Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am looking at the gen7 gpl code Archos has on their website and it doesn't look like it contains the source code for Android in it.

I have been attempting to build Angstrom from a combination of the following links and seems to be working, it takes forever.

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/bu ... str%C3%B6m
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/387849/wiki.html

Anyone have any further progress with this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This includes a lot of fixes and some things that we have been working on. Took me about 24 hours to build on an old PIII:
http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Setting_up_OpenEmbedded

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:33 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I just hate seeing this topic off the first page. :doubt:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I guess I should post here an update. Porting Android to gen6 is possible, but it's not going to be very usable. Gen6 devices don't have enough RAM (128 vs 256 in Gen7) and Android reportedly performs horrible running off a HDD (Gen7 has NOR flash for the OS). To add to the list of things, Gen6 doesn't have integrated bluetooth or GPS. In my opinion, it's just not worth it to port Android to Gen6.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:36 pm 
Thanks for the insight Che. I was stoked about seeing Android on the A5 for 2 reasons.
1. A large library of software that is simple to install. The app market for AVOS is a bad joke and I still can't bitbake a single piece of software for Angstrom after 2 weeks of trying.
2. The streamlined finger-friendly interface.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

aye, those were the identical reasons for my desire to see android on the A5 as well.
Perhaps some day in the future someone will port it over -- perhaps make a streamlined version for slower machines, such as the A5.

Thanks for the update on that Che. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Che is for my wife. I'm the Buzz part of CheBuzz :)

And your welcome, I guess. It's a bit unfortunate that the hardware isn't up to the task. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. It's just not going to be very usable.

leoinj: Did you follow this tutorial? http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Setting_up_OpenEmbedded I followed it to a 't' and it worked just fine for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hehe, I stand corrected. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

so is there actaully a working downloadable build of android for the a5 now?
i see so many folks saying there is but so where do we find it? while im not a programer or hacker im no slouch when it comes to installing say kevins angstrom build 199 and be fore that playing with all sortsof hacks and jailbreaks etc etc so is there a build outthere for me to play with? i dont care if its a clunker on a hd or anything, for what i want to it dosent matter how fast or slow it is! thanks in advance and im sorry if im stepping on any toes .im a hardware person but when i comes to softoware side i can follow instructions just fine :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There is not a working build of android for gen6 as of yet.
There has been some breakthroughs in the past weeks that are making it more plausible, and there are a couple people working on it (the gen7 kernel should work on gen6 according to sources), but its still a ways away yet.

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Spz0 wrote:
There is not a working build of android for gen6 as of yet.
There has been some breakthroughs in the past weeks that are making it more plausible, and there are a couple people working on it (the gen7 kernel should work on gen6 according to sources), but its still a ways away yet.
I apologize in advance, nitpicking ahead:

Technically it won't be a build. It will just be the gen7 Android on gen6. A build would be if someone goes out and gets the (publicly available, FOSS licensed) Android sources and builds those. Such a build would most likely be useless without heavy adaptation of the source code to the specific Archos hardware at hand (something you could call porting). At this point some people might start to understand why there isn't the newest greatest Android in an Archos firmware right after the Mountain View chocolate factory releases the sources to them. But I digress

Oh it's that late already, OK Ladies and Gentlemen that's all for today's class, see you next week when we explore how build systems work by example of the bitbake system used in ├àngstr├Âm. :)

What nobody brought me an Apple!? :(

Further reference

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I stand nitpicked. ;)

Thanks for the clarification dm8tbr. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks spz0! was just looking for clarifcation and you got it :D thanks! i only posted cuase hey ther have been so meny references and claims all over the place it was getting kinda hard to know what was what :D, im not looking for the latest and greatest andriod on the gen6, just whatever is being worked on or being cooke dup, i have a specidifc need for it , more a want really :D ,see my pda died, and my folks got me a refurbed a5 gen6 for 100 bucks, , i used my pda for e-books, and while it was easy enough to first convert them to pdf's then when i got annoyed with it, i first started looking on the forums and since im primarily a linux user, it was childs play to first run the fawkes jail break, then playing wit the various other patched firrmware etc, then saw the angstrom 199 build and converted to that and installed fbreader for my e-books, reads nearly all my ebooks with out converting to anything nice, but the issue with that flavor of fbreader is it cant open secured ebooks from most of the e-book store pages, the android version of the same ebook reader can, also there are other android books readers that are better, i dont need the latest greates android for that, or speed , i dont care for all tose purpose made books readers, as none of them will fit in your pocket, for easy carry , most pda's and the a5 will :D, and why i would like android for the better ebook readers? i have several thousand ebooks, :D and i do reread the good ones . of course if you or anyone else knows of a another solution for this particlar use of the a5 gen6 that is less drastic then a new os, can you let me know? thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This might be of some interest...

just opened up my gen6 (A5) and found a samsung memory chip part no. K4X1G323PC-8GC6

i looked up the whitepaper here ->http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/229906/SAMSUNG/K4X1G323PC-L.html
and it appears that this is a 1gig chip (32Mx32) ddr333.... ;)

coincidentaly I looked at the rest of the ICs and found that the majority of them (except for the OMAP3525) were completely different than the ones listed
on the g3nius site...

does anyone think theres a possibility that midway through production of our gen6's that archos could have found cheaper (and better quality) ICs that ended up on mainboards?

to quote CheBuzz
Quote:
Gen6 devices don't have enough RAM (128 vs 256 in Gen7) and Android reportedly performs horrible running off a HDD (Gen7 has NOR flash for the OS).

would this be of any benefit for android?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:03 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I don't have time to crack open my device and reference. But I have a couple questions
What model A5 do you have? 60Gb 120/250?
Can you post pics?

Im pretty sure from reading here that there was an older "generation" of Gen6 devices (I could be wrong -- I've read thousands of posts here, so I could be confusing it with something else -- someone confirm this please), and a new "generation".
This is intriguing for sure. So if your chip is 1024Mb then it must be clocked down to use only 128Mb?"

*edit** according to THIS, the A7 also uses a 1Gb density chip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:08 am 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Spz0 wrote:
I don't have time to crack open my device and reference. But I have a couple questions
Can you post pics?

Im pretty sure from reading here that there was an older "generation" of Gen6 devices (I could be wrong -- I've read thousands of posts here, so I could be confusing it with something else -- someone confirm this please), and a new "generation".
This is intriguing for sure. So if your chip is 1024Mb then it must be clocked down to use only 128Mb?"

too bad that 1Gbit divided by 8 yields only 128Mbytes....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nz wrote:
Spz0 wrote:
Can you post pics?

too bad that 1Gbit divided by 8 yields only 128Mbytes....

I.E. b=bit, B=Byte. A Byte is 8 bits. Confusing huh =P~ .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nah not really. It only confusing when the specs read Gb and not Gbit. ;)
My mistake, Thanks for the clarification. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Even though it only has 128mb of ram I think that the benefits of having android and it's marketplace would outweigh the issue of slow speed and/or inability to multitask very well. It's definitely worth considering. If someone is already working on an android port to the IMT device I would surely offer my help as I am a developer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

paranoidandroid wrote:
If someone is already working on an android port to the IMT device I would surely offer my help as I am a developer.

If you want to see this going anywhere I suggest you build an serial console and find out why Linux 2.6.27 does not boot.
Also getting kexec to work on 2.6.22 could help you here.