Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Introduction:

Hello fellow Archos 5(g) and Archos 7 users!

Let us introduce ourselves. Our names are Milo and Katmaï, and we are starting a development diary. The idea is to create a working interface for the recently released SDE firmware. I (Milo) will be designing the interface, and my friend Katmaï will make sure everything works.

This is an open project, so feel free to contribute in any way you find appropriate! We will often update and reply in this topic, to keep everyone informed about our progress.

Current goals:

Getting devices to work on ├àngstr├Âm (audio, wifi, USB-client);
    Creating a media player;
    Enhancing stability;

Now working on:

Katma├» is going to create a .aos file that adds stability and functionality to the current ├àngstr├Âm distribution. We find the current stability just not good enough, and we know you would appreciate it if your device actually did what you want it to do.

Achievements:

We have entered 'root' through the terminal, by typing 'su' and hitting enter.
    Milo has just won his first game of Othello! ^_^
    With cryptyk's help, we managed to control the archos with our PCs, over WiFi.

Further information:

We have noticed that the applications on ├àngstr├Âm often fail to work (i have only seen some of the configuration utilities (i.e. look and feel, virtual keyboard) and the terminal work as they should).
    The media player in ├àngstr├Âm crashes when you try to add files or a directory to the player.

Supporting forum members:

Useful resources:

Kind regards,

M&K

Freelance Developers.

Last edited by Knorreworst on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just wanted to say that the wifi has already been enabled : "http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?title=Enabling_WIFI_under_SDE",
and I was wondering if you wanted to use the applications that already exist on Angstr├Âm (as this distribution has already been used on some devices) or create some.

And of course, good luck !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

goay wrote:
I just wanted to say that the wifi has already been enabled : "http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?title=Enabling_WIFI_under_SDE"

We'll definitely take a look at that, thanks for the assist.

goay wrote:
and I was wondering if you wanted to use the applications that already exist on Angstr├Âm (as this distribution has already been used on some devices) or create some.

We are going to try to make the system as stable as we can first, then we'll see if we're going to create new apps/widgets ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
goay wrote:
I just wanted to say that the wifi has already been enabled : "http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?title=Enabling_WIFI_under_SDE",

And of course, good luck !

For folks too lazy to cut and paste:

http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?title=Enabling_WIFI_under_SDE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:51 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Sweet!! thanks for working on this! Can't wait till we get a new update!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:07 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Great work guys.

My request to all developers.
Can all developers work at a single project and parts would be distributed to each of you guys so that we can make the best use of it. I mean it will be the most stable version.
We dont want developers wasting time on developing the same things again and again.
Just a suggestion.
Sorry about my bad english

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

nokiae50 wrote:
Great work guys.

My request to all developers.
Can all developers work at a single project and parts would be distributed to each of you guys so that we can make the best use of it. I mean it will be the most stable version.
We dont want developers wasting time on developing the same things again and again.
Just a suggestion.
Sorry about my bad english

I agree that this would be the best way to work on this project. I think this topic could be stickied in the Hacking and Development board, to avoid confusion.

Oh, and your english is perfectly fine ;)

To all developers:
If you are currently working on the ├àngstr├Âm OS, please PM me. I would love to share our experiences and knowledge. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:59 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Count with me. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

cpimentel wrote:
Count with me. 8)

Sorry, what exactly do you mean?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm willing to help in anything that may be usefull... I'm a regular Ubuntu user with soma what coding knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

cpimentel wrote:
I'm willing to help in anything that may be usefull... I'm a regular Ubuntu user with soma what coding knowledge.

Alright, i will put you on our list :) thanks! You will be PM'ed when we are stuck on something ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:52 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Please change the link for the Angstrom step-by-step to the forum post ( viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28214 ) rather than directly to my dropbox. That way any discussion in the post is available as well.

thanks,
-c

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

cryptyk wrote:
Please change the link for the Angstrom step-by-step to the forum post ( viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28214 ) rather than directly to my dropbox. That way any discussion in the post is available as well.

thanks,
-c

Done! The link has been changed :) Thanks again for your contribution to all of us.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Im sure you guys can do it ;)
http://OMAPpedia.org/wiki/Graphics_SDK
i have no Archos 5 IMT but IT so im still bound to Android and the whole Archos TI Protection craziness :(
http://omappedia.org/wiki/OMAP_Angstrom ... DK_from_TI

the result will be this ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gotAysTI6Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkLVxdAr1Jw

happy hacking :)

And for the start of getting Video Acceleration via the DSP
http://omappedia.org/wiki/OMAP_Angstrom ... ted_Codecs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:02 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the A5 CPU does not have the SGX core.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Chebuzz: You are absolutely correct. The OMAP3525 (used in the A5 and A7) does NOT have a SGX core in it. Why Archos chose to be cheap in this way kinda baffles me. $550 USD for my A7 and they chose to be cheap with $15 or $20 price difference (to them) between the CPUs?

I've been tempted to find someone who can do board rework and pay them to swap the processor. The OMAP3525 and the OMAP3530 are completely pin compatible.

-Analias

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Analias wrote:
Chebuzz: You are absolutely correct. The OMAP3525 (used in the A5 and A7) does NOT have a SGX core in it. Why Archos chose to be cheap in this way kinda baffles me. $550 USD for my A7 and they chose to be cheap with $15 or $20 price difference (to them) between the CPUs?

Well, why spend $15 more if you just don't need a specific feature? Also the a5/a7 were among the earliest OMAP3 devices out on the market so perhaps they just used what was available then.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Analias wrote:

I've been tempted to find someone who can do board rework and pay them to swap the processor. The OMAP3525 and the OMAP3530 are completely pin compatible.

-Analias

Probably less than that in bulk. But still...

I have the skills and the equipment to do the replacement. But not the time, unfortunately, as I'm moving soon. Though this may be an interesting task one day if I can get a free sample from TI.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:16 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Oh i didn't knew that it had no 3D support at all but it makes sense as said it was one of the earliest Devices based on Omap 3 before even the beagleboard was released so also with something like Avos i think the target for 3D was less exciting but yea it's funny how cheap Archos sells now this thing with more features then before.
That also shows that the "premium exclusive" title for Archos Products is slowly fading away anyways and that they just react to the new market, personally im still a little surprised that they still drive forward with things like the Docking stuff it would have been rather easy to integrate features like USB Otg and HDMI directly into the Device case of the A5IT, but yeah some extra overpriced accessory money is always a nice thing :P, though sooner or later we gonna see some nice Hardware hacks too in those regards ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:23 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Since you brought up the point of how cheap the hardware is now, I find it somewhat saddening to see how much they were at launch, and then you calculate what the "early adopters" fee is for the devices.

Now normally I am willing to pay a small premium to get my hands on the "latest and greatest", but what do you get for being an early adopter of Archos products? You get to be a beta tester. That's a lot of money for the privilege of debugging faulty software.

Anyway... </rant>