Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
 Post subject: Re: How to open an A7
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Bummer, putting the old HD back in won't work, it is dead. I confirmed that by plugging it into my tower, it emits a soft beep and doesn't spin up. Is the A5 locked to the specific HDD that was in it, or just the same make/model? Hopefully I didn't just brick it. If I did... well I guess my son's bday is coming, maybe he will get a new A5 IT ? That would be disapointing in that we only got 7 months out of this A5, and being a refurb it is out of warranty now. It was used pretty extensively, but still.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:03 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AlonFW wrote:
Is the A5 locked to the specific HDD that was in it, or just the same make/model?

THe specific one, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Can you get into recovery kernel? (holding + on power on) If you can, then you may be able to flash an SDE image.

Unfortunately I don't see much hope for you if the original HDD is dead. You broke (albeit unknowingly) the number rule of making sure your stuff works: NEVER run Archos' official firmware. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ya, I can get into the recovery. Does the SDE image remove the hard drive lock? Is there any reason not to use the SDE image? Once I have the SDE Image than I can put the cracked firmware on, right?

Alon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:56 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I have a question If i do get a new harddrive what driver should i install any patched one? I have patched 1.6...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It's worth a try. The SDE image will not do a HDD lock, as you have control over what kernel you want. This is all with init (non-recovery) kernel.

But because the SDE locks everything in flash with the init kernel, you are not going to be able to write a patched one. And because you are running stock recovery, you will not be able to flash a patched .aos file. Follow the openAOS guide for dualbooting if you want to get AVOS back.

AlonFW wrote:
Ya, I can get into the recovery. Does the SDE image remove the hard drive lock? Is there any reason not to use the SDE image? Once I have the SDE Image than I can put the cracked firmware on, right?

Alon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

frankslan wrote:
I have a question If i do get a new harddrive what driver should i install any patched one? I have patched 1.6...

a screw-driver!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yes lol I mean after i install the new drive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hey guys just a thought. Please tell me if this would work.
Someone here (sorry posting this from mobile, couldnt recollect your name) has the original drive not working, using a custom HDD, and by mistake installed the original FW.
Well would it be possible to install the SDE? Then booting from SDE and then flashing the FLASH with the patched bootloader and then installing the patched FW. Would this be possible, or is it impossible to install the SDE from the recovery mode with the original bootloader and custom HDD?

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

grond wrote:
AlonFW wrote:
Is the A5 locked to the specific HDD that was in it, or just the same make/model?

THe specific one, I'm afraid.

Someone who should know suggested that in the A5/A7 the device is only locked to the type of hdd present in the device. The original reason for Archos to implement the hdd-lock was that some retailers bought low-capacity devices from Archos and upgraded them to higher capacity harddisks selling them for a much higher price. Thus, in view of the massive criticism it makes sense to only prohibit upgrades with regard to the capacity. This means that it might be possible to revive an A5/A7 with a broken harddisk by buying exactly the same type of harddisk as a replacement. I don't give my word that this information is correct and I bet so wouldn't my source of information. Also this less restrictive hdd-locking appears to only apply to the more recent device generations.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Grond,

So is the theory that it is only locked by capacity, and I should be able to use any other 250GB HDD with success. Or is it specific to make and model?

Alon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:35 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

specific to make and model

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

grond wrote:

This thread suggests otherwise (i.e. you can upgrade an A5 from 120Gb to 250Gb):
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30758

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

itm wrote:
grond wrote:

This thread suggests otherwise (i.e. you can upgrade an A5 from 120Gb to 250Gb):
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30758

Yes, provided you have a hacked firmware. BTW, I believe I was the first person to have a different hdd in an hdd-locked Archos device (80G 1.8" in a 605-30 some time in mid-2008) so no need to tell me about it...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:45 am 
Archos User
Archos User

HELP! I'm mid-teardown of an A5 250Gb and am having trouble detaching the screen. I've removed the 8 screws and separated the top of the screen from the unit, but I can't release the bottom edge of the screen. Do I just prize it apart at the bottom edge? There's a sentence in the teardown guide which says "tilt the small plastic strip on the connector to release the wire separate the screen", but I can't find the small plastic strip that it refers to. Is this on the bottom edge? Can anyone tell me what it looks like??

Edit: I've skipped the screen removal as it was possible to remove the 4 screws holding the motherboard to the drive without removing the screen. Now I'm struggling to fully release the back cover of the unit. The hard drive seems to be fixed hard to it. Are there any other screws to consider here? If not, does anyone have any tips for how to detach the disk and back cover?? I don't wan't to apply too much pressure as I can see what appears to be quite a fragile had drive ribbon connector at one end!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I`m just new to A7, and I've got it for repair after droping down to the floor with HDD death. Original HDD even dont start spindle. It has unknown verson original firmware so I can't just replace HDD with a new one - it starts, formats new drive, leting to place new firmware from PC, starting update and causing error "update failed NOK (code 207)". :( Is it a way HDD lock looks?
The dead HDD is Hitachi HTS543232L9A300 (320Gb), new one is Hitachi HTS545050B9A300 (500Gb). I've used patched FW from archos.g3nius.org, tried all full patched FW with the same result.
Now I'm planning to use Linux and mount A7 in a repair mode to get into flash to replace bootloader with patched from archos.g3nius.org. Will it helps to update to patched FW into new drive? How I can get to know what version of loader I have now?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

peterq wrote:
I`m just new to A7, and I've got it for repair after droping down to the floor with HDD death. Original HDD even dont start spindle. It has unknown verson original firmware so I can't just replace HDD with a new one - it starts, formats new drive, leting to place new firmware from PC, starting update and causing error "update failed NOK (code 207)". :( Is it a way HDD lock looks?
The dead HDD is Hitachi HTS543232L9A300 (320Gb), new one is Hitachi HTS545050B9A300 (500Gb). I've used patched FW from archos.g3nius.org, tried all full patched FW with the same result.
Now I'm planning to use Linux and mount A7 in a repair mode to get into flash to replace bootloader with patched from archos.g3nius.org. Will it helps to update to patched FW into new drive? How I can get to know what version of loader I have now?

sorry to tell you dude, but I think you're sh*t out of luck.
One thing you could try is flashing the official SDE.
Your only option I guess is to send it to Archos for repair.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:

But what can I get from it? And why not just replace bootloader with patched one as I mantioned above?

Quote:
Your only option I guess is to send it to Archos for repair.

That's not a option for me - it will costs too much, for me it's cheaper to clone bad HDD serial number to new HDD. It isn't free of charge, but MUCH cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

peterq wrote:
Quote:

But what can I get from it? And why not just replace bootloader with patched one as I mantioned above?

Because the recovery kernel will only accept an Archos signed firmware file and there is no hack for the recovery.
Also the SDE allows you to dual-boot both Angstrom and AVOS (the original firmware). And as you can flash your own kernel once you have the SDE there is no HDD check.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Here is some news for my case.
I've moved original HDD serial number to other HDD (same vendor but smaller size (120Gb instead of 320Gb)), but it didn't help - it means that HDD lock locked not only to HDD SN and vendor but to something else (i.e. size, model, etc.). I have no time for finding these dependencies so I've flashed original SDE.
Now I've got Archos7 with new HDD and orig. SDE and have no idea what to do next. :oops: How to do dual boot to flash patched firmware?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next