Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

So...

after waiting some days to be able to log in, I finally made it and now I present you my self-made Tetris-clone.

Long, lameass text following, scroll down for the download link!

From beginning of development I always wanted it to run smooth on the Archos (605) and not to look fancy (so don't expect that) or have a lot of effects (yeah, you are getting disappointed now...), but to have full functionality (highscores, etc.).
I ran into a lot of problems due to the Archos' Flash Lite, oh well... I don't believe much in rumours, but it has been said that Flash 9 is on the way, which would be cool, because it fixes a lot of problems, but everyone interested in terms of programming should read the "programming" section at the end.

Now I release the current version to the public and I think it runs pretty good - compared to other games I tried (like the neave.com Tetris which is just unplayable...).
Enough said, have a list of functions:

Functions:
    - diferent speed levels (who would have thought...)
    - user is able to pause the game at any time
    - the next block is shown
    - score-, line and level-count
    - runs pretty smooth
    - simple, oldschool interface
    - local highscore (challenge your friends!)
    - physical button support or in-game buttons
    - playable with or without the web-browser-plugin
    - touchscreen controls!
    - 2 view modes: normal + rotated (by 90┬░)
    - NEW! Online Highscore NEW!

To-do List:
    - another way to save the highscore (see "programming" section for details)
    - improve tile (I-tile) rotation
    - fix small lag after dropping a tile (before a new one is created) or clearing a row
    - ...everything else you want to have (gamemodes anyone?)...

There are two versions available - one for those without the web-browser-plugin and one for everyone else who has bought it (well it's just an additional html-file with the embedded flash-game). This sounds cool and all, buuut each version has it's pro and cons (most of which I can't fix, sadly):

Web-browser version:
    + Highscore is saved - no matter what - until you format the HDD or delete the local files of the browser
    - scaled down because of the status bars
    - to be able to use the up/down-buttons to choose the level you have to click anywhere inside the game or play it at least once
Simple Flash verion:
    + runs slightly better (minor lags when you clear a row)
    + fully-sized
    - highscore is not very stable, it is deleted every now and then and sometimes it does not save at all (again, tell me why, but it seems to be the same with the standalone flash player on my PC)
I suggest you play the game with your web-browser (if you've bought it), because saves correctly and nearly runs as smooth as the standalone version.

Programming: (you should only read this if you are forced to do so ;))
    - Flash Lite does not support "Broadcasters", which are used to provide a constant key-response (just hit a key and don't let go and you will see what i mean - there is a short lag after the first symbol), this does not matter really much while the Archos-Keys basically have this constant key-response (of course I noticed this after I programmed all the stuff, oh well...)
    - I am saving the highscore using "SharedObjects" - this is the usual way, but it does not work dependably if you don't use the web-browser, another way is to save a txt-file via a php-script, but you have to have something like Apache running to get it to work and i doubt the Archos has something like this (but I don't tried it yet...)
    - since the on-screen-keyboard does not show up in the Archos flash-player and I was too lazy to build my own, I had to come up with another idea to enter your name for the highscore list, so I used an oldschool 3-letter-button-clicky-thing (you will see what I mean ;) ) and because I like it, there will be no input box for the web-brower version!

Controls:
    - left/right arrow-keys to move the block
    - up-key to rotate (clockwise)
    - down-key to move down (yeah, no shit Sherlock!)
    - OK-key to start game, pause/unpause and save highscore/go back
    - arrow-key also control the level-chooser (up/down) at the beginning and the highscore-name-thing at the end (up/down/left/right)
    - OR: use the touchscreen!

Have fun playing it, and the most important thing is: Tell me if you find any bugs, solutions of the problems mentioned above or if you have some improvements/additional features, interface improvements or anything else in mind - don't be shy ;), comments and criticism is always welcome, but this is my first big Flash/ActionScript work, so please don't punch me... :lol:

Download-Links:
http://brainmash.piranho.de/tetris/index.php - always the latest version (also find an embedded version for testing here)

Final note: Don't rate it according to how it runs on your PC/MAC, it runs totally different (in matter of control) on the Archos!!!

Really final note: If you find a bug, it runs better or worse than on other users units, tell me your Firmware version, because it might have some influence (mine is 1.7.13).

Ultimate final note: In order that the game (newer version) can load the old highscores, the filename of the .swf file has to be identical to the old one, otherwise the browser is going to save the new scores in another file (just overwrite the old swf-file).

foxblock out

04/24/08
Edit 01: argh, the links are not working, I am on that...
Edit 02: Added temporary RapidShare-link, because my webspace is kinda fucked up...
Edit 03: Added another link, I hope it woks now
Edit 04: Added key-controls
Edit 05: Updated To-do-List
04/25/08
Edit 06: UPDATE - new version, fixes lags
05/15/08
Edit 07: HUGE UPDATE - new version, adds a lot, blah, etc.

Last edited by foxblock on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 22 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I am a big fan of tetris :D

I think the difference in speed could be that opera is not loaded in the memory as when playing standalone.
For the saving highscores, maybe Cbud can help you out on this. He knows how to save local cookies in flash.

What I am still looking for is a good sodoku game, so if you have nothing todo :lol: .

If you got the link working I will try it and do some tests.

Maurice 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Well, I quickly threw a HTML-page together so you can test-play and download it there, sorry for the ad (it's a stupid free webspace, which I last used like 5 years ago...) :x - I just hope it works, you can find the link in the first post.

divx118 wrote:
For the saving highscores, maybe Cbud can help you out on this. He knows how to save local cookies in flash.

I don't know whether cookies can be used to store all that highscore data and how they work and whether they work in the standalone flash-player...but hey, thanks for the idea anyway, I will look it up :).

divx118 wrote:
What I am still looking for is a good sodoku game, so if you have nothing todo :lol:

To be honest, I just finished school, so I really haven't much to do and I am also thinking about making another game, but I have 2 Flash sudoku games on my Archos, which don't run perfectly (some lags), but speed does not matter that much when you play a round of sudoku... :D - so why make my own one :p.
One even has a built-in sodoku generator with adjustable difficulty level - the other one is pretty easy (too easy for me :lol: )
I can send these in a mail if you wish so...

Last edited by foxblock on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Just did a quick test and noticed some things:

- The HTML version runs a bit slower but not that much, runs it really that slow on your archos. I have the 30Gb 605 wifi with firmware 1.8.03, but I don't think there is any difference in the firmwares depending the opera browser.

- The first time I played the flash game it didn't save my highscore (bug or what you talked about?) The three times I played after that it saved it correctly. The html version did save it correctly the first time so it shouldn't be a bug to answer my own question.
- I would love to see some onscreen buttons for changing the level.
- It would be nice if the text in the pause button changed to start as the game is paused.
- I also love oldschool 3-letter-button-clicky-thing :) , only the arrows up and down on the touch screen could be a bit bigger. (I have thick fingers :D )

This is a game I would like to see some more just not too fancy, but fast and responsive :D . Thanks for taking the effort of making and sharing this.
If I find some more I will let you know.

Maurice 8)

EDIT if you could send it to my E-mail mauricevankruchten at gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks for the response :D

divx118 wrote:
- The first time I played the flash game it didn't save my highscore (bug or what you talked about?) The three times I played after that it saved it correctly. The html version did save it correctly the first time so it shouldn't be a bug to answer my own question.

Yeah as I said, the standalone version is a bit weird in terms of saving, sometimes it saves, sometimes, it doesn't, sometimes it even remembers the highscores after a reboot (or a close-and-reopen), but thats very very rare :lol:

divx118 wrote:
- I would love to see some onscreen buttons for changing the level.
[...]
- I also love oldschool 3-letter-button-clicky-thing :) , only the arrows up and down on the touch screen could be a bit bigger. (I have thick fingers :D )

My fault, I forgot to tell you that you can use the arrow keys on the archos to control all that -.-, I will add that to my first post. btw, I already made these buttons bigger (you can also press somewhat beneath the arrow), but I think it's easier with the "real"-buttons anyway :D

divx118 wrote:
- It would be nice if the text in the pause button changed to start as the game is paused.

I will add that in the next release...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It's great man, thanks a lot!

Post subject: Update! wee!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

microbe wrote:
It's great man, thanks a lot!

Thanks! :D

Minor update - great effect:
    [Fix] The tile now is not redrawn every time it is moved, its drawing area is moved instead

This nearly removes all lag when moving/rotating the tile. Also the web-browser can play it now at (nearly) full speed!!!
I am kinda angry at myself for doing it the other (wrong) way before (silly me!) :x
Because of this great performance boost, I now suggest you play the game with your web browser (if you've bought it) since I still not found any solution for the highscore storage (which works perfectly when playing with the browser).

Updated file can be downloaded at my site. I also changed the layout a bit (you'll now find a changelog there)

foxblock out

Last edited by foxblock on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

is anyone still reading this?
if yes (and I hope so ^^) please leave a reply, it's not just because I am an attention whore, I am also dependent on your review.

So to point it out, leave a comment if you:
  • have found a bug
  • have a general (constructive) comment
  • have an improvement in mind (be it about the interface or the gameplay) - I think the game is far from being perfect ^^
  • have a good idea for a feature (must not affect game speed negatively) - this can be nearly everything. I have to say, that this game is kind of a community project, so I will make it the way you want it, with the content you want...
  • have a good name for the game in mind (but, please, only post this as an addition to one of the points above, we don't need a million "one-word-posts" with name proposals ;)

So to make this post to contain at least a little peace of information here is a temporary changelog of the next version (note, this can change anytime):
    [Add] Touchscreen controls (I am currently beta testing this, and it may not be as accurate as the button-controls but it is a hell more fun :D )
    [Add] Mouse-trails - this is useful for the above
    [Change] Small interface change
    [Fix] Several small bugfixes
    [Fix] Prevent on-screen-keyboard showing up (and being hard to get rid of) - it was of no use anyway...

I am also currently testing the php-save method - does not seem to work so far :(, but I think I will add it to the online version on my site (http://brainmash.piranho.de/tetris/index.php), so we might have a slightly different version there, which saves the highscores on the server, so you can battle for the best online-highscore (against other forum-members)...

Well, I think that's all, did I beg you to leave a reply? ;)

foxblock out

Last edited by foxblock on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:23 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Sooo, long time no update... well here it is finally - the biggest update (nearly triples the filesize).

I am not in the mood to write much, so have a changelog:
    [Add] Touchscreen controls
    [Add] Mouse-trails - this is useful for the above
    [Add] Mouse sensibility adjuster
    [Add] Rotated view
    [Add] Instructions/Controls
    [Add] Custom level selector
    [Change] Interface changes
    [Change] Level selection ranges from 0 to 9 (however, you can still play yourself up to 20)
    [Fix] Prevent on-screen-keyboard showing up (and being hard to get rid of) - it was of no use anyway...
    [Fix] Correct aligning of block in next window
    [Fix] Several small fixes I forgot (I also oranized the code a bit more)

and because I know how lazy you all are ;), have a direct download link:
DOWNLOAD NOW!!
(alternately you can click on that 'WWW' button under my post...)

Well have fun playing and as always leave a reply! :D

foxblock out

PS: Sorry for the 3rd post in a row, but I think otherwise nobody would notice this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks, great game and i appreciate the work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:03 am 
Archos User
Archos User

works really nicely
THANKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:11 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Wow, I am really impressed. That's a great port, and works really well on the archos. Did the new version of flash improve the performance or did you not notice any real difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

first, thanks very much...:D

actually I still have the 1.7.13 firmware, so I have no idea if the new version improves performance, but I doubt it...
if someone who has played this on both an older and the new firmware can make a comparison, I would be happy to be disproved ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Touchscreen controls are really nice :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:35 am 
Archos User
Archos User

It's dead games rising ;)

I released another update for my tetris game which I think you might like..
It's small and does not chnage much of the game itself, to make it short:

I added an online highscore list (wee!)

Download it here (or click the banner in my signature).

This is a beta (or even alpha) version, so keep in mind that there still might be some bugs.
Also note that you can only submit a highscore every 5 minutes. I had to add this to prevent spamming, becuase the highscore list currently runs without limitations (will change that).
Also also note that you can't submit scores if you run the game on your PC, but I might add a seperate PC highscore list later...

To submit a highscore, you must score a local highscore and then tick the little checkbox under the submit button on the final screen (don't forget to set your name) - an internet connection is required, of course. (Does only work playing the html-embedded version using the opera browser, sorry)

Currently there is no option to display the online highscores in-game, but I am working on that (in other words: there will be another update comming out soon). I am just tired and thought it would be nice to share what I have done so far - I hope you like it.

To all those who still wait for that touchscreen game: I am also working on that (yeah, really!), the online highscore was created for the touch-game, I just thought it would be nice to have it in my tetris clone, too. Expect a demo soon (next week, or so - no promises ;) ).

Well, have fun batteling for the highest score againt other forum members ;)

foxblock out

PS: Comments are always welcome :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Iam new to the archos world! i only like the hold em game that archos has so far and am a fan of tetris but i cant get it to work!! i tried to save it to the flash folder but with no luck!! :x i have a 605 and i i could get directions on how to install it that would be greatly appreciated!!! thanx for ur time! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

after you've downloaded it, you will end up with a .zip file. This is not a widget, so go ahead and extract it to your Archos player (maybe you want to create a folder called 'Tetris' or just extract it into the 'Flash' folder). A .swf and a .html file will be created.

1. The .swf file is the game and can be started via the file browser or (if you've saved it to the 'Flash' folder) via the Widgets -> Flash games menu. You can open this file even if you've not bought the browser plugin, but the highscore list (offline/online) won't work.

2. The .html file has the game embedded (the .swf file has to be in the same folder as the .html file) and can be opened via the file browser (you'll need the web browser plugin). Using this method to start the game the highscore list will work properly, but the game will run a bit slower /more laggy.

It's up to you to decide. I recommend using the html file (if you are owner of the plugin) because a highscore list adds much fun to the game and it does not run much slower (still very good playable).

foxblock out

PS: welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay here... :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thank u very much!! i got it workin and i dig it! also i had another question..are there any websites that have games that will play on the archos properly?? ive been goin and goin and cant find any that work right!! they either run waaaayyy slow or just dont work at all. any game suggestions or websites??!! also can u download other software to the archos similar to shockwave to play other games?? thx for ur time its greatly appreciated!!

Jonny D!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

well, if you had searched this forum a bit more properly you would have found these topics:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13369
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15606

there are also some archos related websites out there, but I don't remember the links, so you have to search them yourself (they have been mentioned some times in this forum)

second, you can't install any software on the archos (like shockwave), because the os is locked, sorry you'll have to stick with flash and widgets (javascript)...

foxblock out

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:09 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

foxblock wrote:
So...

after waiting some days to be able to log in, I finally made it and now I present you my self-made Tetris-clone.

Long, lameass text following, scroll down for the download link!

From beginning of development I always wanted it to run smooth on the Archos (605) and not to look fancy (so don't expect that) or have a lot of effects (yeah, you are getting disappointed now...), but to have full functionality (highscores, etc.).
I ran into a lot of problems due to the Archos' Flash Lite, oh well... I don't believe much in rumours, but it has been said that Flash 9 is on the way, which would be cool, because it fixes a lot of problems, but everyone interested in terms of programming should read the "programming" section at the end.

Now I release the current version to the public and I think it runs pretty good - compared to other games I tried (like the neave.com Tetris which is just unplayable...).
Enough said, have a list of functions:

Functions:
    - diferent speed levels (who would have thought...)
    - user is able to pause the game at any time
    - the next block is shown
    - score-, line and level-count
    - runs pretty smooth
    - simple, oldschool interface
    - local highscore (challenge your friends!)
    - physical button support or in-game buttons
    - playable with or without the web-browser-plugin
    - touchscreen controls!
    - 2 view modes: normal + rotated (by 90┬░)
    - NEW! Online Highscore NEW!

To-do List:
    - another way to save the highscore (see "programming" section for details)
    - improve tile (I-tile) rotation
    - fix small lag after dropping a tile (before a new one is created) or clearing a row
    - ...everything else you want to have (gamemodes anyone?)...

There are two versions available - one for those without the web-browser-plugin and one for everyone else who has bought it (well it's just an additional html-file with the embedded flash-game). This sounds cool and all, buuut each version has it's pro and cons (most of which I can't fix, sadly):

Web-browser version:
    + Highscore is saved - no matter what - until you format the HDD or delete the local files of the browser
    - scaled down because of the status bars
    - to be able to use the up/down-buttons to choose the level you have to click anywhere inside the game or play it at least once
Simple Flash verion:
    + runs slightly better (minor lags when you clear a row)
    + fully-sized
    - highscore is not very stable, it is deleted every now and then and sometimes it does not save at all (again, tell me why, but it seems to be the same with the standalone flash player on my PC)
I suggest you play the game with your web-browser (if you've bought it), because saves correctly and nearly runs as smooth as the standalone version.

Programming: (you should only read this if you are forced to do so ;))
    - Flash Lite does not support "Broadcasters", which are used to provide a constant key-response (just hit a key and don't let go and you will see what i mean - there is a short lag after the first symbol), this does not matter really much while the Archos-Keys basically have this constant key-response (of course I noticed this after I programmed all the stuff, oh well...)
    - I am saving the highscore using "SharedObjects" - this is the usual way, but it does not work dependably if you don't use the web-browser, another way is to save a txt-file via a php-script, but you have to have something like Apache running to get it to work and i doubt the Archos has something like this (but I don't tried it yet...)
    - since the on-screen-keyboard does not show up in the Archos flash-player and I was too lazy to build my own, I had to come up with another idea to enter your name for the highscore list, so I used an oldschool 3-letter-button-clicky-thing (you will see what I mean ;) ) and because I like it, there will be no input box for the web-brower version!

Controls:
    - left/right arrow-keys to move the block
    - up-key to rotate (clockwise)
    - down-key to move down (yeah, no shit Sherlock!)
    - OK-key to start game, pause/unpause and save highscore/go back
    - arrow-key also control the level-chooser (up/down) at the beginning and the highscore-name-thing at the end (up/down/left/right)
    - OR: use the touchscreen!

Have fun playing it, and the most important thing is: Tell me if you find any bugs, solutions of the problems mentioned above or if you have some improvements/additional features, interface improvements or anything else in mind - don't be shy ;), comments and criticism is always welcome, but this is my first big Flash/ActionScript work, so please don't punch me... :lol:

Download-Links:
http://brainmash.piranho.de/tetris/index.php - always the latest version (also find an embedded version for testing here)

Final note: Don't rate it according to how it runs on your PC/MAC, it runs totally different (in matter of control) on the Archos!!!

Really final note: If you find a bug, it runs better or worse than on other users units, tell me your Firmware version, because it might have some influence (mine is 1.7.13).

Ultimate final note: In order that the game (newer version) can load the old highscores, the filename of the .swf file has to be identical to the old one, otherwise the browser is going to save the new scores in another file (just overwrite the old swf-file).

foxblock out

04/24/08
Edit 01: argh, the links are not working, I am on that...
Edit 02: Added temporary RapidShare-link, because my webspace is kinda fucked up...
Edit 03: Added another link, I hope it woks now
Edit 04: Added key-controls
Edit 05: Updated To-do-List
04/25/08
Edit 06: UPDATE - new version, fixes lags
05/15/08
Edit 07: HUGE UPDATE - new version, adds a lot, blah, etc.

Hey, foxblcok, great Tetris clone, it really runs smoothly on my Archos 5 and provides me and my girlfriend many hours of fun :)
One or two things I've observed that really bug me:

-The pause button kind of gets in the way when I'm playing the game in rotated mode. Often times, I find myself accidently pausing the game when I'm trying to maneuver blocks. Is it possible to have the pause button moved to the bottom of the page in a future version?
-When I "grab" the speed slider down at the bottom of the page to control the speed of the game, I'm able to manipulate the slider, but I can't return the locus of control to the game afterwards. Is this a bug or a feature? If it's a bug, could you look into it?

many thanks

dnc