. Most likely because the hack failed to work. The content portal use to close itself when the hack was applied, but now it just sits there like I opened it normally.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

One word that sums up what you guys did: Wow.

I've been feeling ripped off since the day after I purchased this device because I had (wrongly) assumed it would play anything I'd throw at it, and because it said "Wi-Fi" on the name, I had imagined it could browse the web.

Now it can.

Thank you.

Next step: Android. Or is this device too slow?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Lord_galathon wrote:
Next step: Android. Or is this device too slow?

Muahahaha, maybe Android 1.0 or so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello all.

First of all,

thank you all for this hack, good work!

I managed to run the GFT3 hack on my archos 605 and after that I tyied to install qtopia (http://www.openpma.org/gen4/How-TO:_Install_Qtopia).
I changed steps 6-11 to that:
connect to you device using putty (root)
run (without the quotes): "/mnt/data/openpma-ng.sh;/bin/chown -R nobody:nobody /home/nobody"

IT WORKS! but....

not everything is working (well, music, video, internet not working...)

has anyone managed to install qtopia? is there newer version?

thanks,

Udy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

dodli wrote:
has anyone managed to install qtopia? is there newer version?
qtopia is pretty much dead in the water. Trolltech got bought up by Nokia and Nokia is now pushing MeeGo which uses Qt.

I've read about a few nice game emulators that got ported to the device though. You can find it here on the open development forum.

Another problem is the limitaiton of the device, both in that you can't install your own kernel unless you are still running some ancient firmware and that the hardware isn't well suited for todays operating systems any more.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1113 Next