Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
 Post subject: Re: How to open an A7
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

peterq wrote:
 so I've flashed original SDE.
Now I've got Archos7 with new HDD and orig. SDE and have no idea what to do next. :oops: How to do dual boot to flash patched firmware?
That's actually great news. Thanks for letting us know about it!

Well there are two guides on how to install the SDE.
http://www.openaos.org/~kevin/archos_angstrom_docs/dualbootinstallation.html
http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRoot
As you probably don't have an backup of your hidden partition you will need to create that yourself. How familiar are you with linux? Do you have access to an Linux PC (VirtualBox is fine too)?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

In related news
+++ this just in +++ breaking news +++ film at 11! +++
How to replace an broken harddrive in an gen6 unit with original firmware

;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dm8tbr wrote:
Well there are two guides on how to install the SDE.
http://www.openaos.org/~kevin/archos_angstrom_docs/dualbootinstallation.html
http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRoot
As you probably don't have an backup of your hidden partition you will need to create that yourself.

I undestand it, I've read this guides. But have no idea what to start with, as I don't have original files from hidden partition. :oops:
In the other hand - I have access to brand new Archos7, still with original FW. But I don't know is hidden partition files unique or not. :?

dm8tbr wrote:
How familiar are you with linux? Do you have access to an Linux PC (VirtualBox is fine too)?

No problem at all. I've got Ubuntu CD and have a lot of experience with Linux on my prev. job (up to 2004). 8)

dm8tbr wrote:
In related news

Thank's, dude! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

peterq wrote:
dm8tbr wrote:
No problem at all. I've got Ubuntu CD and have a lot of experience with Linux on my prev. job (up to 2004). 8)

Marvellous! This should be a walk in the park then!

I just realized it should be pretty easy if you try it this way (it sounds totally counterintutive but it makes life much easier):
  • Install the original Archos firmware through recovery (yes I know it won't boot, but we need it for the next step!)
  • Follow one of the two guides mentioned before

Why this? Well, although the firmware won't boot it still should create the hidden partition if I'm not very much mistaken. At this point you have the same situation like everyone else who wants to install the boot menu. Simple.

If you need some live feedback as to installing the boot menu just pop by on IRC (the chat link on top of the openAOS page has the details and an webchat)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yabadabadoo!! I've made it! \:D/
Just finished installing dualboot with working AVOS 1.7.11 into 120Gb and IT REALLY WORKS!
So here is the way to get back to life Archos5/7 with original FW and damaged HDD:
0. Install original 1.7.11 FW. Device will hang in cicle rebooting - it's OK.
1. Backup hidden partition as described in http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRoot
2. Install original SDE.
3. Continue as in http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRoot , using additional files from http://www.openaos.org/~kevin/archos_an ... -feb-2010/
That's all, falks!

PS But is it possible to make it boot after it without dualboot, only to AVOS?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

peterq wrote:
PS But is it possible to make it boot after it without dualboot, only to AVOS?

Yes, but why would you want to? Poke around with Angstrom a bit and you will find that there are quite a few things on there that you will never get with just AVOS alone. It's only an additional 5 seconds to boot it, which should hopefully be configurable in the not-too-distant future.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This unit is not mine, I've got it for repair and actual owner really don't need extra features of Angstrom - AVOS is all he need.
Today I've tried to downgrade to 6.54 (strictly by manual), but it seemsed that all changes really don't get to actual system - I see 6.54 in AVOS, can successfully update from AVOS GUI to patched 7.11, but at boot I still see SDE loader and dualboot menu. When I try to update from recovery menu loader didn't accept patched FW. Now I have no idea how to get rid from dualboot and get working AVOS at the same time. :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

peterq wrote:
Now I have no idea how to get rid from dualboot and get working AVOS at the same time. :?

Unless you want to go and rebuild the initramfs. You can't. Even then the Boot Logo won't go away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

dm8tbr wrote:
peterq wrote:
Now I have no idea how to get rid from dualboot and get working AVOS at the same time. :?

Unless you want to go and rebuild the initramfs. You can't. Even then the Boot Logo won't go away.

Hm, I'm not sure but it is possible that avos will be booted immediately if there is no other option in menu.lst. Or that it will be booted if there isn't a menu.lst at all. Some experimenting could be in place...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

grond wrote:
dm8tbr wrote:
peterq wrote:
Hm, I'm not sure but it is possible that avos will be booted immediately if there is no other option in menu.lst. Or that it will be booted if there isn't a menu.lst at all. Some experimenting could be in place...

The default option is to boot rootfs.img from the FAT32 partition if no menu.lst is found.
If an menu.lst is found the first entry will be booted if no selection has been made within 10s.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

When there's no boot.lst - Anstrom is booting. When I've left only one line in boot.lst (and this line is for AVOS) - AVOS is booting just after logo without showing boot selection menu, just like no boot selection available at all. So for user it looks just like original unit - exept for SDE logo at booting.
Mission accomplished. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

peterq wrote:
When I've left only one line in boot.lst (and this line is for AVOS) - AVOS is booting just after logo without showing boot selection menu, just like no boot selection available at all. So for user it looks just like original unit - exept for SDE logo at booting.

But remember that all will be f*cked up if user deletes the file "menu.lst". Just imagine your friend's surprise if he removes that files and some day reboots the unit (assuming he won't also remove rootfs.img)... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

grond wrote:
But remember that all will be f*cked up if user deletes the file "menu.lst".

I'll notice him not to delete ANYTHING from root folder. But all that needed is small menu.lst file, so I've backuped it for future.

grond wrote:
Just imagine your friend's surprise if he removes that files and some day reboots the unit (assuming he won't also remove rootfs.img)... ;)

I've deleted it by myself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:52 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

peterq wrote:
remember that all will be f*cked up if user deletes the file "menu.lst".
I'll notice him not to delete ANYTHING from root folder. But all that needed is small menu.lst file, so I've backuped it for future.

Or you can just hide the file

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I installed a new harddrive on my patched archos, but it wont let me install the patched firmware. please help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:54 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

okay i just finished the sde install then the multiroot install like you guys said and it's working. Thanks alot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thought I'd post this question here as it is in the context of the past posts.

My harddrive is on its way out, I'm running both the patched boot loader and patched OS.

As this will be my third drive in the A5 I'd now prefer to go solid state, I'm not concerned about the amount of storage as I use the A5 mainly to access my UPNP server and Internet radio.

So, I could go for a lowest cost/size SSD 2.5" SATA or 'And now my question :-)' - Has anyone used a Compact Flash to SATA adapter. Could this work?

i.e. something like:

http://www.span.com/product_info.php?pr ... rrency=GBP

Interested to hear your thoughts...

Ciao

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

zigriz wrote:
Has anyone used a Compact Flash to SATA adapter. Could this work?

I remember somebody did that with an Archos PMA. The only difference was the harddisk standard which was some small-form-factor IDE breed IIRC. I don't know whether the specific Compact Flash adaptor would work in an A5 but generally it is not impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:15 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I would be surprised if you could find a CF-SATA adapter though. I've only ever seen CF-PATA.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi,
my archos 5 just die on me...
i tried to recovery, format, everything wont work..
do this work in archos 5 ?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next