Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:26 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

CheBuzz wrote:
serbor, I'm a bit confused with what you are saying. You seem to know what you are talking about, so I'm going to assume that it must be a language barrier thing.

First, we're not talking about compiling Android applications. These are really just Java applets that run under Google's own JVM. What I am talking about is compiling Android itself. And you definitely do need a new kernel for Android. Google made modifications to quite a few of the Linux kernel subsystems, and Android will crash if they aren't there.

paranoidandroid: Do let me know how it goes when you get some time.

I understand what serbor is saying, and I agree that we do have a working kernel in the flash. However, without google's modifications to the linux kernel tree I don't believe that android would be functional and that is why I took the time to find the android kernel for 2.6.22.

I might have time in the next couple days to attempt compiling the userspace apps, so I will keep you informed. Could we maybe sticky this thread? I would like to get some collaboration with anyone else who has a background in computing.

serbor wrote:
Did you mean 2.6.22?

Yeah, I meant 2.6.22

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

CheBuzz wrote:
They are running the exact same kernel version (2.6.22-1) on both gen6 and gen7

So I was mistaken. Apparently gen7 uses 2.6.27.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Has anyone made any progress into a custom bootloader? I want to test different kernels with the IMT but I want to be cautious not to brick my device. If I could get a bootloader, like GRUB for instance, I could bring up a boot menu to load different kernels and/or OS's. I know that the team over at the g3nius has been working on something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:58 am 
Archos User
Archos User

paranoidgabe wrote:
Has anyone made any progress into a custom bootloader? I want to test different kernels with the IMT but I want to be cautious not to brick my device. If I could get a bootloader, like GRUB for instance, I could bring up a boot menu to load different kernels and/or OS's. I know that the team over at the g3nius has been working on something like that.

I've been looking into that and I think I have found a potential solution that doesn't require a forklift change out of the current bootloaders. U-boot V2 (aka barebox) can be configured to act as a front end to the boot process. If we have the stage1 boot loader use u-boot v2 instead of loading the kernel, we can have u-boot v2 allow for prompting for alternate kernels and root file-systems. This would still allow the recovery bootloader to work without any changes. We may even get u-boot v2 to search USB devices (thumbdrives and disks) for kernels/rootfs and possibly over the net with a USB ethernet dongle.

I have u-boot v2 compiling, but I am running into problems with it running as an ELF binary to test. There may also be some tweaking I need to do to either remove or enhance the hardware initialization, depends on how much the Archos bootloader does. Even with this plan it's possible to brick a device so I am proceeding with caution.

-Analias

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Something interesting I just found is the 0xdroid build of android is developed for the Beagleboard. The Beagleboard uses the same processor as the IMT (OMAP3). So, we could have a possible candidate for an android build from 0xdroid.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just found this link and wanted to share it with everyone. http://euedge.com/blog/2007/12/06/googl ... s-sl-c760/

This guy used the Angstrom distribution as a base to install Android on a sharp zaurus. This seems like a good approach!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

PA, Great Find! But i'm unsure from the way that is written if it's just emulating the software through Angstrom, or actually running a base Android OS. And the next question would be, does it matter? I mean if it's just skinned and works well, does it even matter if it's a emulator?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Knorreworst wrote:
The HTC HD (not HD2) has a ARM Cortex processor and it runs Android perfectly, this is surely worth a try, though you'd need "android-arm", not "android-x86".

Not exactly the most useful post, but that port isn't close to done yet, and it doesn't have a cortex it has a regular old arm11, and phones using the exact same hardware don't work with that port. We have a long way to go

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

There doesn't need to be much architecture porting since, y'know, Android is designed to run the and Arm platform and we know that it runs perfectly fine on the Cortex-A8.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

soooooooooooo, I hope this thread doesn't die. Android on my old device would be awesome. Wish I could contribute more, but I don't really know how to do anything this complicated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ParanoidAndroid,

Any news lately? Any kernel builds? or did you follow what that guy did for the sharp zaurus? Let us know!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry,
No news yet. I havent had time to do anything really. I've been looking a lot at something called Poky, which is a linux platform kit for mobile devices that is compiled with the openembedded source tree. It was just recently purchased by Intel and is compatible with the Cortex-A8. Check it out at http://www.pokylinux.org/

--ParanoidAndroid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is this thread dead? Anyone have any luck porting android to the gen6?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Soupdog,

I'm pretty sure the first person or team to manage it might mention it in passing here... In a similar way, if World War III starts, it may be mentioned in passing on the news. :shock: :lol:

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wow, you guys are brutal! Just though with no posts in almost a month the discussion might have moved on to another thread, or died altogether. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers! :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm about 1 week away from _starting_ on it. I will keep you posted on any progress I make, or if I abandon it entirely. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I now have someone working on it as well. He has good Linux knowledge, but is new to Android. We will keep you posted on our progress if you do the same. Feel free to PM me if you want to exchange information.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

wish I could help, i have some very limited windows coding experience, none whatsoever with linux. Just got an archos 5 250gb for christmas, please keep us posted on progress to android. My gf got a motorola droid and I love it, but don't wanna dish out the cash for the monthly service lol. All the apps minus the bill and phone would be fine by me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:39 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Soupdog,

The Smileys denote joking. Pretend you hear a laugh or a smile in someone's voice when you see one and it might come across as something other than 'brutal'... :D

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes, simleys do that in general. In this case though, it felt more like an attempt to soften condescending sarcasm. My apologies if I misread your tone! :-)