Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: HP 210 Enterprise
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Okay, let's try this again.

Just when you thought the pure PocketPC concept was dead HP surprises us all by releasing a new series - the iPaq 210 (or 214 in the UK). Brief spec:

Windows Mobile 6
4" 640x480 VGA screen. Transflective so you will be able to view it in sunlight.
Completely transparent touchscreen membrane.
Latest generation 624MHz PXA310 ARM based CPU. Plenty of grunt and hardware video acceleration.
2200mAh battery. Should be good for at least 6 hours. 4400mAh battery available.
Wifi with WPA2.
Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR.
SDHC slot. Nice as I have an 8GB card.
Compact Flash Slot. Even nicer as I have a 16GB one of these as well! Gives me 24GB of storage. More than enough.
Bucket loads of apps out there. e.g. TCMP which gives Divx, OGG, Flac, AAC etc playback. Games, astronomy apps, ewallets, Opera, email, ebooks etc etc
Media Player 11 for WMV.
Skype.
Messenging.
GPS mapping software available.
Sync all your contact details, task lists, email etc to your Windows/Linux PC.
Software SDK available.
Standard mini-usb for charge and transfer. USB host facility.
Stylus storage slot.
Exactly the same size and weight as a 605.
Looks quite nice too!

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm ... 44499.html

Now the best bit - Only £225 inc VAT. Got one on order straight away and it's due on the 5th of November. I'll post a mini review.

Oh, and you can have a smartphone version as well if you want.

Please note that this thread contains no criticism of Archos whatsoever and thus fulfills the rules of the Competitor forum. I've posted this for information only. I will not post anything else on this thread until the unit arrives.

Post subject: Re: HP 210 Enterprise
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

censored wrote:
Okay, let's try this again.

Just when you thought the pure PocketPC concept was dead HP surprises us all by releasing a new series - the iPaq 210 (or 214 in the UK). Brief spec:

Windows Mobile 6
... ... ...

Now the best bit - Only £225 inc VAT. Got one on order straight away and it's due on the 5th of November. I'll post a mini review.

Oh, and you can have a smartphone version as well if you want.

Please note that this thread contains no criticism of Archos whatsoever and thus fulfills the rules of the Competitor forum. I've posted this for information only. I will not post anything else on this thread until the unit arrives.

HP will contact you in a day or so saying that your order has been cancelled. They will tell you that the 200 series won't come out till 2008, late February at the earliest.

I am eagerly awaiting the iPAQ 200 series and will be ordering one the day a release date is officially announced by HP.

That said, I do not consider an HP iPAQ 200 to be a competitor to the Archos PMPs, it is a PDA, the Archos is a PMP, and the Nokia N800/N810 is an internet tablet. Has no one heard of the old apples/oranges adage?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yarrenbool wrote:
HP will contact you in a day or so saying that your order has been cancelled. They will tell you that the 200 series won't come out till 2008, late February at the earliest.

I am eagerly awaiting the iPAQ 200 series and will be ordering one the day a release date is officially announced by HP.

That said, I do not consider an HP iPAQ 200 to be a competitor to the Archos PMPs, it is a PDA, the Archos is a PMP, and the Nokia N800/N810 is an internet tablet. Has no one heard of the old apples/oranges adage?

I got a change of delivery time yesterday. It went from October the 27th to November the 5th. Perhaps more slippage will occur. Hopefully not! Fingers crossed.
As promised, I'm going to say no more about functionality until I have it in my hand. I will functionally compare it to my Archos then.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

censored wrote:

That really sounds nice. With the rather big screen and the good media player this might be a viable PMP, especially with the good expansion slots.

For how long would the 2200mAh battery last when playing videos? Any guesses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:

So, can we get a clarification about what exactly is a "Competitor?' I'd like to know this so my comments are not placed in the "Trash Talk." Since the Archos is considered so unique on this forum, that means it has no competition. Just asking. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

alankayser wrote:
Quote:

So, can we get a clarification about what exactly is a "Competitor?' I'd like to know this so my comments are not placed in the "Trash Talk." Since the Archos is considered so unique on this forum, that means it has no competition. Just asking. Thanks.

Yep, I see what you mean.

I guess what I'm trying to say, not too clearly, is that it does annoy me when people say the N800 is "crap" because it can't play certain formats of video that the 605 can or does better, but those same people would really complain if someone else said that the Archos 605 is "crap" because its web browser is no where near as good as the N800's.

One is designed as an internet tablet, the other as a PMP and each is the best at what it is designed to do. However both have problems, even in their specialities.

I own and really like my Archos 605-160 and my Nokia N800. I own and use many many times each day a Palm Tungsten T3 - a PDA with great PIM capabilities, not an internet tablet though it can kind of do it, not a PMP though it can certainly do that too. As Palm OS is pretty well dead I'm looking forward to getting an HP iPAQ 210 when it's released, but I won't expect it to be the best internet tablet though it can do the job, nor the best PMP though it will be able to do a pretty good job at that too, but I do expect it to be a great PDA with great PIM capabilities that neither the Archos 605 nor the Nokia N800 can come close to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yarrenbool, you are the voice of reason. It's refreshing to get this kind of feedback from you. A few of us just get tired of the negative talk on this thread, mostly about competition. Some folks just don't understand the point you have made, ie an Internet tablet is not a PMP, and so on. If I come on here and praise X product, that does not mean that I am degrading Y product. A while back I posted about UMPC. It was immediately met with, "UMPCs are crap." Now I never said a negative word about Archos, so why be so derogatory about another product. There was no need for that. It seems to me that the N810, the Archos 605, the iPod, Raon Everun etc all have a place because everyone's needs are different. But some people insist on bad mouthing things like the new HP PDA, even without ever using one. Reading specs means nothing. It's how the consumer will use it that counts.

I was brought up this way, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Anyway, thanks for your clear headed comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree N800 and N810 is good for Skype, SIP, lots of maemo apps and browsing other then Flash and video sites. I don't think anyone argues even Nokia Tablet Blog supporters, that video support of the N800 and N810 is indeed crap, crap as in videos have to be in a small resolution and bitrate to even work.

I had to move this thread to Trash Talk cause it's again moving totally out of topic and starting over on unrelated discussions, also mitchelln should post under his real username.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No, you moved it to trash talk for no reason at all. It does not violate any of the rules of this forum. A question was asked and answered. In what way does that violate the rules?

I don't expect an answer, or at least one that makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Why has this been moved here? This is simply ridiculous. My post did not even mention Archos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:52 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
also mitchelln should post under his real username.

How tiresome. As I've explained at least 3 times, my mitchelln account had been disabled. So I had created a new one. I made it very clear it who I was. Some nice mod has since re-enabled my mitchelln account and also had the sense to re-instate my HP post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
I had to move this thread to Trash Talk cause it's again moving totally out of topic and starting over on unrelated discussions, also mitchelln should post under his real username.

Huh? Where is this remotely related to "Trash Talk"? This device with its two expansion slots and big screen is an excellent example of a competitor to the 605, at least IMO, and no-one dissed the Archos here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that you can see the 2-3 reasons this was moved in Trash Talk, I don't think I need to point out which they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Cantello wrote:
Charbax wrote:

Huh? Where is this remotely related to "Trash Talk"? This device with its two expansion slots and big screen is an excellent example of a competitor to the 605, at least IMO, and no-one dissed the Archos here.

I know, it was ridiculous censorship. Luckily one of the other mods moved it back to the Competitor thread (minus other people's comments though).
Welcome to ArchosFans. Things are done a little differently here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

censored wrote:
Cantello wrote:
Charbax wrote:

I know, it was ridiculous censorship. Luckily one of the other mods moved it back to the Competitor thread (minus other people's comments though).
Welcome to ArchosFans. Things are done a little differently here.

Ooops. Sorry used my temporary blockage account by mistake. Don't want to cause further confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
I think that you can see the 2-3 reasons this was moved in Trash Talk, I don't think I need to point out which they are.

Honestly, no, I cannot. Trash Talk: "[...]Threads that contain harsh criticism of Archos[...]".

But as it seems, this is a moot point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Cantello

You just don't get it. There are 2-3 reasons. That should be enough for you. (Oh, you want to know what they are?) Well, there are 2-3 reasons. That should be enough for you...

"Harsh criticism" is mentioning any product in a positive light that is not an Archos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Here is the rationale for "Trash Talk."

Quote:
I think it could be great for people who want to know what people that are against Archos are saying they can see all the threads in one forum section and they can make their own opinion if they want to be an Archos fan or an Archos basher.

This is the Archos fans forum, some people are fans of Archos for a reason, so if you don't want to be a fan, you are welcome to bash against it all you want in this trash talk section of this forum.

Now unless I am missing something, there is not one negative word in this thread about Archos. So indeed this is his form of censorship. The amusing thing here is that this section will indeed push some people away because they can see all the negative comments in one place. And if indeed this is a forum for fans, why are fans like myself being thrown in here for merely discussing other products? What this has done is made an enjoyable trip to Forum Archosfans into a depressing journey. If one person decides what can be posted, then the use of the word forum is incorrect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Archos bashing, personal attacks, provocation and blatant off-topic discussions.

Those are some of the reasons I think are totally reasonable to move this topic here.

It doesn't have to be in the original post starting the thread, it can be people like alankayser coming in a ruining the thread by talking trash. So if it's just a small trashing bashing comment, I might delete only that comment (very rare though), but if that comment has lead to several posts that are unrelated to the topic of discussing competitors, if people wouldn't find any interest in reading those off-topic bashing, then that thread is moved.

If you want to discuss the policy of the Trash Talk section, you do it in the trash talk section, don't start posting in all other parts of the forum asking what constitutes trash talking.

So the bashing can continue in the Trash Talk section, and not stay and pollute the civilised parts of this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

OK, maybe you can explain where "bashing" took place? I certainly would like to know for future reference. Rather odd since comments that could even be remotely construed as "bashing" took place AFTER you so arbitrarily moved Mitchelln's original post here.

On the other hand don't bother. I am completely sick of this. Your site is worthless at this point. It's a shame because it used to be pretty cool. But now if you don't get all kissy you get put in the trash.

All this because you don't like UMPCs, Apple, Microsoft, Asus, Sony, the USA or its uncivilized people, and so on. It's not at all about Archos bashing, because you cannot find even one place where I have commented negatively about any Archos product.