Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:42 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

goonielife wrote:
Pretty new to the Archos arena, followed all the steps everything went smoothly, awesome, big thanks to everybody. The one little snag I had which was mentioned earlier was that the system would not unmount when following the downgrade and install patched firmware steps from the g3nius site. For me the problem which may be obvious to most linux users but took me a few minutes to figure out was that we change the directory to /media/disk then later do the umount /media/disk command, but you can't unmount the drive when you are in that directory it just says it is busy. So you have to cd to a different directory like / then issue the umount command to get it to unmount. Just throwing it out there in case anyone has the issue I did.

Thank you for that tip. I will update that in my site. Even I had that problem, but I too changed my directory to /media and could unmount successfully :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks Nokiae50 for the google page link
I have successfully created the profile
After that step 3
Once again remount the hidden system partition with the earlier instructions.
is it means follow step 1 completely?

After that Open console/terminal and type the followning command
sudo nautilus /media/disk

I have downgraded to 1.6.54 so that means I have to copy file rootfs.cramfs.secure from following link i.e.
http://archos-liberation-front.googleco ... _alpha.zip

Then just drag and drop the rootfs.cramfs.secure into the /media/disk

Next type the following commands

cd /
sudo sync
sudo umount /media/ARCHOS5
sudo umount /media/disk

(Then reboot the archos all the way I mean holding the power button untill you see "Switching Off Device" and restart it and your done you have a full jailbroken Archos Gen6)

Also when I tried to install patched firmware 1.7.11 it gives me error code 502 bad file.
Unpack command is not working so I just copied the file in Archos drive then clicked it is it ok?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

prajput17 wrote:
Thanks Nokiae50 for the google page link
I have successfully created the profile
After that step 3
Once again remount the hidden system partition with the earlier instructions.
is it means follow step 1 completely?

Yes. You need to follow the Step1 COMPLETELY.
But before that when you start your player you must have the Penguin logo. That means you hve installed the pre patched firmware successfully.

prajput17 wrote:
After that Open console/terminal and type the followning command

I have downgraded to 1.6.54 so that means I have to copy file rootfs.cramfs.secure from following link i.e.
http://archos-liberation-front.googleco ... _alpha.zip

Then just drag and drop the rootfs.cramfs.secure into the /media/disk

Next type the following commands

cd /
sudo sync
sudo umount /media/ARCHOS5
sudo umount /media/disk

(Then reboot the archos all the way I mean holding the power button untill you see "Switching Off Device" and restart it and your done you have a full jailbroken Archos Gen6)

yes you have to copy the rootfs.cramfs.secure file if you want 1.6.54 (but before that have the pre patched firmware installed)
If you want the GF2 i.e unlock plugins for 1.7.11 the copy this rootfs.cramfs.secure file http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt/home/rootfs.cramfs.secure?attredirects=0&d=1 (you need to be running the pre patched firmware 1.7.11 to do this)

prajput17 wrote:
Also when I tried to install patched firmware 1.7.11 it gives me error code 502 bad file.
Unpack command is not working so I just copied the file in Archos drive then clicked it is it ok?

Please rename the file to "firmware_archos5-7.aos". This didnt work for me so I did rename the file to "firmware_archos5-7.aos", then went into recovery mode, "Repair Disk", placed the patched 1.7.11 "firmware_archos5-7.aos" in the root of archos and said "Done" on the archos, and it did update

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

nokiae50, thanks for the guide. Its helpful. Please check if you can add this to your guide or correct me if i am wrong.

When i tried to downgrade from Original Archos 1.7.11 to patched 1.6.54, the downgrade guide says to copy .cramfs.secure files into the mounted partition.
In 1.7.11 the mounted partition is read only which don't allow to copy the files directly.

So To copy the files i have used

to open the disk in write mode.Copied the files and then closed.

Followed rest of steps and downgraded.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

m_dk29 wrote:
nokiae50, thanks for the guide. Its helpful. Please check if you can add this to your guide or correct me if i am wrong.

When i tried to downgrade from Original Archos 1.7.11 to patched 1.6.54, the downgrade guide says to copy .cramfs.secure files into the mounted partition.
In 1.7.11 the mounted partition is read only which don't allow to copy the files directly.

So To copy the files i have used

to open the disk in write mode.Copied the files and then closed.

Followed rest of steps and downgraded.

Thanks

Thank you.
I dont have any guide regarding downgrade of firmware, but I will be adding it in my guide.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After 3 trys, I am still unsuccessful in this process. Am I missing something? I follow the instructions on page 1 to the T with no errors and I still do not receive the so called "Linux Penguin Game/screen" - I have the DTi selection available and create a new profile, but the only thing available is the "demo" which does nothing. Anyone else have any of these issues and can offer help?

I have an Archos 5 250gb, currently with firmware 1.7.11.
Using Ubuntu 9.10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

itlnstln wrote:
After 3 trys, I am still unsuccessful in this process. Am I missing something? I follow the instructions on page 1 to the T with no errors and I still do not receive the so called "Linux Penguin Game/screen" - I have the DTi selection available and create a new profile, but the only thing available is the "demo" which does nothing. Anyone else have any of these issues and can offer help?

I have an Archos 5 250gb, currently with firmware 1.7.11.
Using Ubuntu 9.10

You need to downgrade to 1.6.54 they have disabled the Game hack in 1.7.11.
Use this GUIDE to downgrade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

NOKIA - Thanks for your help and I was excited that you caught my error - BUT I followed that guide to the "T" with no errors and nothing changed. I have no idea what is going on - I have followed all instructions completely and still have firmware 1.7.11 and no DTi linux upgrade option.

The instructions are unclear as to what will happen after "I load the 3 files to the system partition of your device". I finish the instructions and restart via "repair disk restart" and my firmware is unchanged.

Is the "system partition" = /media/disk/ or did I load to the wrong directory?

Any more thoughts - ANYONE?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

itlnstln wrote:
NOKIA - Thanks for your help and I was excited that you caught my error - BUT I followed that guide to the "T" with no errors and nothing changed. I have no idea what is going on - I have followed all instructions completely and still have firmware 1.7.11 and no DTi linux upgrade option.

The instructions are unclear as to what will happen after "I load the 3 files to the system partition of your device". I finish the instructions and restart via "repair disk restart" and my firmware is unchanged.

Is the "system partition" = /media/disk/ or did I load to the wrong directory?

Any more thoughts - ANYONE?

Ok lets first get your player to downgrade.
Yes the system partition is correct (its not the one with the Video, Music, Pictures, etc. folder). When you paste the files in the /media/disk/ did you get a warning saying that those files already existed? You need to replace them with the one you downloaded 1.6.54.
And then say sudo sync and then unmount correctly. Then say Done in archos and you must be back to 1.6.54
Try again. If you dont unmount properly or get an error while unmounting then the files you copied wont be copied correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

NOKIA - I did not have permission to write to /Media/Disk/, thus the files were not overwriting. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP - I NOW HAVE A DOWNGRADED ARCHOS 5. Now it is time to DTi patch. AGAIN - THANKS.

Any other tips/tricks?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:52 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi all, i am new to the forum, i have had the A7 for a while and thought i would have a go at the hack

If i install the hacked firmware, can i simply install the latest 'original' firmware at a later time if i wish to sell the Archos 'unhacked'?

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Job done, and as an amateur it was quite simple, thanks to you all especially Cyrus and Nokiae50

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah I did that accidentally in my experiments, it seems to overwrite the bootloader and hacked firmware and you will go right back to how the device was before. (I hacked the device and then put on a factory fw and it undid all my hacking :(.

THanks again Nokie50 for helping everyone with the guide and putting up a more permanent version of the 7.11 hack :) I really think what you are doing is great helping everyone else. And also thanks to achilles for the original and the guys over at g3nius as without the tools everything would have been a looooot harder. They paved the way for a lot of great things.

Also has anyone else played with slingplayer at all? Does it work?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

kman666 wrote:
Yeah I did that accidentally in my experiments, it seems to overwrite the bootloader and hacked firmware and you will go right back to how the device was before. (I hacked the device and then put on a factory fw and it undid all my hacking :(.

THanks again Nokie50 for helping everyone with the guide and putting up a more permanent version of the 7.11 hack :) I really think what you are doing is great helping everyone else. And also thanks to achilles for the original and the guys over at g3nius as without the tools everything would have been a looooot harder. They paved the way for a lot of great things.

Also has anyone else played with slingplayer at all? Does it work?

Thanx to you also that we could get the hack for 1.7.11. Just one more question, just want to make sure that you have editted the patched FW and not the original FW. Meaning we get all plugins and the patched FW advantages, right?
Sorry dont have the SlingBox. But it seems very unstable, just wanted to open the slingplayer application (was not connected to wifi) it just reboot the player.

Last edited by nokiae50 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

siddys wrote:
Hi all, i am new to the forum, i have had the A7 for a while and thought i would have a go at the hack

If i install the hacked firmware, can i simply install the latest 'original' firmware at a later time if i wish to sell the Archos 'unhacked'?

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Job done, and as an amateur it was quite simple, thanks to you all especially Cyrus and Nokiae50

As I said, ALL CREDITS GO TO ARCHOS FANS FORUM, ARCHOS.G3NIUS.ORG MEMBERS, ARCHILLES, KMAN666, CYRUS me just making things clear :)
Yes Installing the original FW will unhack the player completely. Just a note if you are selling use the format option in the recovery mode and then put the original FW and update the system, that will do the unhacking and leave no traces of the player being hacked. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

itlnstln wrote:
NOKIA - I did not have permission to write to /Media/Disk/, thus the files were not overwriting. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP - I NOW HAVE A DOWNGRADED ARCHOS 5. Now it is time to DTi patch. AGAIN - THANKS.

Any other tips/tricks?

Hey cool down with the THANKS man (no offence). You need to thank this forum, ARCHILLES, archos.g3nius.org members, KMAN666, CYRUS, and many others who have made this possible
Anyways just follow this Guide
Now that you could the downgrading this must be "piece of cake". Incase you have any difficults, we are here to support anyone :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

nokiae50 wrote:
Just one more question, just want to make sure that you have editted the patched FW and not the original FW. Meaning we get all plugins and the patched FW advantages, right?

yep I based this off the patched fw :) so you get advantages of both. This is also why you need to patch the boot loader for this to work as the files are now without signatures.

interestingly I think the original gf hack for the 64 fw is signed so you might not even need to run the mouldy cheese hack for it to work, but I never tried it without the proper firmware. the origional gf hack did two things, it enabled all plugins and also removed the whatever.secure signature checks.

For the 1.7.11 version this has everything the patched fw has as well as plugins...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:03 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

kman666 wrote:
nokiae50 wrote:
Just one more question, just want to make sure that you have editted the patched FW and not the original FW. Meaning we get all plugins and the patched FW advantages, right?

yep I based this off the patched fw :) so you get advantages of both. This is also why you need to patch the boot loader for this to work as the files are now without signatures.

interestingly I think the original gf hack for the 64 fw is signed so you might not even need to run the mouldy cheese hack for it to work, but I never tried it without the proper firmware. the origional gf hack did two things, it enabled all plugins and also removed the whatever.secure signature checks.

For the 1.7.11 version this has everything the patched fw has as well as plugins...

Thank you for that, and the info.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:43 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Nokiae50 wrote:
Just one more question, just want to make sure that you have editted the patched FW and not the original FW. Meaning we get all plugins and the patched FW advantages, right?.

@Nokia - I have loaded the patched 1.7.11 firmware and bootloader, does this mean that it the unit asks if i want to update the firmware in the future it will update from http://www.g3nius ??

Also should the patched firmware unlock some games or just the plugins? I just have plugins?

Thanks in advance :D

Another thing i noticed after adding the patched FW, whilst playing a movie via the mini dock last night, the sound was via the A7 speaker rather than through the TV, not sure if this is to do with the patched FW to just a setting on the A7 that i have wrong - Has anyone else come across this?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

siddys wrote:
@Nokia - I have loaded the patched 1.7.11 firmware and bootloader, does this mean that it the unit asks if i want to update the firmware in the future it will update from http://www.g3nius ??

Yes you will get the patched firmwares only from the archos.g3nius.org website only.
siddys wrote:
Also should the patched firmware unlock some games or just the plugins? I just have plugins?

Only plugins.
siddys wrote:
Another thing i noticed after adding the patched FW, whilst playing a movie via the mini dock last night, the sound was via the A7 speaker rather than through the TV, not sure if this is to do with the patched FW to just a setting on the A7 that i have wrong - Has anyone else come across this?

You must have changed the audio output to loudspeaker. To change it, go to settings->sound and change the loudspeaker option to "automatic" or "off"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi nokiae50/anyone,

i think i bricked my archos 5 by doing something wrong..
May be instead of copying guy fawkes hack files, i copied the files from achilles I followed the procedure however. The boot screen has changed to a Linux penguin logo,written 'patched firmware - 1.6.54' and hangsup there. I am not sure what to do.

I had 1.6.54 firmware before doing this. Please someone help on this. :cry: :cry:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next