Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I don't know if there is an easily accessible shell somewhere in archilles' new rootfs, but as soon as someone finds it, if some of you want to do a crazy thing and play with your flash memory, here's a small tutorial on how to flash your own boot logo:

http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _Boot_Logo

Replacing the boot logo is the first exercise I did to test out the 'flash' utility I wrote. I already compiled the flash utility so you can skip that part of the tutorial and just download it from here:

http://code.google.com/p/aos-tools/down ... 0091106.gz

I'll soon write a tutorial on how to create your own rootfs as part of the aos-tools project. Info is here:

http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _Toolchain

At this point the aos-unpack utility from aos-tools can fully unpack a stock firmware down to decompressing the cpio and the cramfs files. This is a work-in-progress, so don't expect it to be easy, but it's definitely getting easier :).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Muchas gracias from Spain; ARCHILLES, YOU ACHIEVE IT !!!
AH! thanks for the "small update" I was getting fool.

A photo of MY new A7:

I can connect perfectly across USB with the PC =D>

Last edited by SisK0 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

archilles,
Can you release the source code for mouldy_cheeze?

Thanks,

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just a question before I give this hack a try :
Is there a possibility to go back to a non hacked firmware ?

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@baptiste; look at the photo:
"Actualizar software" -> Update software
"Actualiz. software en linea" -> Update on line

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hey guys just a noob question sorry.
I am worried that I will screw up my archos while performing the hack. So what happens if I brick my device. Is there NO WAY to make it come back to life? Can we take a complete backup or image of the whole Harddisk so that if something goes wrong we can restore it back. Is this possible?

Thanx again for all the support guys... I hope this will continue and becomes a HUGE SUCCESS!!!! ALL THE BEST GUYS!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

edembowski wrote:
If you're not comfortable with linux, don't do this. Wait for the later version. To answer your question though, you open up a command prompt (the one that you used to do the other commands will work fine) and you type the commands as shown. I truly do not mean to be rude, but if you are not familiar with these commands, you should learn more about how to get around in unix before proceeding.

- Ed

Hey thanx man Ed. You are not at all rude...!! Yes true people like me would be better of to wait for a simple hack... Anyways thanx again!!! Keep up the great work..!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Not really all that difficult :) followed the directions to the "T" and hack is working great for me :D thanks for all your hard work man !!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Grompy wrote:
you open up console or terminal whatever it's called. It might vary depending on what kind of linux you are working in.. try right clicking your desktop and clicking open console or terminal.. or try googling your version of linux on how to open terminal.

Thanx!!! Anyways I dont want to screw up my A5 so I guess I will wait for a later stable, easier hack...
Anyways thanx again, and GUYS KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!! I can see archos people crying already... :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

OK, so Archos isn't that big on error messages....

I tried reformatting my fat partition as ext3, and poking around from there. It seems to get very unhappy when you format the disk as ext3, it just goes into a continual reboot cycle. Next, I'm going to try to shrink the partition to something a little smaller, and add an ext3 partition to see if it will mount it.

- Ed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Screwyluie wrote:
munkytown71 wrote:
Maybe I just don't get it. I've been watching and waiting for Nov. 5 to hear what advantages this "jailbreak" would bring to us Archos 5 owners. Am I missing something? I still don't know what, if anything, this could eventually allow me to do on my Archos that I can't already do. I appreciate the explanation on how you did it, but frankly that's useless to me since I'm not that tech savvy. I've been asking all along exactly WHAT we might be able to do with our devices that we couldn't do before the hack. And I'm still not sure what that is. :?

you say you're not tech savvy so maybe this does nothing for you, but for those of us that like to tinker, this is wonderful. in the end what is hoped will be achieved is the freedom to do anything we want rather then only what archos allows us to do. let's say you want a program but archos doesn't allow it or doesn't have it, but if you jailbreak and someone out there has made the app, then you can get it. if you don't want anything then there's no need to jailbreak.

the largest change will be the OS, being able to install linux, or maybe even android or windows mobile, which would allow for vast array of apps and support that we can't get from archos.

but this is all in the future, for now the door is open...

Thanks Screwyluie, that clears it up a bit more. A hack such as this will allow those who want to possibly install particular apps to do so. And to install a different OS too. Correct? For something like installing a Cinema or HD plug-in would there have to be an app for that too? I guess what I'm wondering now is if things like that (the various video plug-ins) would need a new app created for them to be installed. And also, this won't allow us to just use the Archos Android firmware or any of it's apps or plug-ins, etc. would it? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

will this hack also allow someone to look after the "HD Lock" problem?
I mean that I can swap my HD with a bigger one.
Thanks

Theo

Last edited by Theo001 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:18 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

@edembowski: You could have just plugged your archos via USB to try that. You could also have had a look at the recovery cpio, the comments in the recovery script are quite explicit about the hidden partition: its size and position are written in the last disk sector by some utility (can't remember the name), I'm pretty sure you can modify the recovery script to get a bigger partition or even to write it somewhere else on the disk, but don't expect it to be any more accessible when you plug in the usb cord...

@Theo001: the hdd lock is enforced in the init cpio, so it all depends if archilles disabled it or not (ask him), but it _is_ possible to do this with a patched bootloader.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

EiNSTeiN_ wrote:
@edembowski: You could have just plugged your archos via USB to try that...

Yeah, that's what I did. I'll take a look at the recovery. One odd thing is that when I did a pfdisk from my mac, I'm seeing a different end sector than when I do it under Linux (63 extra sectors at the end under the Mac than Linux).

So the ext3 partition idea won't work. Can you think of another good way to get root?

- Ed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Dude work's like a charm!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot... No I would like now how install an OS like (ubuntu) on it??? Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How do I know it worked?? I have done all the steps (ext3 pen drive with moody_cheeze in it, chown and chmod). Selected the game under dti and hit play. Getout of the game, unmount the usb drive, take out my a5 from the dvr station and reboot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As nokiae50 suggest me by PM i put the firmware 1.6.54 in the root folder and a window showed up with available update; updating, the hack is removed and the A7 become jailed, into original conditions; installing again the hack was faster (i have the USB stick already ;) )
He suggest too explain in a video the process of "how to hack the Archos gen 6", that would be more complicated as the process that only involve the use of linux commands such as:
mke2fs -t ext3 /dev/sde1
mount -t ext3 /dev/sde1 /mnt/sde1
cp /mnt/sdd1/mouldy_cheeze /mnt/sde1
cd /mnt/sde1
sudo chown root.99 mouldy_cheeze
sudo chmod ug+s mouldy_cheeze
Edit:
Beware; sdd1 and sde1 are my drivers; yours could be different.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ellopr wrote:
How do I know it worked?? I have done all the steps (ext3 pen drive with moody_cheeze in it, chown and chmod). Selected the game under dti and hit play. Getout of the game, unmount the usb drive, take out my a5 from the dvr station and reboot.

same boat as you, however I don't see extra plugins in the Firmware/Plugins page.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:51 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

SisK0 wrote:
As nokiae50 suggest me by PM i put the firmware 1.6.54 in the root folder and a window showed up with available update; updating, the hack is removed and the A7 become jailed, into original conditions; installing again the hack was faster (i have the USB stick already ;) )
He suggest too explain in a video the process of "how to hack the Archos gen 6", that would be more complicated as the process that only involve the use of linux commands such as:
mke2fs -t ext3 /dev/sde1
mount -t ext3 /dev/sde1 /mnt/sde1
cp /mnt/sdd1/mouldy_cheeze /mnt/sde1
cd /mnt/sde1
sudo chown root.99 mouldy_cheeze
sudo chmod ug+s mouldy_cheeze
Edit:
Beware; sdd1 and sde1 are my drivers; yours could be different.

is it not possible to format a usb stick to ext3 from the GUI? I guess it would depend on the distro you use.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

@edembowski: Just so I understand, you were in avos, you plug your A5 in a mac and it shows 63 extra sectors? I can tell you that the extra 63 sectors are actually where the hidden partition is stored, but I don't understand why the mac see it and not linux. I would assume that the mac pfdisk read the size of the drive from somewhere else than linux, but I believe the A5 will not allow you to write to those sectors even if you can see them in pfdisk... Try to mount with the -o offset parameter like this:

mount -t ext3 -o offset=??? /dev/sdb /media/disk

Change the command for your mac... As for the "???", replace that with the start of the hidden partition (in bytes). You can calculate it by doing (at least on a linux box)

$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xe553ffe9

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 9474 60717667+ 83 Linux

Now this is actually my laptop drive but you get the idea... The start of the ext3 partition = number of "Units" times the "End" of the data partiton, for the output of fdisk above you would do: 8225280 * 9474 = start of ext3. Replace the "???" in the mount command by that number and the hidden partition should be mounted. If it's not mounted, then it means your A5 actually does not allow you to read/write those sectors even if your mac's pfdisk tell you they exist...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next