Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

cyclonezephyrxz7 wrote:
Omega Frost wrote:
Now with moldy cheese is possible to find the RSA key from 605 gen., decrypt the .AOS file and modify an update to disable the bootloader lock and/or downgrade?

I believe that they key is still private and hidden beyond any sort of computer decryption power (discussed alot in another thread)...however what is the use of modifying the update file when with this we can just install our own custom kernel and linux distrobution. Essentially, this hack tells the RSA key and checker "You're done, i've bypassed you!" (haha)

Because this would be the ultimate hack for 2.x updated devices (like mine :( ).

I agree that the key is hidden from any RAW reads from the memory but, if it's possible to read the Bootloader program it should be possible to trace the memory accesses from the functions to the location of the key.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

grond wrote:
idontknow wrote:
Since modifying the Flash is always a risky operation, I would appreciate if our great gurus out there could check my assumptions and confirm that the proposed solution is OK. Thanks in advance!

I think it will be much easier to just also flash the cpio to the bootrom where it is loaded from in your case. That is, once there is a stable "moldy cheese". The copy in the bootrom is used for the recovery operation so it should be made sure that it actually runs well for obvious reasons.

Of course, it is easier, but not really safer because it means that each time you want to update to a newer "moldy cheese" or test your own one, or even maybe "multiboot" between archos OS and Qtopia (by replacing cpio an rootfs files) you have to reflash, and if anything bad happens at this time, you can brick your device. It would be better to be able to have files read from disk also with a 160GB (or bigger) HDD, don't you think?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Argh, I purchased my unit back in April - 605 Wifi 80gb - with already 1.8.07 on it, I downgraded to 1.8.03d but it will not let me go backwards beyond that.

It's like being that astronaut on the first lunar mission that had to stay in orbit while his buddies all went down to the moon...

Still, KUDOS for achieving what everyone thought was impossible. I'll be waiting patiently for MoldyCheese V1.8.x to come out, if only to be able to swap out the HDD at will, the one in mine is already starting to show signs of tiredness, it will let me write files to it, and delete them, but I cannot play them back on my PC anymore when using the device as storage. In other words I cannot READ/COPY them from the device to the PC anymore.

I tried a couple of things but I have a feeling something in the interface is messed up, it also keeps reverting to a USB1.1 device on all my PCs and the one I have at work.

Seems to me that Archos devices, much like Sony's devices, are neat, but delicate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

idontknow wrote:
Of course, it is easier, but not really safer because it means that each time you want to update to a newer "moldy cheese" or test your own one, or even maybe "multiboot" between archos OS and Qtopia (by replacing cpio an rootfs files) you have to reflash, and if anything bad happens at this time, you can brick your device. It would be better to be able to have files read from disk also with a 160GB (or bigger) HDD, don't you think?

i agree with idontknow. it would be best to allow > 132gb drives. you seem to know what you are talking about. but i'm no ata guru, so i won't be much help there. and i don't have a 160gb so it's not worth it to me to flash one. anybody want to volunteer?

you have asked, and i have delivered. grab 'moldy cheese' v0.1 here:
http://archos-liberation-front.googleco ... e_v0.1.zip

a few improvements:

* 2.1.04 avos, unlocked. grond was right in that the plugins differences were because it was 1.7.13. he was wrong in that i modified avos in the wrong place. oh, and of course gft has been re-enabled.
* a better busybox and ssh started at boot. no more need for gft to get ssh access.
* a more stable cpio. still has issues, but i'm not a kernel guru either. maybe somebody can help out here? see below for kernel tips.
* a devel tool added. if you want to test a program, simply copy the command you want to run into /mnt/data/run_once. on boot, if /mnt/data/run_once is present, it will execute that instead of avos. /mnt/data/run_once will be deleted, so that avos will start on next boot.

now how to build your own kernel. you will first need to extract the initramfs. if you download moldy cheese v0.1 zip, in it you will find a program findgzip. run 'mkdir /tmp/cpio'. copy cpio.secure into /tmp/cpio. now run: 'cd /tmp/cpio; cat cpio.secure | ./findgzip | gunzip | ./findgzip | gunzip | cpio -i -d -H newc --no-absolute-filenames; rm cpio.secure'. you now have a copy of the initramfs in this directory. the archos gpl sources can be used to compile your kernel. in .config you will find the directive CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE. point that to cpio_list from moldy cheese v0.1 and start compiling. you will find the finished file in arch/arm/boot/zImage. add the signature header changing the size info at x8c, in little endian hex of course. now copy to you harddisk and reboot.

for those who have already installed the first moldy cheese, the easiest way to recover is to reboot and hold the tv/lcd button. this puts it in recovery. connect usb, copy over the archos 1.7.13 aos making *absolutely* sure it is 1.7.13. now you are back to a clean 1.7.13 image and ready to run the next install script.

things i would like to see:
a kernel guru make us a rock-solid cpio.secure. contact me if you are up to the challenge.
somebody get the latest gpl sources from archos.
a scripting guru look at init in the initramfs and see how we can add things to our advantage
a 160gb mod would be awesome too.

i've thought a lot about organizing a hacking group A.L.F. - archos liberation front. any interest in this? i've started a google group, so let me know what you can bring to the group.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

idontknow wrote:
Of course, it is easier, but not really safer because it means that each time you want to update to a newer "moldy cheese" or test your own one, or even maybe "multiboot" between archos OS and Qtopia (by replacing cpio an rootfs files) you have to reflash,

The rootfs is exclusively on the harddisk and as long as you change that (which should be >90% of the cases) there is no special risk. If you want to experiment with the kernel, well, yes, you will have to flash it each time. But actually there is no reason at all to compile your own kernels. I used the one provided by Archos, removed the kernel module signature check and there you are with a perfectly stable kernel that will load all modules you want it to. What else do you expect from a kernel? :)

In addition I changed the recovery system to not do normal firmware updates but rather made it copy files in a specific location of the data partition to the system partition. This way you can update the rootfs right from the recovery menu instead of having to reapply 1.7.13 and re-hack the device each time you end up with a rootfs that won't boot (very tedious, I tell you!).

Quote:
and if anything bad happens at this time, you can brick your device.

Not really because the normal boot on a hacked 605 would also start a rootfs from an 80G replacement hdd. In fact, you could most probable make the second partition start (and end) before the critical boundary and the bootloader would be able to load the cpio from the harddisk. Look into the Archos kernel source to see how they hide the information on the 2nd partition (hint: they write size and location information into a sector of the FAT partition).

Quote:
It would be better to be able to have files read from disk also with a 160GB (or bigger) HDD, don't you think?

I think that patching the code in the bootloader for doing this is extremely risky. You get one try without any recovery if you are unlucky.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

archilles wrote:
* a more stable cpio. still has issues, but i'm not a kernel guru either. maybe somebody can help out here?

Just use the Archos kernel and remove the module signature check if you are interested in adding your own kernel modules.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

archilles wrote:
you have asked, and i have delivered. grab 'moldy cheese' v0.1 here:
http://archos-liberation-front.googleco ... e_v0.1.zip

a few improvements:

* 2.1.04 avos, unlocked. grond was right in that the plugins differences were because it was 1.7.13. he was wrong in that i modified avos in the wrong place. oh, and of course gft has been re-enabled.
* a better busybox and ssh started at boot. no more need for gft to get ssh access.
* a more stable cpio. still has issues, but i'm not a kernel guru either. maybe somebody can help out here? see below for kernel tips.
* a devel tool added. if you want to test a program, simply copy the command you want to run into /mnt/data/run_once. on boot, if /mnt/data/run_once is present, it will execute that instead of avos. /mnt/data/run_once will be deleted, so that avos will start on next boot.

now how to build your own kernel. you will first need to extract the initramfs. if you download moldy cheese v0.1 zip, in it you will find a program findgzip. run 'mkdir /tmp/cpio'. copy cpio.secure into /tmp/cpio. now run: 'cd /tmp/cpio; cat cpio.secure | ./findgzip | gunzip | ./findgzip | gunzip | cpio -i -d -H newc --no-absolute-filenames; rm cpio.secure'. you now have a copy of the initramfs in this directory. the archos gpl sources can be used to compile your kernel. in .config you will find the directive CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE. point that to cpio_list from moldy cheese v0.1 and start compiling. you will find the finished file in arch/arm/boot/zImage. add the signature header changing the size info at x8c, in little endian hex of course. now copy to you harddisk and reboot.

Hi, at first thank you very much for hack. if i did understand, i would be able to hack my archos 605 wifi 4GB with firmware. but i didn't understand how can i. are there someone that will tell me easly how can i hack my archos?
sorry but i'm not good in english.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

archilles wrote:
i agree with idontknow. it would be best to allow > 132gb drives. you seem to know what you are talking about. but i'm no ata guru, so i won't be much help there. and i don't have a 160gb so it's not worth it to me to flash one. anybody want to volunteer?

As soon as I have a bit more time (get a lingering project out of the way), I want to get my 250GB hdd to work in the 605 (my prime objective for those who haven't heard my whining before). I was thinking of approaching the problem in the following manner: create a very small dummy fat partition, leave some space for the hidden partition and then create a third partition holding the remainder of the space and have that mounted under /mnt/data. Any thoughts?

Ideally, I would like to see the Archos opened up so we don't need to generate the cramfs.files or hidden partitions. Have /dev/hda1 as a normal linux partition, put the kernel there as well as all the other apps without mounting a whole bunch of images. /dev/hda{2+} would be whatever we want, wherever we want to mount it/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:

Does this mean that we can now run MoldyCheese 0.1 with the 1.8.03d firmware installed?

for those who have already installed the first moldy cheese, the easiest way to recover is to reboot and hold the tv/lcd button. this puts it in recovery. connect usb, copy over the archos 1.7.13 aos making *absolutely* sure it is 1.7.13. now you are back to a clean 1.7.13 image and ready to run the next install script.

Would this work to downgrade from a 1.8.xx firmware to the crucial 1.7.13?

Thanks in advance for the precision.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Lord_galathon wrote:

Does this mean that we can now run MoldyCheese 0.1 with the 1.8.03d firmware installed?

No.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

pawstar wrote:
Lord_galathon wrote:

No.

:( Oh well, glad I asked, I suppose I would've bricked my unit had I tried. I'll check back in a month or so...
At least (unrelatedly) I corrected my Wifi connection problem.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:12 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Just applied the update. Thank you Archilles !!! :D

@archilles and anyone who applies the update/hack: you do not NEED to reinstall 1.7.13!!! In my experience, I was able to put the files (already extracted) onto a 2 GB flash drive then plug that into my dock (while the power cable was plugged in too). That was I successfully transfered the files and applied the hack. Hope this saves some people from having to format data off of the Archos they would otherwise want to keep.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

archilles wrote:
idontknow wrote:

I'm not ATA guru neither, and not even a disassembly guru. This is the first time i try this! That's why i would appreciate that other more experienced people have a look at and discuss/validate my suggestions.

Anyway, thanks again Archilles! I've just updated with your new cpio/rootfs files and it seems to run fine, but i have a very stupid question: what are the login/password for SSH???

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:16 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Archilles...I just tried pluggin my Archos 605 Wifi 30GB unit into my computer through the DVR Station/Dock with the power plugged in, through the smaller USB attachment, and on my computer it comes up as Drive L:, but there is NOTHING inside of that drive. It seems it still cannot read the HDD on my archos. Did i do something wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:18 am 
Archos User
Archos User

login is root
password is archilles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:37 am 
Archos User
Archos User

No cyclone, moldy cheese still doesn't allow you to connect to a PC. I actually waited for the new version before I installed it (I was reinstalling all my media because I read you couldn't connect in hard drive mode), and my Linux machine doesn't even detect the Archos now. The screen on the Archos just goes black and it won't show the "connected to pc" or whatever screen no matter how much you tap it, and the only way to reset it is to hold down the power button for ten seconds.

However, you can still transfer files into it via usb stick with the dock (nice discovery, btw!). And the file manager works again for deleting files.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

thanks for clarifying ..... i guess i will just have to transfer files through the usb stick bit by bit instead of straight through usb. I wish i kne this prior to installation so i could have made a backup. oh well...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

i said it was better, not stable. still working on it.

that said, there is the usb drive option. there is also scp from the device. not ideal i know, but you are always welcome to flash 2.1.04 and return to being archos' bitch :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Pleaseee.. someone tell me how can I hack my archos 2.1.04?? if it's possible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

archilles wrote:
i said it was better, not stable. still working on it.

that said, there is the usb drive option. there is also scp from the device. not ideal i know, but you are always welcome to flash 2.1.04 and return to being archos' bitch :wink:

You make a very good argument haha!!!

x_matteo wrote:
Pleaseee.. someone tell me how can I hack my archos 2.1.04?? if it's possible.

I don't believe that is possible yet

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next