Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

kman666 wrote:
Hey I just updated this hack to work with the new 1.7.11 firmware.

Basically I followed this:
http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _DTI_Games

so from out of the box I
downgraded to 6.64 build
upgraded to the 1.7.11 firmware that was patched. from g3nius.org

Then after hacking I came up with the same method as the origional guyfaukes hack. I then overwrote the rootfs.cramfs.secure with my own version.

vola all options are now unlocked. It was quite easy and only took me about 5 hours to figure out the original hack and implement it on the new firmware! :)

here is the new rootfs.cramfs.secure file: please note that this is not signed so if you put it on your device without the hacked bootloader it will not work. Basically only use it if you are already running the modified version of 1.7.11 on your device and want the effects of the original guyfauks hack. (you see the penguin on boot and your version already says 1.7.11)
http://rapidshare.com/files/329643249/r ... ecure.html
MD5: 47565CE50E4B2C4CE474D8D13A87DB1C
Enjoy! I really like all the stuff that goes on hereand I just got my device a few days ago. wanted to give something back! Happy new year

this actually work? anyone else tried it? i'd just like to get some confirmation before i try it.. my archos is working perfectly and i'd like to not screw it up.. this is the 3rd one i had to get from amazon.. and i tried using the original guy fawkes hack on 1.7.11 and all my icons got messed up.. are the icons good?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

you should be ok, of course if you flash the hack that was designed for 64 onto 7.11 it will not work right, that is why I did this.
if it does not work you should still be able to boot into recovery mode and copy your original root back as long as you back it up first.

just remember you need to install 7.11 patched from the site above and have the unlocked boot loader before this will work.

It is still working ok for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

@kman666

Excellent work. Thank you very much for sharing this. It works perfectly. =D>

Cheers
Zac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanx kman666 THANX A LOT
Now I am on Patched/GF hacked 1.7.11
Not experiencing any problems until now.
After I installed your rootfs file I can see SlingPlayer under TV. What is this?
I think it was not there when I updated to Patched 1.7.11

Anyways thanx for the GF2 HACK..!!!!!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :D :) ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, SlingPlayer is SlingPlayer.

They included the SlingPlayer bitmaps in the previous firmware, but SlingPlayer didn't actually work until 1.7.11. I have a SlingBox, but it is not on my local net. When I try to log into a remote SlingBox, it tells me that it is not supported. Maybe somebody with a local SlingBox can try it out.

Btw, good initiative kman666.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hey guys, just bought the archos 5 and followed all the info on this support forum for hacking etc.
1ST time using an archos, 1st time using linux and a first time using this site.
A big big thanks to all! i am well chuffed all went smoothly!
please could someone post link for the new rootfs for the patched 1.7.11 for the GF hack as other one download limit reached.

thanks again guys keep up the good work!!!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

can someone repost the 7.11 root file? rapid share says it's only 10 downloads a day... let's see if we can get a few mirrors going

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah same here would be grateful if we could get another link. Once again thanks kman666

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I WANT TO ADD SOME SNAPS OF ARCHOS HOW TO PASTE IT?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Here's another link to the 1.7.11 GF hack file. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SP8A7LFV

Cheers
Zac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:06 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

@prajput17
You can go to this website http://tinypic.com/ and upload your photos.
Once you do this you'll get an image code link. You just copy that full link when you make your post and it should work.

Zac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

prajput17 wrote:
I WANT TO ADD SOME SNAPS OF ARCHOS HOW TO PASTE IT?

http://tinypic.com/
Try this :)

Sorry zac68 didnt see you post it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Great minds think alike :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The problem with not seeing the Penguin in the Games menu centers around the files are not being properly copied in linux. For whatever reason, there are occasions when the files appear to be copied in the right location (as per instructions) but they do not work. The result is that when one goes into Games, there is no Penguin there to use. I believe this problem is caused by failing to properly unmount the hidden partition (media/disk) after running nautilus. I also believe that this problem may be especially troublesome for the 250g hard drive. When running the umount command, the /media/disk drive frequently fails to dismount because the device is busy. If you disconnect your Archos while the drive is busy, there is a good chance that your files will fail to copy properly (even though they will appear to be in the right location) and you will not see the Linux Penguin.

The solution is to force whatever process that is running to terminate. Once you kill whatever is running, you can successfully umount your drive (/media/disk) and your Penguin will be in there. If you have previously copied your files, and the Penguin did not show up, go through the process again (copying the files) following these steps and you should be successful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

phanatron wrote:
The problem with not seeing the Penguin in the Games menu centers around the files are not being properly copied in linux. For whatever reason, there are occasions when the files appear to be copied in the right location (as per instructions) but they do not work. The result is that when one goes into Games, there is no Penguin there to use. I believe this problem is caused by failing to properly unmount the hidden partition (media/disk) after running nautilus. I also believe that this problem may be especially troublesome for the 250g hard drive. When running the umount command, the /media/disk drive frequently fails to dismount because the device is busy. If you disconnect your Archos while the drive is busy, there is a good chance that your files will fail to copy properly (even though they will appear to be in the right location) and you will not see the Linux Penguin.

The solution is to force whatever process that is running to terminate. Once you kill whatever is running, you can successfully umount your drive (/media/disk) and your Penguin will be in there. If you have previously copied your files, and the Penguin did not show up, go through the process again (copying the files) following these steps and you should be successful.

Thank you for explaining this.
A simpler tip though,
Just use Windows to copy the games folder :)

Last edited by nokiae50 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

phanatron wrote:
When running the umount command, the /media/disk drive frequently fails to dismount because the device is busy. If you disconnect your Archos while the drive is busy, there is a good chance that your files will fail to copy properly

Simple remedy: Issue a "sync" on the command line after writing data to the Archos. This will flush harddisk buffers to the harddisk. Also remember to close all programs and shells that are accessing data on the device. Then it shouldn't be any problem to umount the Archos.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have created a google site with some modifications to the original tutorial
Please have a look at Archos GF Hack tutorial

thanx to everyone one who made it possible.
Special thanks to EINSTEIN, ACHILLES, KMAN666 and archosfans, archos.g3nius.org, cyrus

and one more permanent mirror for the rootfs.cramfs.secure GF hack 1.7.11
here it is http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt/home/rootfs.cramfs.secure?attredirects=0&d=1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a question I dont know if anyone can answer, I was trying to make a .aos update for the gf hack as it would be easier for noobs. I was following: http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... are_update and I get all the way to the last step where the .aos file is generated using
sudo aos-repack digest

it seems that this command has been updated a lot since the tutorial was written. I can't get it to repackage everything into a .aos file. If I can get this then the gf hack would be as simple as downgrading to the 64 firmware running dti games and then updating using the .aos file. Has anyone else gotten aos-repack to work? (I also am a little afraid to try it as doing a full system upgrade is a little riskier than just overwriting the root.cramfs.secure if something were to go wrong with the packaging)

Also I dont have the archos any more, I got it as a present and was disappointed with its h264 playback. Whenever I played a x264 file on the device the keyframes were really blocky and did not work right from videos I converted using handbrake. I just wanted to see if the new version fixed this but it did not :( :( So I just went back to the standard mpeg2 profile as the x264 plugin didnt work right for me anyways. Hopefully you all have better success than I did playing x264 files.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Pretty new to the Archos arena, followed all the steps everything went smoothly, awesome, big thanks to everybody. The one little snag I had which was mentioned earlier was that the system would not unmount when following the downgrade and install patched firmware steps from the g3nius site. For me the problem which may be obvious to most linux users but took me a few minutes to figure out was that we change the directory to /media/disk then later do the umount /media/disk command, but you can't unmount the drive when you are in that directory it just says it is busy. So you have to cd to a different directory like / then issue the umount command to get it to unmount. Just throwing it out there in case anyone has the issue I did.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

kman666 wrote:
I have a question I dont know if anyone can answer, I was trying to make a .aos update for the gf hack as it would be easier for noobs. I was following: http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... are_update and I get all the way to the last step where the .aos file is generated using
sudo aos-repack digest

it seems that this command has been updated a lot since the tutorial was written. I can't get it to repackage everything into a .aos file. If I can get this then the gf hack would be as simple as downgrading to the 64 firmware running dti games and then updating using the .aos file. Has anyone else gotten aos-repack to work? (I also am a little afraid to try it as doing a full system upgrade is a little riskier than just overwriting the root.cramfs.secure if something were to go wrong with the packaging)

Also I dont have the archos any more, I got it as a present and was disappointed with its h264 playback. Whenever I played a x264 file on the device the keyframes were really blocky and did not work right from videos I converted using handbrake. I just wanted to see if the new version fixed this but it did not :( :( So I just went back to the standard mpeg2 profile as the x264 plugin didnt work right for me anyways. Hopefully you all have better success than I did playing x264 files.

I have no problems playing x264 files, but wished it could support 720 resolution. I have no idea about repacking the .aos file. Sorry but some linux guru will be able to solve that in a jiffy.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next