Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Boy, am I ever slow. I was reading a review of the Archos 5 tablet with Android, and then caught a few videos even of how Android looks and works on the Archos. I got so excited a ran over to ebay and picked up an Archos 5 Internet Tablet. Only then did the distinction dawn on me .... Archos 5 tablets come with some other custom Linux unless you specifically purchased an Archos 5 WITH Android. Oh Crap. :(

OK cool, awesome hacking community. Help an idiot like me out. How can I experience the goodness of Android on this regular Archos 5 tablet. Warranties be damned. I'm shooting for full Android if possible, but the hardware is use a 60 GB Archos 5 Internet tablet. Is it possible?

What are the drawbacks? What will I loose by leaving this Archos custom linux behind? Thank you so much for any clarification.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There are two different devices: the "Archos 5" and the "Archos 5 Internet Tablet" or "a5" and "a5it", respectively. The a5it runs Android while the a5 does not (yet). The confusion comes from the fact that originally the older a5 was marketed as "Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet". When the a5it came out the "Internet Media Tablet" part was dropped. The two devices differ in hardware, e.g. AFAIK the a5it has bluetooth, standard micro-USB connectors and there are flash-based versions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Also an important hardware difference is that the A5 IMT (gen6) does not have integrated GPS, whereas the A5IT (gen7) does.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Right. So I will be getting the A5 (IMT - gen 6). It hasn't even arrived yet. I missed the distinction by just that much. I need to slow down my tech enthusiasm (Damn that paypal account and ebay!). Anyway, I'm still looking forward to owning the device. I have enjoyed using my N810 and before that and old PALM LifeDrive. This device seems to be along the same vein.

I did not know the new Android based A5IT (gen7) has integrated GPS. Cool.

Thank you so much for the clarification on what all the model numbers mean. It's really too bad Archos does not make it possible to install Android on the older A5 IMT. I wonder why not? I can install Ubuntu 9.10 on older hardware, or even Windows 7 on computers from last year. I thought Android was free? Anyway, moaning about why vendors do stuff never helps.

I see a few other threads now on installing Andros on Gen 6 hardware, and now I know what that means :lol:

I'll be following those, so you do not need to place step by step instructions here. One way or another I hope to have the Linux I want on this cool looking device. Thanks for the clarification.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

k-teach wrote:
It's really too bad Archos does not make it possible to install Android on the older A5 IMT.

Well, Archos have published that SDE firmware that allows for user-installed alternative operating systems. This is a very new development and no usable results have been published yet but I know that there are quite a lot of people working on things. A port of android to the a5 is surely viable and I think chances are that it will eventually show up as an alternative to the archos flavour of linux originally shipped with the a5/a7.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That's great news. When was the open firmware released? Archos just moved up several notches in my book.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

k-teach wrote:
That's great news. When was the open firmware released? Archos just moved up several notches in my book.

Engadget had it on November 28:

http://i.engadget.com/2009/11/28/archos-releases-developer-edition-firmware-for-internet-tablets/

I think at that time the SDE was out a few days already. Please note that the engadget article shows the a5it rather than the a5 and has "internet tablets" in the headline. Obviously you aren't the only person confused by Archos' marketing... :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, I'm asking here because I can't seem to find my information anywhere else. Archos 7, can android be installed on it or not? Or is there a verison that has it already installed?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Dvalin21 wrote:
Ok, I'm asking here because I can't seem to find my information anywhere else. Archos 7, can android be installed on it or not? Or is there a verison that has it already installed?

No. This question has been asked dozens of times already. Android has not been build for the Archos IMT devices. Work is being done by some groups to get Android ported to the IMT, i.e. archos 5 and 7, however this is a work in progress. The platform was only recently been opened up for development so you're going to have to give us time to produce alternative operating systems for the IMT.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Any updates on this? I would really like to run Android on my gen 6 Archos 5 IMT.