Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:20 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Has anyone gotten this moldy cheese to work on the 4gb flash model of the 605 line yet? Or does it still require further moldy-fications? Er, i mean modifications? What about the 705 models, will it also work on them? I am looking forward to trying this out but do not want to brick anything. Glad someone is out there to keep these devices current, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

moldy cheese is stable!

http://archos-liberation-front.googleco ... stable.zip

* usb is working. figured out what i was doing wrong. real duh moment.
* gdb, gdbserver, gdbreplay have been added to /opt/usr/bin.
* you can easily add your own files. i have removed optfs.cramfs.secure and replaced it with optfs.cramfs. this is a regular cramfs, no signature or header required. to add your own stuff, mount the cramfs, clone it to a directory, add what you want, remake it with mkcramfs and copy to the archos.

this will probably be the last that i work on the 605, assuming i didn't mess anything up. i have a lot to do on the newer generations. i'm hoping somebody can pick up the torch and get to work on some custom interfaces for this device.

please let me know if you find any problems.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Great work man !

So you will be abandon the 605wifi and new 605 (non-wifi) firmware version ? I mean will you look for a way to downgrade and use moldy cheese in all 605 even with updated firmwares and on 605wifi ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

i will still be looking for root exploits for firmwares > 1.7.13, but it will not be my only focus, nor my main goal. this latest version of moldy cheese includes gdb on 2.1.04 avos. so it should greatly help out people who want to look for such exploits.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I would just like to mention my experience updating to the "stable" version of Moldy Cheese:

It is infact stable (as far as I can tell) in the sense that it WILL connect VIA USB, congrats Archilles on figuring it out and thank you for all the time you are putting into these hacks!

After i applied the update and rebooted i got an Error Code 105 asking to to 1)Do nothing, 2)Repair Disk , or 3) Format Disk. I chose NO a couple times (since it presented the message to me a few times) and after that it successfully booted.

Don't know why it did that, but in reality there was no need to format. Just a reference for future updaters :)

EDIT:: Question for Archilles:

Did you in some way modify the max sound level on the Archos unit or does that come with the newer firmware you are using as a backbone? I noticed this that when i use my Logitech BlueTooth headset, if i put the volume to the max (which i usually do since my headset has its own volume controls) i get NO sound (i assume it is maxing out) but when i reduce it to about 60% i get sound that is louder than i used to get with the volume bar at full....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:31 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I can confirm the volume thing, cyclone. Setting the volume any higher than about sixty percent results in no sound on the Archos. (I can't remember how loud full volume used to be, but it couldn't have been much higher than this.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all,

First of all thanks to the admin and team for the wonderful site like this for the archos lovers. Coming to me i just bought Archos605Wifi yesterday, what a good palyer archos is....player is more good than what i expected. :( but later discoverd that i have to pay for the plugin to access the wifi- id int get this me and my buddy ordered same time and he got the opera already installed and its fullly working but not mine. then checked all over the internet for some hacks and apps -found this website.

This website and then this page....first tried the moldy cheese in the first page it dint worked at all later discovered my firmware is v 2.1.0.4 and then tried the moldycheese2 and followed the instructions on page one...nohitng is happening everytime player starts normally.

one more noobish question

"1;/bin/sh -x /mnt/data/FREEDOM" i tried diff flavors of this according to what i see here there is space between sh and -x and one more space before / and x right. i tried all those nothing is working to me.please help me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:30 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I understand you are new, but the fact has be mentioned multiple times:

MOLDY CHEESE does not yet work on any other firmware of Archos 605 than the 1.7.13 firmware.

Sorry for all those who have higher, but maybe Archilles will one day release a hack for that too...or someone will find an exploit...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks for the reply, i thought moldycheese 2 for the latest. Is there anyway that i can install v 1.7.3 and use the crack.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

There is no known way of downgrading fully as of yet...

I ask for you to read the WiKi which is in the Thread on the top of the Hacking Page...there is a lot of good data there that would assist you and save yourself from posting questions that can easily be answered. Thank You.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:43 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

So give us examples of what this will allow users to do? What will this run? Will prgrams need to be written or are there progams now that will work to give new/extra functionality?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

goldenhopper wrote:
So give us examples of what this will allow users to do? What will this run? Will prgrams need to be written or are there progams now that will work to give new/extra functionality?

Can you read? Cause seems to me that the answers to all of your questions are already in the first post of this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Great work guys.... Keep up the great work!!!! ALL THE BEST!!!!
Any one tried this hack on the Archos604 wifi 30GB model latest firmware???

And waiting for NOV 5 for the release of hack for the A5...!!!

Sorry for my bad English...

Thanx again... Keep up the GREAT WORK GUYS.....!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok so here goes my superNoob question:

Thanks achilles I now have moldy cheese up and running, can I update the firmware now in order to get flash v9 or is there any way to just update flash?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:23 am 
Archos User
Archos User

upgrading is a NO NO! If you upgrade, you lose the hack, and possibly the potential to ever run it again.

UPGRADING WILL NOT BENEFIT YOU! IT WILL ONLY ELIMINATE THE HACK!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thats what i figured, but I had to be sure. thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Apologies in advance for this semi-n00bish question.

This new hack sounds extremely exciting for 605 owners. I was wondering if the technical issues solved in its development would allow similar hacks to be developed for the 504, specifically to allow HD upgrade/replacement as it's currently locked for firmware versions above a certain value. Thanks for any info or advice!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:44 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

in some thread there is the assertion made that all the archos bootloaders are similar, perhaps you could study the explanation given and source code supplied by archilles with his hack, and the discussion in another thread(which you may have to dig for) about mounting hidden partitions and reading out flash memory

if i understand correctly, once the bootloader has been compromised, the hd lock is relatively trivial

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks generic_username. I've spent more time reading the technical issues discussed in this thread as well as a previous thread about the Gen4 GPL source code release and I think I understand a little more now. Unfortunately I don't know Linux so a lot of the terminology is unfamiliar to me. I've thought about learning Linux for quite some time and maybe this will give me the motivation to do so. I'm not a programmer but I am fairly technically literate with computers with experience dating back from the good ol' DOS days.

As a 504 owner, my main motivation is to be able to defeat the current HD lock and replace/upgrade the HD on my own b/c as we all know, it's not a matter of *if* it breaks, it's *when* it breaks. I'm still not sure what's required to accomplish that yet. Any help and advice in that regard would be greatly appreciated! Of course I'd also love to have the additional benefits of newer firmware updates and any 3rd party apps developed in the future.

And finally, many thanks Archilles for your technical expertise and hard work developing and sharing this hack!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a Archos 605 Wifi with firmware 2.1.0.4. I have been reading that we can now downgrade according the the other threads. Does this incluse 2.1.0.4?

Since I can play flash games this means i can't run moldy cheese or is the flash I have from the new firmware and should be fine after a successfull downgrade?

Another question I had was If the newer hack "guy fawkes hack" works with the archos 605 wifi or just the newer devices and does that hack still have plugins?

Last edited by twizted25 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next