Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Archos has always "over-hyped" their products as "breakthroughs in innovation" but in reality the functionality is never quite as robust as you expected and the implementation is rather crude, almost as if it was "forced" or cobbled together.

My first device was a 604 wifi, and I could "see" where they were going with it, and I thought if I hung around long enough they would get to where we all want to go, but that wasn't the case.

The 5/7 was rolled out as a modular device, and there was Archos-generated buzz about a USB 3g dongle plugin, and Archos gave the impression that the 5/7 was their new hardware platform that was going to stick for a while. That's the deceptive part.

In summary, the 5/7 turned out to be more of the same, and they just sexied up the hardware. They're been selling basically the same unit over all the generations, and they they just dribble out some stuff in the new lineup that should have been in last years lineup, so the product is never really innovative in the sense that they're offering something cutting edge.

No doubt Archos made decent PMP's, the 7 is ahead of its time in terms of screen real estate and hard drive size, although Magellan has just come out with a 7" GPS for under $200, but they should have at least implemented H.264 720p on the 7.

CheBuzz wrote:
Since you brought up the point of how cheap the hardware is now, I find it somewhat saddening to see how much they were at launch, and then you calculate what the "early adopters" fee is for the devices.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I cant say anything about the Price as i bought it for 230 Ôé¼ the 32 GB version so with that im happy though the invoice of the guy who sold me it who bought it directly from Archos is Crazy 320 Ôé¼i would never bought it for that :P an once TI's Hardware Security layer has been compromised it's a nice Platform to play with :)
Though i really thought already about selling it again and buy a Odroid (Arm Cortex A8 based on Samsungs S5PC100 with everything inside) or Pandora (TI Platform) which are more open then this :)

The Day Quake 3 Runs on it the day it will be worth it's Money ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is it possible for the Devs to compile a .AOS file of the SDE firmware with Wifi and Firefox already enabled? That would be GREAT if they could! Or will we only be able to install the original SDE firmware and then install everything manually like its done now? Im asking this because I'm not "Linux Literate," if that makes sence and it would be GREAT if all this progress could eventually be compiled into .AOS update files and put up for download on the Wiki page, that the Archos 5/7 can easily update from within the restore screen. This will work even better, more and more, once other OS's are possible like, Mer, Android, Ubuntu, etc! Can y'all comment on this?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Have you had anyluck installing XBMC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYq7f-CrnOc

You should be able to install mcgeagh's build hes been working on porting XBMC to arm

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t= ... os&page=10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

i just came back to here after a while and read a post about the "Special developer edition firmware" im truely happy to hear that archos has done the wise thing and opened up the IMT's, and i would like to thank Milo and Katamai for thier hard work in advance, im sure this will be leading to a wonderful future for my A7 besides being used as a $500 clock radio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hello,

First off Jolly well done to all of the devs who are making the SDE happen!

What is the status of the SDE:

1. Can videos be played the same as with the original OS or does the video lagg?
2. Is the multi boot reliable and are people using it?
3. Is there any centralised wiki or site where an idiot (for me and others like me) can find the relevant instructions?

I would be happy to try and install the multi boot and SDE even if not "everything" works as well as under the archos os as long as I can reliably boot up into it using the multi boot. I would then be more than happy to test out the other angstrom packages.

I am not too linux minded but I am a techie developer (java, opengl and such like).

Last edited by rsksmiles on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

1. No. And this will probably never be the case. The hardware acceleration to do such playback requires access to a proprietary SDK.
2. Yes. And yes.
3. http://dev.openaos.org/wiki

I am working right now on a .aos update file that would install a multiboot environment on jailbroken devices with the latest SDE image. It should be ready by tomorrow.

rsksmiles wrote:
Hello,

First off Jolly well done to all of the devs who are making the SDE happen!

What is the status of the SDE:

1. Can videos be played the same as with the original OS or does the video lagg?
2. Is the multi boot reliable and are people using it?
3. Is there any centralised wiki or site where an idiot proof (for me and others like me) can find the relevant instructions?

I would be happy to try and install the multi boot and SDE even if not "everything" works as well as under the archos os as long as I can reliably boot up into it using the multi boot. I would then be more than happy to test out the other angstrom packages.

I am not too linux minded but I am a techie developer (java, opengl and such like).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

CheBuzz wrote:
1. No. And this will probably never be the case. The hardware acceleration to do such playback requires access to a proprietary SDK.

If the hardware is known (gpu etc) is there no angstrom driver for it or is that a daft question?

CheBuzz wrote:
2. Yes. And yes.
3. http://dev.openaos.org/wiki

Thanks chebuzz - I missed/ forgot the dev part of the openaos site.

CheBuzz wrote:
I am working right now on a .aos update file that would install a multiboot environment on jailbroken devices with the latest SDE image. It should be ready by tomorrow.

Okay - I will look forward to trying it out.... thanks

So do you think it is practical to have dual boot and boot archos os for videos and open aos for other stuff??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

A bit of a daft question but I will answer it anyway. The hardware is not known, and very few people have the skills to reverse engineer it. So that only leaves TI's SDK that is only available for $$$ with an NDA I'm sure. Point being, not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

That leaves the dual-boot option, which we believe to be the best of both worlds. And this doesn't stop at just dual-boot. openAOS is working to incorporate any other OS that somebody sees fit to port to the A5/A7. As of right now, that is of course only AVOS and Angstrom.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

CheBuzz wrote:
A bit of a daft question but I will answer it anyway. The hardware is not known, and very few people have the skills to reverse engineer it. So that only leaves TI's SDK that is only available for $$$ with an NDA I'm sure. Point being, not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

That leaves the dual-boot option, which we believe to be the best of both worlds. And this doesn't stop at just dual-boot. openAOS is working to incorporate any other OS that somebody sees fit to port to the A5/A7. As of right now, that is of course only AVOS and Angstrom.

:oops: #-o

That'll learn me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

CheBuzz wrote:

Actually you don't need to pay $$$ to use most of the OMAP3. The only part that is somewhat "closed" is the SGX 3d core (but that is the same for other SGX implementations, see Intel's GMA500 and the lack of proper linux drivers for it). And the SGX core is not even used by Archos' media player as the OMAP3 in the A5 does not even have it, so you would not need it to achieve similar results.

The OMAP3 DSP and its hardware accelerators are more or less all documented and the DSP toolchain is available from TI for non-commercial use, so there is little stopping you from starting to hack on the DSP side. BUT, even when looking at a large community supported project like the Beagleboard (which has the same OMAP3 inside) the actual number of people that are going into writing code on the DSP is very small. So, IMHO, it is not the money holding back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:15 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ah, you are probably correct. I was thinking of the DaVinci chip that was in Gen5 players. But I still submit that working on multimedia functionality should not be the focus of the community right now, as AVOS does well on that. We should expand on the things that AVOS doesn't do (or doesn't do well).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:26 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

CheBuzz wrote:

Great work CheBuzz!!! Looking forward for that. And excellent work by all those who made the multi boot happen on the Archos!!! :) =D>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:05 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:

CheBuzz wrote:

does that mean that you can choose android or linux os when the archos starts up? is that what multiboot mean?? If not is that possible?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:34 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Are we as far along as they are with the beagle board?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuVwh_VrIxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnnW6UAV7us

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ready by tomorrow... that's what I get for putting down an exact date. For those interested in this, I apologize for the delay. I have everything ready except an annoying problem with the OE build system. As soon as my change gets incorporated and built, I will have an .aos dual boot update file for all of you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 am 
Archos User
Archos User

That sounds awsome mate good on ya. So we talking about the archos 5 internet tablet android? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:29 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mitch04 wrote:
So we talking about the archos 5 internet tablet android?

Nope, about the a5imt (i.e. the old a5).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

CheBuzz wrote:
Ready by tomorrow... that's what I get for putting down an exact date. For those interested in this, I apologize for the delay. I have everything ready except an annoying problem with the OE build system. As soon as my change gets incorporated and built, I will have an .aos dual boot update file for all of you.

I tried installing this firmware and am having trouble.

http://www.openaos.org/archives/82

Right now I am running the normal OS hacked with all the plugins and such. When rename and try to apply the new firmware im getting an error on the archos. Whats going on here? am I missing something?

thanks..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Underthebed wrote:
CheBuzz wrote:

I tried installing this firmware and am having trouble.

http://www.openaos.org/archives/82

Right now I am running the normal OS hacked with all the plugins and such. When rename and try to apply the new firmware im getting an error on the archos. Whats going on here? am I missing something?

thanks..

Try installing it from the recovery menu