Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm sure this is just a matter of time before we see this (and I really can't wait), but this thread might help some developer somewhere. There are currently many efforts to port android to other platforms, and I think it'd be fairly simple with the latest SDE firmware. There are 2 open android packages right now:

http://www.android-x86.org/

http://code.google.com/p/live-android/

I think the Android-x86 is the most promising and more developed of the projects. It currently runs the Android 1.6 OS.

So where to go from here? Do either of these projects work on an ARM Cortex processor? and finding a way to boot the android software onto the Archos and configure all of the drivers. I know it's a lot, but this seems like the logical choice in OS's simply because all of the work is done, and we know that google apps rock our shit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The HTC HD (not HD2) has a ARM Cortex processor and it runs Android perfectly, this is surely worth a try, though you'd need "android-arm", not "android-x86".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well yeah... But isn't the original android already technically "android-arm"? So would we just need the original sdk? And why isn't anyone already doing this?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ari1127 wrote:
So would we just need the original sdk?

As far as i know, that has not been released.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The full sources have been published, as well as extensive porting guides:

http://www.kandroid.org/android_pdk/index.html

Hardware specific features that require closed source APIs have not been published.

- Ed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Google has released the Android source at http://source.android.com/download.

So, we just need to download the source, patch the kernel with any modifications that Archos has made for device compatibility and then make sure that the drivers are compatible with Archos hardware.

I'm familiar with Linux kernel patching. If anyone wants to work with me to try to port android to the IMT send me a PM or something.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just downloaded the android source and I'm building it right now. So, I'm going to have a working build of android-arm. Does anyone know what modifications that Archos made the linux kernel so that I can start patching?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:15 am 
Archos User
Archos User

If you download the 'AX06_GPL.tar.bz2' file from Archos' site, you'll have the kernel that they use on the A5/7 (2.6.22.1-omap1).

If you get the android kernel tree for that version (2.6.22.1) and diff it to a virgin kernel tree, you should have a diff file that you can apply.

- Ed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Note that you will want to get the android changes and apply them to the Archos kernel source. That will be the easiest route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Heck yes guys! I'm glad that this has caught on. I'm willing to help as well. My linux and coding are so so, but am willing to provide whatever else I can. Moral support?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Alright, so, I downloaded the Android platform and it turns out that the kernel tree is not included. So, I looked at the Android repo and found the common android kernel package. After downloading I created a difference file between the android kernel and the archos kernel. But, then I realized that I had downloaded kernel 2.6.27 for android and archos is using 2.6.22. So, obviously, this is not going to work. I'm going to look back in the repo to see if there are previous kernel trees available.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was able to find an android kernel tree for 2.6.22. After applying a new patch to the Archos kernel using a newly generated diff I have built the kernel using the buildroot makefile supplied by Archos, which was nice because Archos included the arm-gcc cross compiler.

Now, that I, presumably, have a linux kernel with modifications made by Archos as well as Google and a build of the Android platform I'm hoping that it will be as easy as using AOS tools to package it all up. But, things are never that easy... are they? haha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:15 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

paranoidgabe wrote:
I was able to find an android kernel tree for 2.6.22. After applying a new patch to the Archos kernel using a newly generated diff I have built the kernel using the buildroot makefile supplied by Archos, which was nice because Archos included the arm-gcc cross compiler.

Now, that I, presumably, have a linux kernel with modifications made by Archos as well as Google and a build of the Android platform I'm hoping that it will be as easy as using AOS tools to package it all up. But, things are never that easy... are they? haha

Let it be easy and hope you come through with flying colors..!!! Waiting for the android...!!! Hope your next post contains link for the android aos file :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Getting a working kernel is the first step, but it is definitely not the last. I am interested in doing this, but it's going to be 3 weeks before I am able to hack away at it. The plan of attack I had was to take a look at the gen7 source code and find out what modifications they made. They are running the exact same kernel version (2.6.22-1) on both gen6 and gen7 and rumor has it that Archos even had Android running on gen6 hardware at one point.

Have you compiled the Android user-land applications and tried running them?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

CheBuzz wrote:
rumor has it that Archos even had Android running on gen6 hardware at one point.

They used gen6 hardware for development of the gen7 firmware for quite some time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:59 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
Getting a working kernel is the first step

it would be true if you did not have a working system.

In "our" case it is the "lastest" step I would be concerned of. And only if I wanted to connect a new hardware.
Personally I don't get all that buzz you guys built up around kernel and it's versions.
Kernel needed in case if the rest of OS is compiled against uClibc, since the library wants some of kernel
headers, Android is built on libc and kernel is not needed at all. In "standard" android build the kernel is not even compiled. Because "who cares".

The good thing about unix is that kernel provides a uniform access to hardware, application doesn't need to know
about kernel versions as long as it is not using kernel "features".

You don't need to "hack" anything simply because Archos provides all patches to omap-patched vanilla kernel. Besides, it even provides already patched kernel sources in case, I guess, somebody might not know how to apply patches.

You would be better off thinking, if you have nothing interesting to do, how to apply those patches to more recent kernel, say 2.6.29rc3, which had been used in the latest TI's codecs and dsplink .
This would be useful.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

serbor wrote:
Android is built on libc and kernel is not needed at all.

I'm having a difficult time understanding what you are saying here. The kernel is definitely needed. The kernel is essentially the operating system, it supports the hardware and provides an abstract layer for hardware access.

serbor wrote:
2.6.29rc3, which had been used in the latest TI's codecs and dsplink .
This would be useful.

The problem with trying to patch this kernel is that there have been a LOT of changes since 2.5.22-1. One route we could take is to take a look at the OMAPpedia kernel tree which is an android kernel tree with active development in OMAP3 hardware specific optimizations. They have Android running on the Zoom2 platform. But their build is Android 1.6, which unfortunately does not have soft button support, which is really needed for the IMT.

Another issue is that we need to integrate the TI DSP accelerated multimedia codecs in order to be able to use the DSP core properly. All of this stuff is available. It's just a matter of putting the right pieces together.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

CheBuzz wrote:
Getting a working kernel is the first step, but it is definitely not the last. I am interested in doing this, but it's going to be 3 weeks before I am able to hack away at it. The plan of attack I had was to take a look at the gen7 source code and find out what modifications they made. They are running the exact same kernel version (2.6.22-1) on both gen6 and gen7 and rumor has it that Archos even had Android running on gen6 hardware at one point.

Have you compiled the Android user-land applications and tried running them?

Thats actually a really good idea. I hadn't even thought about looking at gen7 source. And actually, we might not even need to patch the gen7 kernel at all to be used on the gen6. I think that if we recompile the gen7 kernel we can even remove any unneeded drivers, bluetooth etc.

No, I haven't compiled the applications. It took roughly 4 hours to compile android and my patched kernel and I haven't had time to work on it much since then.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:02 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
Quote:
Android is built on libc and kernel is not needed at all.

I'm having a difficult time understanding what you are saying here. The kernel is definitely needed. The kernel is essentially the operating system, it supports the hardware and provides an abstract layer for hardware access.

The kernel is definitely needed. And you have it in your flash.

There is no point to bother with kernel when compiling Android apps.
If android was built against uClibc then you'd have to have kernel at compile time.

Is that more understandable?

Quote:
The problem with trying to patch this kernel is that there have been a LOT of changes since 2.5.22-1.

Did you mean 2.6.22?

Certainly there were changes. That's why the most recent omap kernel is 2.6.29.
And that's why I told that if you have nothing more interesting to do and have an intent to fool around the kernel tree it would be better to apply archos patches to the TI's kernel, instead of bothering to find an android kernel 2.6.22.
You do have it in your flash. No point to reflash.

There is also no point at all to pack the stuff into an .aos file.
The only thing you need is an image of the root file system or rootfs.crams depending of init you flashed in.

I personally don't even bother to pack into an image because I simply copy root file system to a usb stick, having an "original" (patched, though) system on the hard disk.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

serbor, I'm a bit confused with what you are saying. You seem to know what you are talking about, so I'm going to assume that it must be a language barrier thing.

First, we're not talking about compiling Android applications. These are really just Java applets that run under Google's own JVM. What I am talking about is compiling Android itself. And you definitely do need a new kernel for Android. Google made modifications to quite a few of the Linux kernel subsystems, and Android will crash if they aren't there.

paranoidandroid: Do let me know how it goes when you get some time.