Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:22 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

nokiae50 wrote:
You must have changed the audio output to loudspeaker. To change it, go to settings->sound and change the loudspeaker option to "automatic" or "off"

The speaker was set to "automatic" as i reverted to playin te sound through my amp by plugin into headphone socket and tge speaker turned off. If the speaker is set to "on" it doesnt go off when you connect headphones ??? Strange?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:45 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hey there. :)
Is there a way to change the boot screen image from the penguin?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:52 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

see the archos docs, there is a walkthrough:

http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Great. Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

bill86 wrote:
hi nokiae50/anyone,

i think i bricked my archos 5 by doing something wrong..
May be instead of copying guy fawkes hack files, i copied the files from achilles I followed the procedure however. The boot screen has changed to a Linux penguin logo,written 'patched firmware - 1.6.54' and hangsup there. I am not sure what to do.

I had 1.6.54 firmware before doing this. Please someone help on this. :cry: :cry:

So Sad. First thing..are you able to go into recovery mode? If YES you are safe.

If YES - Ok now go to recovery mode, download original firmware 1.7.11 from Archos and update the firmware. Probably it might get you back to original OS. Then you can downgrade using http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?title=How_to_downgrade_the_Archos_5_firmware.

If you can go into Recovery mode and unable to install the original Firmware, format the device first and then upgrade to original firmware.

Else NO - Sorry your Archos is bricked and there is no way to get it back.

I hope its not bricked.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:06 pm 
Might have been posted a bit back but if you are having problems flashing or booting make sure your device is fully charged before trying to turn it on. I almost gave myself a heart attack worrying my device had been bricked after a flash. Charged it up fully, tried booting again and found it had flashed with no problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am able to get to Recovery mode if i hold volume button during booting of the device...
But if I dont hit the volume button, it just stays in the boot screen..I got hit this issue just a few days back, what i did was i copied the original rootfs.cramfs.secure file to the hidden partition and booted the device.But this time its not working when i tried the same thing.

Also, I had 1.6.54 version, so will trying to upgrade to 1.7.11 affect the device. Please let me know on how to do this install, as my device just stays with the boot logo(a linux penguin logo with 'patched 1.6.54' written on it)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Someone correct me if Im wrong:
Get into your recovery mode (power + Vol. Up), and choose Repair (vol. up/down to move cursor, power to select).
Connect your archos to your PC and copy the firmware you wish to install to the root of the archos ( latest firmware is here >> http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... us&lang=en ). Click "Done" (power).
The device should then recognize an update file and update your firmware.
As stated above:
m_dk29 wrote:
bill86 wrote:
If you can go into Recovery mode and are unable to install the original Firmware, format the device first and then upgrade to original firmware.

good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Spz0 wrote:
Someone correct me if Im wrong:
Get into your recovery mode (power + Vol. Up), and choose Repair (vol. up/down to move cursor, power to select).
Connect your archos to your PC and copy the firmware you wish to install to the root of the archos ( latest firmware is here >> http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... us&lang=en ). Click "Done" (power).
The device should then recognize an update file and update your firmware.
As stated above:
m_dk29 wrote:
bill86 wrote:
If you can go into Recovery mode and are unable to install the original Firmware, format the device first and then upgrade to original firmware.

good Luck

perfect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

im having some problems in step #2, i get this far and i dont know what to do next:

[email protected]:~$ cd /media/disk
[email protected]:/media/disk$ sudo chown 0:0 flash mv rm
[sudo] password for ollie:
chown: cannot access `flash': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `mv': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `rm': No such file or directory

whats the problem here? what am i doing wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

RancidTen wrote:
im having some problems in step #2, i get this far and i dont know what to do next:

[email protected]:~$ cd /media/disk
[email protected]:/media/disk$ sudo chown 0:0 flash mv rm
[sudo] password for ollie:
chown: cannot access `flash': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `mv': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `rm': No such file or directory

whats the problem here? what am i doing wrong?

did you follow the Step #1 from downgrade page for installing patched firmware??

If not follow step 1 and 2 from http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?title=How_to_downgrade_the_Archos_5_firmware and then follow next steps from installed patched firmware page.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

he figured it out he didnt place the files in the root he placed the folder there with the files. Its all kosher now :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have completed all steps and load with the 1.7.11 bootloader screen. However when I updated with the 1.7.11 patched AOS, it reverted me back to the original firmware and I do not have any of the extras "unlocked". What firmware does everyone recommend? Should I revert back to 1.6.54?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ya know, I ran into the same problem, only a different way.
I downgraded to 1.6.54, then installed the patch successfully, then upgraded to 1.7.11. Rebooted and still had root, with all the goodies.
I decided to roll back to 1.6.53 (dropping the patched fw into archos root) with the pre-patched fw from archos.g3nius. Rebooted and I don't have any of the goodies anymore.
I'd like to know what I did wrong here. I tried re-installing the DTI patch, and that ran all well and good,,, rebooted, but still not patched. So I decided to roll up through AVOS (online fw update -- which grabs update file from archo.g3nius) to 1.7.11 -- that went good as well, but its like it was never patched.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Spz0 wrote:
Ya know, I ran into the same problem, only a different way.
I downgraded to 1.6.54, then installed the patch successfully, then upgraded to 1.7.11. Rebooted and still had root, with all the goodies.
I decided to roll back to 1.6.53 (dropping the patched fw into archos root) with the pre-patched fw from archos.g3nius. Rebooted and I don't have any of the goodies anymore.
I'd like to know what I did wrong here. I tried re-installing the DTI patch, and that ran all well and good,,, rebooted, but still not patched. So I decided to roll up through AVOS (online fw update -- which grabs update file from archo.g3nius) to 1.7.11 -- that went good as well, but its like it was never patched.

itlnstln wrote:
I have completed all steps and load with the 1.7.11 bootloader screen. However when I updated with the 1.7.11 patched AOS, it reverted me back to the original firmware and I do not have any of the extras "unlocked". What firmware does everyone recommend? Should I revert back to 1.6.54?

here is what you have to do

download 1.7.11 GF hack file. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SP8A7LFV

and replace rootfs.cramfs.secure with the downloded one. You will get all the goodies.

Refer http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28363&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

Goodluck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

nokiae50 wrote:
I have created a google site with some modifications to the original tutorial
Please have a look at Archos GF Hack tutorial

thanx to everyone one who made it possible.
Special thanks to EINSTEIN, ACHILLES, KMAN666 and archosfans, archos.g3nius.org, cyrus

and one more permanent mirror for the rootfs.cramfs.secure GF hack 1.7.11
here it is http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt/home/rootfs.cramfs.secure?attredirects=0&d=1

Hello everybody, Namaste nokiae50 :)

I never used Linux or Android before. I have been monkeying around with my new Archos 5 for the last 4 days wondering why I can't install Android stuff and after the 3d day I became to know I actually got an Archos with no Android. Since then I have been trying to find the way to hack the Archos to use Android, XP, Vista or anything else a little more open that what Archos 5 comes with in order to be able to install apps.

I am following your instructions and this is my first time using Ubuntu (and Linux!). It took several hours to figure out the best way to install Ubuntu having Windows at the same time.

I don't know if I make an important mistake at this point of your tutorial:

Quote:
Then mounting the hidden partition to the folder "disk" which was created just now using the previous command

sudo mount -t ext3 -o offset=159800739840 /dev/sdb /media/disk

So now change the sdb to what every you get in your system when you do a sudo fdisk -l

I have an Archos 5 with 250Gb so my offset was different, no problem so far.

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 30361 243874701 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

offset: 30361 x 8225280 = 249727726080

Then I did this:
sudo mkdir /media/disk
sudo mount -t ext3 -o offset=249727726080 /dev/sdb /media/disk

The problem is I was following the tutorial step by step and after I finished with that part I read you need to "change the sdb to what every you get in your system when you do a sudo fdisk -l"

What I get when I do a "sudo fdisk -l " is sdb1.

I tried to do it again using sdb1 but it didn't work.

-----------

Later on...
Reading the instructions again I realized I actually didn't install the downgrade. I followed your tutorial

I followed everything step by step using again
sudo mkdir /media/disk (already created)
sudo mount -t ext3 -o offset=249727726080 /dev/sdb /media/disk (sdb1 didn't work... it is because my previous mistake?)

Then...
Quote:
Step 3
Third, to actually downgrade the firmware. You will need to locate three .cramfs.secure files and copy them to the system partition of your device. Here's a copy of the files

* cramfs.secure-1.6.54.zip

I am not sure how to "copy them to the system partition", so I copied them to the system folder in Archos. Is this what you mean?

Next I did this:
cd /
sudo sync
sudo umount /media/disk

Finally I unplugged the Archos and checked the firmware version... it was still 1.7.11 :cry:

What I am doing wrong? What do you recommend me to do now? :(

Thank you in anticipation.

=======
LAST UPDATE

Not being successful and having the option in the device I decided to format the disk to install the firmware version 1.6.54.

Now, the device is giving me always a white screen that says:

Archos G6H Recovery (code 101)
Would you like to recover your system?
No
Repair disk
Format disk
Force Touchscreen Calibration

I tried all the options getting always the same white screen.

When I connect the device to the USB of the PC I can't see it in Windows XP.

Trying to install the firmware again or at least to have the device working again, I searched the web finding this post. I tried to install the USB drivers mentioned there on my PC but when I click on the EXE files nothing happens.

I feel completely lost, tired and hopeless :cry:

I need help... please :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok guys, this is the situation: Now I can see the Archos 5 connecting it to the USB on my PC that uses Windows XP. The good news is I can see it with its own letter (before it used to appear just as Archos).

I copied and pasted on the root sector of the device, the file firmware_archos5-7.aos (name changes following instructions) I got from http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt/home and nothing happened. I still have the white screen saying:

No
Repair disk
Format disk

I didnt do anything else, just copying and pasting firmware_archos5-7.aos and then restarting the device.

At this point can I install a different firmware? Like Windows or Android? (This archos didn't come with Android)

Sorry for such long posts, I am just very confused and I dont want to forget a detail of what is happening in order to get your help guys :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

DendroTECH wrote:
Ok guys, this is the situation: Now I can see the Archos 5 connecting it to the USB on my PC that uses Windows XP. The good news is I can see it with its own letter (before it used to appear just as Archos).

I copied and pasted on the root sector of the device, the file firmware_archos5-7.aos (name changes following instructions) I got from http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt/home and nothing happened. I still have the white screen saying:

No
Repair disk
Format disk

I didnt do anything else, just copying and pasting firmware_archos5-7.aos and then restarting the device.

At this point can I install a different firmware? Like Windows or Android? (This archos didn't come with Android)

Sorry for such long posts, I am just very confused and I dont want to forget a detail of what is happening in order to get your help guys :oops:

Hi,
Have a look at the site [url]sites.google.com/site/archos5imt[/url]. Thanks to Spz0, who has improved the site to a great extent. I hope that solves your problem.
@DendroTECH you cant install android on your A5 as of now. But people are working on it, so it may be possible later.

Once again thanks to Spz0 who has improved the site =D>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No problem m8. :)

Heres that link again (as a hotlink) http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hoping ANYONE can help. Yesterday, my Archos 5 was working fine - i shut it down and when i restarted it, it continues to recycle boot(Linus Penguin Boot Screen and low tone noise coming from the speaker).

I have tried numerous times to recover and/or format with no luck - it says "please wait" and then begins to reboot. I cannot get my PC to mount it either.

My warranty is still valid, but not sure if I can send it in with the downgraded firmware. It shows the linux penguin boot screen.

Can I take this apart, pull the HD and backup files/load firmware? If unsucessful - is my warranty void for taking it apart?

Any help would be appreciated.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next