Long time lurker, first time posting.
I just successfully swapped out my 120GB for a 500GB drive. The new drive is a Hitachi Travelstar 7K500-500. I almost went with a 640GB drive, but I figured 500GB would be plenty enough room for me. I have to admit that reading about A>I's plight had me a little nervous, but it went rather smoothly for me. I started out with a pre-patched 1.6.54 firmware already applied (followed these
instructions). The procedure I used was...
1. Mounted and copied the hidden partition to an Ubuntu VM for later use. (really only needed the rootfs.cramfs.secure
2. Swapped out the drives. (used these
3. Booted to recovery mode and selected "Format Disk". It went pretty fast, maybe 20 or 30 seconds, and rebooted to recovery mode. I did this twice just to be sure it was supposed to happen so fast.
4. This time I selected "Repair Disk"
5. Downloaded the pre-patched 1.6.54 firmware from here
. Renamed the downloaded file to firmware_archos5-7.aos
and copied it to the root of the Archos.
6. Selected "Done" on the the Archos and it picked up the firmware and applied it. This took about 5 or 6 minutes.
7. Upon reboot the Archos initialized the "set up" like a brand new machine.
8. After the "set up" I rebooted to recovery mode again, selected "Repair Disk" again, mounted the hidden partition, and copied over the rootfs.cramfs.secure
file from step 1.
9. After one last reboot I had a 500GB Archos 5 with the GF hack applied.
New drive (still packaged)
After successful swap
After copying over the rootfs.cramfs.secure
I'd really like to thank archilles for the GF hack and everyone else who contributed to making this possible. What a great community you guys have made here. Thank you all very much.